Low carb (keto or otherwise) for June!

Replies

• jajohnso77
    jajohnso77 Posts: 28 Member
    Hello!

Starting weight in Dec: 280 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    Final goal weight: 175 lbs

I'm also doing the r/keto 6-week challenge which started last week and my goal is 15lbs. My starting weight for the 6-week challenge was 230 lbs so I've lost 3 lbs in the last week - 12 lbs to go to reach my goal for this cycle.

KCKO everyone!

- JJ

• jajohnso77
    jajohnso77 Posts: 28 Member
    Kihi wrote: »
    I've never heard of KETO before but found this while searching low carb. I have no idea where to begin! I need a plan, please help!! Thanks in advance!

I don't think this violates any rules of these boards, but this is a link to the Keto FAQ on Reddit and that's what I used when I started back in December. Good luck!
  • tifano
    tifano Posts: 155 Member
    edited June 2017
    Soucekka wrote: »
    Are there any good Keto recipes out there? What do you eat?

I got and still do get a lot of recipes off Pintrest. Google too. There's a lot of good information out there just search for it.

Here's what I eat on a daily basis and I keep it simple because I can't do complex because once I start making it hard it stops working for me. I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch and I eat what I do for the simple fact of ease and cost effectiveness.

Breakfast: 1/2 cup 4% Cottage cheese, 100 calorie pack of almond/walnuts mix from Aldi, 2 SIMMS beef sticks from Aldi (If I have bacon pre-made I'll eat that too), a serving of raw broccoli. Every morning I drink two cups of coffee too with a tablespoon of heavy whipping cream between the two cups of coffee.

Lunch: full avocado, 2 hard boiled eggs (I buy these pre-made because no matter what I try I can't get my eggs right and I wind up losing more than half the egg white so this saves me time and in the long run money because I'm not wasting egg. I've tried every trick known to man and I still can't seem to get it), full fat string cheese and broccoli.

Dinner: source of protein and big dark green salad with olive oil (tablespoon) and vinegar for dressing.

Just keep it simple and you'll do just fine. In the beginning you might need more to eat while your body is adapting to this way of eating and that's fine. You might gain weight in the beginning too just stay the course and be patient and maybe even put the scale away and don't weigh yourself the 1st month.

Here's a great site too for lots of keto information for beginners: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto
  • donsa_h
    donsa_h Posts: 1 Member
    Hello could I still join in? Thanks Donna
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Soucekka wrote: »
    I'd like to join. I'm tired of struggling with this weight and have seen so many be successful on a keto (low carb diet); I personally started June 1, 2017 - so I'd love to be part of this discussion board as well.
    I'm starting at 265 (5 foot 5) - I've got over 100 pounds (or close to) to lose.....what ratio of carbs is healthy for me? I had a friend keep hers to 30 grams of carbs - is that realistic?

I would recommend determining what your calorie goal for each day is, and then setting your macros so that 5% is carbohydrates, 25% is protein, and 75% is fat. That should give you a good idea as to how many grams of carbs you should eat each day. However, if all else fails, generally keeping them around 30 is a good rule of thumb, especially in the beginning.
  • megdnoorman
    @Michelletrk welcome!
    @Asyd_burnz I wouldn't say it's the same as porridge, but it is similar. It's sort of like tapioca putting if you like that. But I like it more than tapioca.
  • megdnoorman
    @mrsfreeland welcome!
    @tifano welcome and congratulations on your loss and remission! I hope your health continues to improve :)
  • megdnoorman
    Kihi wrote: »
    I've never heard of KETO before but found this while searching low carb. I have no idea where to begin! I need a plan, please help!! Thanks in advance!

Take a look at this board https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group it has tons of good info on keto and low carb diets.
  • megdnoorman
    bergerm05 wrote: »
    6/6 335 carbs - 34 g fiber = 301 net carbs

WT: 324.2

Capital Grille last night, sodium bomb.

Ugh :/ chin up and keep moving forward! I had a similar day last weekend.

Lost 5 lbs this month so far eating like that. My chin is up!

If you are able to lose weight at 300 + grams of carbs daily than I am very jealous lol. Congrats on the loss!

• megdnoorman
    @dhuyleur and @jajohnso77 welcome to the challenge!

@donsa_h anyone can join at any time :) what are your stats?
  • kater935
    kater935 Posts: 1 Member
    June 1 295 carbs 2822 Cal
    June 2 214 carbs 2594 Cal
    June 3 325 carbs 3034 Cal
    June 4 296 carbs 2815 Cal
    June 5 221 carbs 2942 Cal

6/1/17 Starting weight 329.7
    6/6/17 today 324.1

Strength train 4 days a week, with 30 to 45 minutes of steps 2 days and one rest day.

Nice!! So you're eating all the food still and losing weight? Your numbers are incredible.
  • Kimberlyrobinson87
    Kimberlyrobinson87 Posts: 24 Member
    End of day 7.

Total carbs: 31
    Net carbs: 18g

Total calories: 1105
  • lovelifehealth
    lovelifehealth Posts: 71 Member
    64 - 17 = 47
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Total 28
    Net 21

Well yesterday was my weigh in day, and I am down 4 more pounds this week! It is encouraging to see the weight coming off each week and this was a pretty big week. I really feel like I have gotten into a good groove with the eating now it is all about keeping it going. I did have a good lifting session last night and tonight I will get some cardio in, something quick like an elliptical HIIT session.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Tuesday 45 total - 11 fiber = 36 net
    Wednesday 30 total - 8 = 22 net

Beets for dinner!
  • dianasturgeon
    dianasturgeon Posts: 4 Member
    Would love some advice please. I've lost 9 pounds since 5/31 but the last 3 days nothing. I've been in ketosis and been within my macros of 5% carbs, 75% fat & 25% protein so anyone have ideas on why I might be stalled?
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Would love some advice please. I've lost 9 pounds since 5/31 but the last 3 days nothing. I've been in ketosis and been within my macros of 5% carbs, 75% fat & 25% protein so anyone have ideas on why I might be stalled?

Stop weighing yourself everyday... pick one day a week and use that to measure yourself. Too many variables go into your weight at any given moment. Trust the process
  • wljohn
    wljohn Posts: 4,981 Member
    June 7th -
    Total calories 1585
    total carbs 37 grams
    net carbs 19 grams
  • megdnoorman
    6/7

Total: 52
    Net: 51

Obviously not my best :( only 1 gram of fiber... so... yeah. I need to stop "fitting" sugary items into my carb alottment.
  • megdnoorman
    GorillaNJ wrote: »
    Total 28
    Net 21

Well yesterday was my weigh in day, and I am down 4 more pounds this week! It is encouraging to see the weight coming off each week and this was a pretty big week. I really feel like I have gotten into a good groove with the eating now it is all about keeping it going. I did have a good lifting session last night and tonight I will get some cardio in, something quick like an elliptical HIIT session.

Congrats! That's great.