Lol someone told me - Running makes you old...

Options
124»

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I've heard it through personal trainers and I see it in some of my friends who run. They look old but they are not old. Just think of all the pounding going on throughout your body while running. Some damage is happening.

I think you should stick around, and read a lot! There are scientists, world record holders, personal trainers with over 30 years experience on here.
    If you are open minded to learn and read you will come to realise that all of what you just said is a load of *kitten*.

Just even use common sense. Say some one is running in a 12 hour race, How could they do that by sprinting, adding in tempos etc?
  • sh28fleming
    sh28fleming Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    OK, scratch what I said. Running is not for weight loss. I'm thinking weight loss I'm not talking about races with sprints.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    No. I use a stationary bike for cardio for 20 mins since it has resistance. Changing it up is the key.

Key to what?

How do you apply your technique to preparing for a century ride? How would the concept of periodisation and interval sessions be used to compliment a performance improvement plan for a sub 2 half marathon?
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,770 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    Two things make you look old:
    Smoking
    Sun

Runners shouldn't be smokers. But take care of your skin!

I guess a couple more too: having kids, stress, loosing volume out of the face (goon from a fat face to a skinny face and loose skin)

I always put sun cream on my face if I'm running for more than half an hour

I put on sunblock to drive from my gym back home... it's 3.5 miles.

yeah- I'm practically allergic to the sun.... being goth will do that to you.

My husband is a goth[1] and spent most of his life in the UK (until 6 years ago), where the sun's less strong than down here in Los Angeles. Even with a lot of running and biking, he's got that wonderful smooth skin (he's 49).

[1] we met on a goth board (wasn't a dating site)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    OK, scratch what I said. Running is not for weight loss. I'm thinking weight loss I'm not talking about races with sprints.

It's not that part of what you said that I have issue with.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Lol. It's BS. I promise.