Beautiful Behaviors - June 2017

Options

Replies

• happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile - Hap Hap Happy belated birthday!!! If you can do it anyone can do it!!! Way to push through and keep fighting
    @trailgirl777 - YES! It is very important to love yourself at any stage in your life. I learned this the hard way (depression and lots of therapy). I used to always feel guilty no matter the smallest thing that I would do for myself. Now, I never feel guilty, which may be bad because not sure if I'm shallow and selfish now - BUT I'm much happier so I'm gonna be shallow and self centered if that is what I am and I am Totally fine with that lol :D
    @jessiquoi - How are you doing? Getting in the healthy stuff? Keep going, you can do it

Update: Just chilled last night because (my time) I didn't feel well. I ate healthy all day and then when I got home I decided to eat whatever sounded good. I ate a cup of cheese curls, 2 pieces of garlic bread and a big bowl of variety ice creams. Girls, you know those cravings at your "time". I normally don't give in and decided that this was good for me and probably people around me LOL It was all delicious. I am just maintaining right now and may start back with trying to lose those 10 vanity pounds in a couple of weeks. I love working out so that will resume when I feel better.
    Tonight I get to see my kids for dinner, I miss them. I'm eating salad, egg, baked chicken and fruit today, so tonight I will probably have a good meal with them (again since I'm maintainng).

Thought for the day: I'm not weird, I'm limited addition! ***Be You! Everyone is unique, even twins. My sister has 8yr old twin girls, they look exactly alike and their personalities are totally different. This world needs you and your different outlook on things. Be creative, put your own spin on things, like what you like, have an opinion, don't follow, take that different path, choose the unpopular item, go for what you want... We only need to be and look like ourselves. I hate hearing 'I want to look like her'. You are never going to, because you're you. However we can work on ourselves and be a better version of who we are-inside and out.

Celebrate Thursday! B);)<3:*
  • SnocoPower
    SnocoPower Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Today's beautiful behaviors: 1) started the day on time, 2) healthy breakfast AND lunch, 3) went to a counseling session to make sure my head is still screwed on straight!! :)

I've made a 5 week plan, and calendar reminders weekly to check in. I have only 5 rules, and number 1 is to track on MFP daily. the others: no fast food, strength train 2x each week, if I miss the gym I have to do yoga, get my steps in every day by walking daily. I can go up to 20 minutes, I'll take what I can get at this point.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @happysherri - My thought about taking care of yourself first, and whether or not that's selfish - remember the little drill they give you when you get on a plane about the oxygen masks? Passengers traveling with children are told to put on their own masks first, then tend to their children, because if you pass out, you can't help anyone. If you want to help others, first take care of yourself.
  • aleahurst
    aleahurst Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    @str8bowbabe - wow. It sounds like you are doing great!

My water intake is all I am watching at the moment. I'm also watching my oxygen level. But good. Nope. I'm going to eat healthy foods and not think about portions at the moment. Right now, I'm just working on the wonders of water. :)

Love to all.

Lea
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    O.M.G.
    Started off my Friday with some weights, and then spent the day with my dad at an auction. It's our thing to do in the summers! I usually don't bid much or find a lot but it's just fun to see whats there and how high it goes. Today was different! My home gym is a step closer to being complete. I was scoping out what was in the garage for the 2nd time, and I couldn't believe I missed seeing an elliptical in the corner! I've been on the prowl for one! Most of the ones I've seen for sale were like 100-200. We waited until the auctioneer reached that corner. Lucky for me, no one was paying attention to the elliptical due to a cedar chest and an antique stove going up soon. I got the elliptical for $2.50! Got it home and it works wonderfully. Truly a blessing of a find today! Also got a like new futon for 25$. Auctions are pure magic!!

@str8bowbabe enjoy your 'me' time!~
    @Snocopower Sounds like a successful day! It's so smart that you've planned so far in advance. I love the idea of having nice 'backup' goals for when you miss the gym :smile:
    @happysherri "We only need to be and look like ourselves. I hate hearing 'I want to look like her'. You are never going to, because you're you." This part of your post really makes me smile! It's an important reminder to me sometimes. I often feel like I don't look like most women. Positive words like this help me to remember that all of us are unique and a world where everyone is the same wouldn't be much of a world at all!
  • aleahurst
    Options
    @katadx - $2.50!!?! Wonderful!

I love, love, love, the idea of no self body shaming! I'm going to be my best me. You will be the best you! We are unique and wonderful just as we are.

Love to all.

Lea
  • jessiquoi
    jessiquoi Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    hi, all!

@str8bowbabe you are so active! very inspiring.

i'm on one week of my new tool (being scared of dying) and i'm starting to be able to turn it around a little into wanting to be healthy. i'm doing well with food, and i've been concentrating on water too, and hitting my goals most days.

i just feel like something kind of clicked in me, that all of a sudden, all the knowledge about eating well and how poor choices negatively affect my health became internalized. i can really visualize myself succeeding. at the same time, the skeptic in me says wait until it's a month or 3 instead of just one week. i'm working on ignoring her.

have a lovely saturday,
    jess
  • finngirl61
    finngirl61 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi to all of you wonderful, brave women. I need advice on coping with food due to stress in a marriage. I try to have faith and make good choices but it's so difficult. Any suggestions?
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    finngirl61 wrote: »
    Hi to all of you wonderful, brave women. I need advice on coping with food due to stress in a marriage. I try to have faith and make good choices but it's so difficult. Any suggestions?
    My thing that I do when I have marriage trouble is just write it down. I resist the urge to express my feelings on the subject (which are usually not a good idea to write down, since writing lasts longer than feelings do) and just write it down like I would a weather report. It lets me look at the situation with a cooler head, separate from any feelings of being wronged. Weather can be terrible, but it isn't personal. You can't control it, it's not about whether you deserve it, it isn't about you. In the same way, you ultimately can't control another person. "Thunderstorm in Nebraska" and "husband being a jerk this morning" are both things that happen. And I find if I can look at it that way, it's easier to decide what the appropriate response is.

That's separate from the subject of food and stress. When I got my diabetes diagnosis, I was faced with a sudden change of lifestyle, and I realized that food was one of the few pleasures I got out of life, and giving it up sounded just soul crushing. So I did two things: I worked to make my low-calorie and lower-carb diabetes diet even more delicious than what I was used to, and I decided to fix some things that were making me miserable. I had a come to Jesus meeting with my husband and told him that a couple of issues I had been putting up with were now resolved, no more nagging, he would either fix it or that would be that. And I added back some pleasures to my life, like visiting the park, which I had been neglecting, so I wouldn't feel so dependent on food for my happiness.

So, yeah, to summarize: eat good food on your diet. Fix the issues in your marriage if you can. The ones you can't fix right now, write them down and try to get some emotional distance. And add some comforting and pleasant things to your life that aren't food.
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    @finngirl61 it's usually pretty quiet around here on the weekend. :) welcome!

sometimes stress alleviates just by talking about your stressors. feel free to share here.
  • finngirl61
    Options
    Thanks jessiquoi and rheddmobile for your comments. I'll think about what you said. I do journal and that helps. Went outside for some sunshine plus shopped for some craft items. Tomorrow is a new day so will try to stay calm and focus on my own needs. It just makes me so sad.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    @SnocoPower - Great goals!!! I set small weekly goals that help with my large ending goals too. How did you do?
    @rheddmobile - Yep, THANKS! The advise you gave about writing things down and letting it go to do the things that make you happy is awesome advise.
    @finngirl61 - I am divorced, I went through years of a stressful marriage, I gained weight and then lost weight. Not sure of your issues - not saying divorce is even in there but I can relate to stress. I agree with @rheddmobile - great advise, and I'm glad you journal to organize your thoughts and feelings. I agree, focus on yourself, you can only control how you react or handle things. And learn to make yourself happy, this is hard for me. This will pass and only time and actions will tell. In the end you must do what's best for you.
    @str8bowbabe - Wow, sounds like you have a lot of activity going on - and sounds super fun too!!! Great job! Keep going
    @aleahurst - Whoa, super job on the water - it does make a big difference. And nice to hear that you are thinking of healthy food and watching your oxygen, keep going.
    @katadx - WHOA! Awesome bargains and tools for a healthier you! :wink: I have been cut open twice for complicated c-sections *My stomach will never be completely flat due to dead nerves around the scar. Lucky for me it's under my bikini line. (overshare probably) However, I think of it as my warrior scar, I'm a survivor and I continue to become a better "me". Also sounds like you got some quality time with your dad Yay.
    @jessiquoi - Visualization is so helpful. I like that you are practicing positive thoughts with food and health. Healthy food can be so delicious, we don't have to feel deprived. So happy to see you doing so well. :smiley:

Update: BOOM!!!! B)<3 I kicked this weekends bootay! I completed 114 minutes of legs and abs on Saturday and 107 minutes of lifing shoulders on Sunday. I'm so proud of myself because my energy level the past week and half has been at an all time low so my exercise has suffered. I ate decent, meaning I ate within calories, not super clean yet still got in a lot of veggies and lean protein each day. I had popcorn, ice cream, gummy bears and worms and pasta and still maintained my weight and actually felt flatter. How?! Because I portioned those things out throughout the weekend and I still filled up on fresh veggies and protein. I'm practicing moderation right now. I feel when I restrict myself too much I end up over eating the "cheat" meals or items. So my plan is to continue this way of eating since I am not trying to lose any weight at the moment.
    Goals this week - I do have a new goal this week: Get up in the morning and do HIIT cardio before work Tuesday and Thursday. This is HUGE, because I am not a morning person and never can seem to get out of bed early. I will lift at least 4-5 days this week. Spiritual goal - To write in 'my life journey' book or draw in my personal sketch book daily.

Thought for the day: If the plan doesn't work, change the plan but never the goal. ***How many different diets have all of us tried? How many different exercise styles have we tried? How many times have we tried something new in our fit journies? These are not failures!!!!!! They're experiences of us all changing our plan instead of our goal! We still have our goals and are constintently working toward them - different ways, trial and error, slow or fast, set backs and advancing.

Happy Motivation Monday.
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    @happysherri did you change avatars? I just now noticed how buff you are! I want shoulders like that! You look like you could lift an ox.

My mini goal right now - actually kind of a long term goal, more likely - I want to be able to do chin-ups. I never could, not even in grade school when other kids could, because I got my adult height very early and my proportionate strength went down. It was terrible being the one kid everyone mistook for an adult trying to pass the Presidential fitness test with a bunch of little children who could still swing on monkey bars. Hey, I could do all that before I hit puberty too!

I've got my work cut out for me, but I'm doing pull downs and dead arm hangs and losing more weight. Hopefully at some point in the distant future my ability to hoist weights will converge with my actual weight. Girl's gotta dream, right?
  • nickiphillips1
    nickiphillips1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile - good luck with the chin ups good to have a goal
    @finngirl61 - take it one day at a time with the marriage thing - if you can find other things to take the stress away from your marriage - that would be great - I am so sorry you are going through this - I got divorced over 8 years ago and I lost a lot of weight after - on purpose - it was a big relief to get rid of my ex - make sure you talk to people or a therapist if you need to - abuse comes in many forms other than physical - not saying there is abuse or divorce in the air
    @jessiquoi - it sounds like you are doing awesome! good for you!!
    @katadx - nice catch on the elliptical
    @happysherri - nice job again on the weights and eating - I wish I could get to the weight room like you

I was in Philadelphia on a work trip last week that really messed me up. The combination of lack of sleep, not swimming or working out, and having to be on and socialize all the time exhausted me. I have been afraid to weigh myself, yet I don't think I screwed up my diet too much. I swam Saturday and today and am pretty slow. I laid around most of Saturday and Sunday. Argh! I never realized how introverted I have become.

I hope to pull myself together as I am heading to Louisiana next week with my oldest son for his college orientation. At least I don't have to socialize the entire time with him.

Back to the pool tomorrow and a swim meet on Saturday. I need to pull myself together. This is the first time in a long time I have blamed my MS on dragging me down. One question, is it just me, or does everyone drink a ton at work functions? I hardly ever drink and I felt like the odd man out.
  • finngirl61
    Options
    @rheddmobile -happy belated birthday and thanks for the advice!
    @nickiphillips1 - I appreciate your advice also.
    @snocoPower and @happysherri -I read your comments also and am giving them serious thoughts re:marriage and working out 'goals'.

Marriage isn't easy some days, especially when spouse has an addiction. I am determined to take care of myself and pray for strength for both of us. I haven't been recording food in MFP but will start tomorrow. In the back of my journal, I write down positive quotes, etc. to read when I get discouraged. All of you that write or even just read the posts, are magical, strong people. Life can be up and down, but we each have unique gifts and we need to hold on during those tough moments because they will pass. STAY YOUR COURSE!!! ☺❤
  • aleahurst
    Options
    Oh golly! I keep thinking of the movie "The War Room". Dang that was a good movie.

While working for a living, some people caused really bad things to happen to me. I wrote my feelings down. I was afraid of it being read by the wrong people, so I shredded it and put it in the compost bin with all that icky smelly yucky stuff. Now, that letter of hate is feeding my Apple tree. :)

Today was a bad day. Illness. Sigh. It made me remember what they did to me at work.

My calories are low!

Love to all.

Lea
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    hi, everyone!

i love coming here and reading everyone's posts. it's good to hear that people are working hard, sometimes having trouble, sometimes succeeding, living lives, just being themselves while on this journey to improved health and wellness.

i'm doing well right now. i'm starting to lose weight again. i think something triggered this time and it will last longer than a few days. hooray! it's been over a week that i've been practicing good eating behavior. i'm feeling very patient about seeing results, maybe because i feel so committed to eating well right now. i'm still having fun foods; we had pizza the other night, but no soda or dessert or appetizer, and i made wise choices the rest of the day. things are clicking!

still drinking my water, focusing hard on that for the month of june. making it a habit to get my 2 quarts in each day. that feels good.

how is everyone enjoying the day today?

later,
    jess
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,

I know I have been missing in action again and for that I am very sorry. I guess all the activity got the best of me on Friday night as I hurt my back really bad during the softball game. I went to the doc on Saturday. They gave me a steroid shot. Then put me on anti - inflammation pills, another steroid, and muscle relaxers so...I have been out most of the weekend. I actually had to take a day off work yesterday. today is the first day back without being able to take anything other than ibuprofen. I am definitely feeling it. So...no exercise much this week. Taking short walks but no lifting and no pickleball today. Hoping to make the softball game on Friday but we will see.

Water intake is still going well and the no caffeine is still doing pretty good. Tried another cup of coffee this morning but could not drink it. Guess I have kicked that habit. Still a soft drink now and then but not more than a couple a week.

Have a good one all!