Beautiful Behaviors - June 2017

Options

Replies

• str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies...

I'm still here lurking in the background and reading all your posts.

I have decided to give up caffeine as I cannot have it with the med I am on. So after a little over a week, just going to go with it. I don't really miss it and it helps with my water intake so....turning it into a beautiful behavior.
    Always have to see the bright side right? I'm still not feeling well but we will see how it goes. Hoping this week is better.

I see others are not doing well either...I hope you all feel better soon.

Beautiful behaviors for the week

- stick with no caffeine
    - get back to logging regularly
    - get back to logging my workouts also
    - get up and get moving more even if I do not feel great(I always feel better after a workout)

Have a great Monday ladies!
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I, too, have been lurking in the background, feeling like I haven't been trying hard enough to actually participate. My husband suggest that he and I start tracking our % weight loss, so I thought this might be a good time to jump back in. I've been pretty good with tracking my food during the week, but not on the weekend.

My beautiful behaviors this week will be:
    - try to check in with you beautiful ladies on a regular basis
    - log ALL of my intake, even on weekends
    - start exercising a bit. I'm very out of shape, so I need to start slow. I want to take our dog for a good walk every day (good for both of us and she loves it!), and maybe do a bit of biking and some free weights.

@rheddmobile: Hope you get good news with your husband's results!

Hope everyone has a fabulous week!
  • CT0526
    CT0526 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon! I'm sorry for not checking in sooner. The last couple of weeks have been hectic! We've had swim meets, weddings, birthday parties etc. So it's been wonderful but I'm tired!

Good news is that I've done pretty well tracking my calories. Total weight loss as of today is 25 lbs! My husband has lost 21 lbs. He is just a 4 pounds from his goal weight!

My goals for this week are staying in calorie range and tackling my stack of household paperwork. I was able to get about half of that paperwork done this morning, so I'm hoping I'll finish it by Wednesday.

I hope everyone has a great week of Beautiful Behaviors!
  • aleahurst
    aleahurst Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hello to all. I'm just soaking up the good attitudes!!
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I've had a much better week so far compared to my saturday night rant. My family planned dinner with my extended family at a perfect time and it didn't go super late! I also had my job interview and I think it went well. I should hear back later this week! Praying for a positive result, hoping they'll give me weekday evening hours. I also decided that if I get this job I may back away from my gym membership. It's a 15-20 minute drive from my house and it's been hard to get there in the mornings, so I bought a pair of adjustable gold's gym dumbbells for home. I also have an exercise bike for when I want it. I figure it may save me money and stress if I have all the stuff I need here. I realized one morning that most of what I do is free weights up to 20 lbs, and I thought, gee, I could buy those! So I found some at walmart. Already feeling less stressed.

How have you all reduced some stress this week?

@rheddmobile thats so nice that you helped keep him busy! Way to step out of your comfort zone in a positive way :smile:
    @str8bowbabe I hope your de-caffienating goes well! You got this!!
    @Ct0526 Thats AMAZING!!!!!

@aleahurst I can sense some positive energy this week too! It's a great blessing isn't it!
  • rdevol
    Options
    Good morning, ladies! I've been tracking my food pretty well, not necessarily eating cleanly, but more aware of my food intake. I ended up going to dinner with my sibs and aunt Monday night, so didn't get to walk, but for a good reason. Last night I tackled some paperwork that has been hanging over my head and stressing me out, so again, didn't exercise, but for a worthy cause. My hubby and I need to complete some paperwork for a financial planner so we can get our act together financially. It's rather overwhelming and I've been avoiding it, so I finally forced myself to start on it last night. I know I'll feel so much better once we do what we need to do. A journey of a thousand miles... :)
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I feel better today than I have in weeks. I actually played pickleball for 1 1/2 hours last night. I didn't hurt much yesterday so that's a good sign. Maybe I am getting past this crap. I am still doing pretty good on my no caffeine though I did back slide a bit. I tried to drink a cup of coffee...nope! I am really craving a dt dew. I think I am wanting flavor more so than the dt dew. I did try to drink a coke(I don't like dark soft drinks) but could only drink about half a can. Today I got a sparkling water so I get the bubbles and some flavor. Hopefully that will satisfy the craving.

I have 6 weeks until vacation. I am sad to say again this year I have not made my goal of losing a bunch of weight by vacation. I have not lost a significant amount of weight since my wedding 3 years ago. I have gained 10 lbs of the 25 lbs back. Hoping to drop some weight in the next 6 weeks.

Looks like everyone else is having some struggles too. Thank you for posting those. I need that right now. Feeling pretty down on myself. I have been shooting my trad bow during lunch for almost an hour for an upper body workout and then pickleball and softball for cardio. Need to take it up a notch but not sure if I am up to that yet. LOL Only one way to find out right?

Well chow for now ladies. Keep on keepin' on!
  • aleahurst
    aleahurst Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh. It's Wednesday already! I have much to do! The water consumption is going well. On busy days, it's a bit more difficult.

Love to all.
  • jessiquoi
    jessiquoi Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    good morning, everyone! i'm trying something different that seems to be working today... i'm really picturing the food i choose making me sick or healthy, depending on the choice. i may have finally made the connection that if i don't get control of food, it can kill me.

i'm not sure if i will be comfortable using these scare tactics long term, but it's very interesting to see the effect this sobering line of thought is having on my eating the last two days. i can't wait to see if it lasts and how i feel about focusing on such negative thoughts. i'm basically a sunny kind of person, very optimistic, and this is making me feel very uncomfortable. but. it's working.

how is everyone today?
    love,
    jess
  • SnocoPower
    SnocoPower Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! My name is Anna, I'm just now getting involved with the FitnessPal community...feel like this might be what I need. I've just gotten serious about getting in shape this past week after my 91 year old Grandma fell and broke her hip, has osteopororsis and had it replaced. She's a pistol and is already out of the hospital 5 days later! But it was a reminder: I want to have denser bones and a healthier body than that as I age, which I know will involve weight training. ICK.

But I say ICK because I've never given it enough time to STICK! (HEY! a PUN!!) :)
    So starting this week, I will be strength training twice this week, and getting in 5,000 steps every day.
    I feel like that's reasonable, which is also a first in setting fitness goals for me! :)

I'm making healthy choices for foods, and really need to stick with it this time. I was in an auto accident a few months ago and am recovering from a concussion, so many physical activities are off limits for me, including anything that will shake my brain...even walking. Can't do it for more than 20 minutes or else I get a killer headache. That being said, all that's open to me are strength training, swimming yoga, and pilates.

Nice to meet you all, I'll be heading back daily in hopes that I too can form some gorgeous, beautiful behaviors. <3
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    @katadx - That's awesome that you got to spend quality time with your fam. I started out my fitjourney only working out at home, you can definitely keep up your fit goals. And definitely is less time consuming.
    @rheddmobile - Hey, how's your hubby doing? That's great that you are trying new things - entertaining others :smile:
    @str8bowbabe - You can do some good in 6 weeks, stay focused. Also - note, that the scale is only 1 tool that we use. -Heck, I've fluctuated up about 4-5 lbs and I feel like I look the same and that my muscles are progressing nicely. I'm glad you are concentrating on your health and working toward helping your cravings. Keep it up
    @rdevol - Ugh, tracking is hard. I have been going strong until a couple of weeks ago and my food log has suffered. Isn't that a wonderful feeling, getting something accomplished that you've been putting off. I do that all the time. Way to go
    @CT0526 - CONGRATS on the loss!
    @aleahurst - Super job on the water intake! I have definitely been getting my water in - about 110 ounces a day. And yep, I need positive attitudes right now :blush:
    @jessiquoi - Yep, there is nothing wrong with pausing and being aware of the food that you are taking in. That being said I did have 2 hand fulls of gummy bears last night, BUT it fit within my day and was under my calorie goal. Keep on getting in the good stuff

Update: I worked legs pretty hard the other day and then took off last night. Today I feel nauseous, so unsure if I will be exercising tonight. Carb cycling has ended (short term), now I'm back to eating under or at calorie goal and trying to fit in some treats here and there. I wandered away from logging my food for a few days, so definitely trying to get back into that - because I'm definitely more mindful of what I'm eating and my calories. I have a doctor's appt next month in hopes of getting down to why I feel so tired all of the time. My training program is still the same - lifting is my fave. I hate cardio but do need to add at least 3 days a week on top of my lifting. I have decided to tackle that next week (since I feel nauseous).
    Work has been CRAY-CRAY!!! I kinda like it lol Busy and a little chaos makes me feel productive and needed. :smiley:
    My summer of adventure <--this is what I've labeled it hahaha, is still in progress. This weekend we will probably go hiking and see some small waterfalls at a nearby park. Or if the weather is bad, may go bowling, shop, have a game day or go to a movie.

Thought for the day: If you get tired, learn to rest not quit. ***This applies to me and I belive so many others. I am very stubborn and if I skip a day I feel dissappointed. Happiness and peace is found in a good balance. Enjoying things, working hard, time with loved ones, time to ourselves, exercise, eating, alcohol, taking, giving, stress, fun, crying, etc... -this all needs a good level of balance because we all know what happens when it's out of wack! I know, I get so focused sometimes that I forget to pause and look around to enjoy the moment.

2017 Summer of Adventure - pause and enjoy!!! : B)<3
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    jessiquoi wrote: »
    good morning, everyone! i'm trying something different that seems to be working today... i'm really picturing the food i choose making me sick or healthy, depending on the choice. i may have finally made the connection that if i don't get control of food, it can kill me.

i'm not sure if i will be comfortable using these scare tactics long term, but it's very interesting to see the effect this sobering line of thought is having on my eating the last two days. i can't wait to see if it lasts and how i feel about focusing on such negative thoughts. i'm basically a sunny kind of person, very optimistic, and this is making me feel very uncomfortable. but. it's working.

how is everyone today?
    love,
    jess

I think I see what you're doing and I'm glad it's working for you in the short term, but I have a few questions I want to ask you because I would feel bad if I didn't raise them--you are such a nice person and I feel like part of supporting others is asking questions if something doesn't sit right. Please don't feel obligated to answer and if you conclude that this is the right approach for you, please feel free to throw my concern over your shoulder like spilled salt! :)

-Will this approach serve you well in the long term?
    -Does this approach complicate your relationship with food?
    -Does this technique further your goal of promoting Beautiful Behaviors?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    jessiquoi wrote: »

how is everyone today?
    love,
    jess

I think I see what you're doing and I'm glad it's working for you in the short term, but I have a few questions I want to ask you because I would feel bad if I didn't raise them--you are such a nice person and I feel like part of supporting others is asking questions if something doesn't sit right. Please don't feel obligated to answer and if you conclude that this is the right approach for you, please feel free to throw my concern over your shoulder like spilled salt! :)

Valid questions, which I can't answer for Jess, but speaking for myself, I'm not sure reminding myself that my food choices are the difference between health and death is something I would want to do every day - but as a diabetic, it's something I now have to do every day. I think I might not be a diabetic if I had thought about this a little bit sooner.

In a way becoming a diabetic has been a blessing for me because it forced me to become directly aware of the effect food has on my body. Using a blood glucose meter, I can now see what happens to the food I put into my body in real time - hey, my body hates rice, hey, I need more carbs if I want to finish this workout, hey, I need to work out afterwards if I want to eat this many carbs at a sitting. It has taught me that food is fuel, and the right amount will keep my engines running, while the wrong amount will make me feel terrible. It's been interesting since I used to be the kind of person who inhaled soda and junk food while working, the exact opposite of a mindful eater. But trust me, it's better to learn this lesson by choice, not by necessity!
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    @tabletop_joe i appreciate your questions. they're ones that i'm asking myself at the same time. i'll let you know what i feel after a few days. :)
  • tabletop_joe
    Options

Valid questions, which I can't answer for Jess, but speaking for myself, I'm not sure reminding myself that my food choices are the difference between health and death is something I would want to do every day - but as a diabetic, it's something I now have to do every day. I think I might not be a diabetic if I had thought about this a little bit sooner.

In a way becoming a diabetic has been a blessing for me because it forced me to become directly aware of the effect food has on my body. Using a blood glucose meter, I can now see what happens to the food I put into my body in real time - hey, my body hates rice, hey, I need more carbs if I want to finish this workout, hey, I need to work out afterwards if I want to eat this many carbs at a sitting. It has taught me that food is fuel, and the right amount will keep my engines running, while the wrong amount will make me feel terrible. It's been interesting since I used to be the kind of person who inhaled soda and junk food while working, the exact opposite of a mindful eater. But trust me, it's better to learn this lesson by choice, not by necessity!

@rheddmobile Very salient, thank you for your perspective! I still think the questions work in your case. Forgive me for answering for you, I'm just trying to demonstrate:

Yes, it will keep my blood sugar under control and keep me well in the long term.
    No, my baseline concern with food choice is appropriate for my medical condition and immediate well-being.
    Yes, being vigilant in my food choice keeps me from becoming sick and is therefore a vital part of my self care.

My answers would differ significantly. A person suffering from anorexia would answer totally differently from how I would, too. And I don't think there are any right answers. Trying to figure out the right way to go can be really fraught and tackling the mental stuff is so different for everyone.
  • tabletop_joe
    Options
    And I beefed the quote coding^^^. Sorry!
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    @rheddmobile what an inspiring story! your determination and persistence are amazing.
  • rdevol
    Options
    @rheddmobile: Happy (belated) birthday! And THANK YOU for your story. Congratulations on a job very well done. My life story has some similar parallels, and it's very encouraging to know that you have come that far in that amount of time. Sometimes I feel like I've fallen so far off the wagon, I'll never catch up. Your testimony gives me hope that I can if I just keep trying and take things one day at a time.