• megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    palsky wrote: »
    kenapaul wrote: »
    How can I join in?

Repost megdnoorman
    Anyone is welcome to join at any time!

Just post your starting weight and your weight loss goal (along with any other goals) in your first post.

Goals:

- Keep your carbs under 50 grams total.
    - Track total and net carbs daily and post them here.
    - Stay within your calorie goal.
    - Update everyone on your weight loss.
    - Provide support and advice to fellow low-carbers!

Let's kick off June and lose some weight!

Thanks! ;)
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    jmpaul88 wrote: »
    Hello.
    Starting Keto on June 7! Is this a good place for support and ideas?! I noticed not a lot of activity in the posts for the last several days?
    Thx,
    Jeff

As @palsky said, this challenge is for accountability. Yes, we share support and ideas, but the point is accountability. If you haven't already, consider checking out the low carber board, which has tons of ideas, recipes, and support:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    Day 7.. still feeling fatigued and sleepy..when does this energy surge come?

You may have "keto flu" take a look at this sticky:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10358179/low-sodium-and-keto-flu-electrolyte-imbalance-may-be-your-problem#latest

• megdnoorman
    Options
    bergerm05 wrote: »
    6/6 335 carbs - 34 g fiber = 301 net carbs

WT: 324.2

Capital Grille last night, sodium bomb.

Ugh :/ chin up and keep moving forward! I had a similar day last weekend.
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    palsky wrote: »
    Man tried a curry simmer sauce hit like 32 net carbs biggest day since I started. Oops but enjoyed the variation in my diet. I didn't measure it so can't be sure how much I ate. Always measure peeps.

Sounds delicious. I love curry.
  • megdnoorman
    edited June 2017
    Options

GorillaNJ wrote: »
    Total 24
    Net 17

All in all it was a pretty good day food wise. Work was a killer and train delays heading home had me miss my cardio session. Yeah I know it is just an excuse... but I'll get my lifting in tonight before heading to my oldest sons first lacrosse practice with the high school team as an incoming freshman. He is a Goalie and I know is a bit nervous seeing some of those seniors fire shots on goal.

I played soccer in high school and I refused to be considered for the goalie position, even as a 3rd string. I couldn't handle the pressure! People who play goalie in any position have to have nerves of steel. Good luck to your son!
  • Asyd_burnz
    Asyd_burnz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 199 lbs give or take...my aim is for 38g of carbs a day, 70g of fat, 158g of protein, adding up to 1400 calories a day!! Still tweaking it a bit, trying to incorporate some kind of porridge in the morning...I keep seeing overnight oats and keen to try these anyone having porridge for breakfast, if so what's the lowest carb porridge?? I have three quaker oats super goodness oats, they came out to 22g of carbs, and 16g for the milk, so have to take these off the menu I think, I did have a look at substituting the skimmed milk for koko coconut milk which I have in my tea...that shaved off 13g of carbs!!

Anyway I'm rambling...Hi :)
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    Asyd_burnz wrote: »
    I'm 199 lbs give or take...my aim is for 38g of carbs a day, 70g of fat, 158g of protein, adding up to 1400 calories a day!! Still tweaking it a bit, trying to incorporate some kind of porridge in the morning...I keep seeing overnight oats and keen to try these anyone having porridge for breakfast, if so what's the lowest carb porridge?? I have three quaker oats super goodness oats, they came out to 22g of carbs, and 16g for the milk, so have to take these off the menu I think, I did have a look at substituting the skimmed milk for koko coconut milk which I have in my tea...that shaved off 13g of carbs!!

Hello and welcome :)

Have you considered chia pudding? You can also set it up in the evening and eat it in the morning. I make it with unsweetened almond milk and eat it with crushed walnuts and a few blueberries. Chia seeds are high in protein, fiber and fat so they can fit really well into a low carb / ketogenic diet.
  • Soucekka
    Soucekka Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join. I'm tired of struggling with this weight and have seen so many be successful on a keto (low carb diet); I personally started June 1, 2017 - so I'd love to be part of this discussion board as well.
    I'm starting at 265 (5 foot 5) - I've got over 100 pounds (or close to) to lose.....what ratio of carbs is healthy for me? I had a friend keep hers to 30 grams of carbs - is that realistic?
  • Michelletrk
    Michelletrk Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I just started Monday started at 184 down to 182 so far this week goal weight of 175 by the end of June and total goal of 135, no processed carbs for me, trying to eat all my carbs with fruits and veggies :smile:
  • Asyd_burnz
    Asyd_burnz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Asyd_burnz wrote: »

Hello and welcome :)

Have you considered chia pudding? You can also set it up in the evening and eat it in the morning. I make it with unsweetened almond milk and eat it with crushed walnuts and a few blueberries. Chia seeds are high in protein, fiber and fat so they can fit really well into a low carb / ketogenic diet.

No haven't tried Chia pudding, does it taste like porridge?? I'll give it a whirl I have seen this mentioned before... I do love bacon and sausage for breakfast but its not the same without the inch thick pieces of bread :) So need something else. I'll buy some chia seeds later on before my shift at sainsburys :) I'll let you know how it goes :)

• mrsfreeland
    mrsfreeland Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm new - playing with Keto, Whole30 and Paleo. Basically just going low-carb, high fat and protein and seeing what happens. Starting weight was 270, down to 252 and holding steady so trying to break through. My immediate goal is to reach 240 and then go from there, 10 pounds at a time until I break the 200 barrier.
  • tifano
    tifano Posts: 155 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hi Friends. I just saw this thread. I've been on mfp for years but never really apart of the communities. I started KETO on 01/22/17 at 225 pounds. I'm 44 years old and I'm 5' 3" tall. As of June 1st I hit my first big milestone. I weighed in at 199.4 pounds!

Just a little about me.....I've struggled with obesity my entire adult life. When I met my husband more than 20 years ago at that time I was my heaviest at 180. When we got married in 1998 I was already up to 240 pounds. My heaviest with out being pregnant (I have 2 kids...now 15 and 12) is 275 pounds. In 2015 I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer. I've been in remission now for 18 months. Once I completed all of my cancer treatments I vowed to do everything in my power to live my most healthy life possible which included losing the weight once and for all. I've been equally terrified of success and failure and I had to work through a lot to get over myself and my fears. The reality is I'm not that big of a deal and I can't let what I think people may or may not think of me rule my life and my health. I started with a local coach in my area in Feb 2016 and I started with IIFYM (If it fits your macros) way of eating. I started close to 250 pounds in Feb 2016 and got as low as 220 with IIFYM, then my weight started creeping back up, I had TERRIBLE joint pain and could barely move, the brain fog (chemo brain) was terrible and I had ZERO energy. I heard great things about KETO and the benefits to cancer patients (I won't go into details here if you want to know more I suggest do your own research). I was sick and tired of being sick and tired physically and mentally...I thought to myself this is no way to survive cancer treatment.

I started KETO as I mentioned 01/22/17 at 225. My IIFYM coach did let me go as a client. Within 3 days all of my joint pain was go, I felt mentally clear and the chemo brain was lifting, I could move without pain and I was starting to get my energy back. I did go through a few days of the keto flu but just kept my water intake up and salt up. In Feb 2017 I did start with a new KETO coach locally. He owns a crossfit gym and I work out with him twice a week and we talk all things KETO. I also check in with him weekly on my weight and he adjusts my macros if I need to

As of today I'm at 197.4 pounds, I feel AMAZING!!! I'm able to work out 5-6 days a week, I'm breaking my own personal records in the gym, etc. For once in my entire adult life I feel like success is mine and I can see and feel the goal. My suggestions for the new person starting out is keep it super simple. Don't over think it or try to overdo it. If it's not simple I will not do it. I have too much to do in my life to make this way of eating or any way of eating challenging. Food is fuel PERIOD.

KETO is hard in the beginning, once you start and get a groove you'll ask yourself how did I not do this sooner. I love this way of life/eating and so does my medical team! My oncologist is super thrilled I'm doing a KETO nutrition protocol.

So my goals for the month of June is to continue to kick KETO bootie and keep living the best life possible!! Really glad I found this group and thanks for letting me share!
  • tifano
    Options
    Soucekka wrote: »
    I'd like to join. I'm tired of struggling with this weight and have seen so many be successful on a keto (low carb diet); I personally started June 1, 2017 - so I'd love to be part of this discussion board as well.
    I'm starting at 265 (5 foot 5) - I've got over 100 pounds (or close to) to lose.....what ratio of carbs is healthy for me? I had a friend keep hers to 30 grams of carbs - is that realistic?

The rule of thumb for pretty much all keto is 20 net carbs (carbs-fiber = net carbs). There are a lot of good calculators out there to determine what macros are best for you. I get all my carbs from avocados and green above ground veggies (mainly broccoli and spinach)
  • tifano
    Options
    Day 7.. still feeling fatigued and sleepy..when does this energy surge come?

Soon keep your salt up... drink some dill pickle juice and keep your fats up. Right now while you're adapting don't worry about the scale just keep eating KETO foods and keeping the salt up. You're body is about to reward you if you keep it up.
  • Kihi
    Kihi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of KETO before but found this while searching low carb. I have no idea where to begin! I need a plan, please help!! Thanks in advance!
  • Soucekka
    Soucekka Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are there any good Keto recipes out there? What do you eat?
  • bergerm05
    bergerm05 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    bergerm05 wrote: »
    6/6 335 carbs - 34 g fiber = 301 net carbs

WT: 324.2

Capital Grille last night, sodium bomb.

Ugh :/ chin up and keep moving forward! I had a similar day last weekend.

Lost 5 lbs this month so far eating like that. My chin is up!
  • dhuyleur
    dhuyleur Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Starting weight was in Jan 243 did keto and lost 20 lbs and went down to 223 and now my current weight is 224 lbs. Starting over Again. Goal weight is 170 or lowest 165. :)