Looking for nerdy friends

Options
1235»

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    Hey RPGers, what age would you think is old enough to start kids playing tabletop RPGs, and what is a good system to start with?

You see, my son is six, and he made up a game and has been essentially "DMing" my wife and daughter for the past couple of weeks. He has drawn rather elaborate maps, monster cards for enemies, and even has an inventory sheet to keep track of their character's equipment - he only reads at a kindergarten level so he mainly draws pictures of the equipment with numbers representing how much damage they do or can absorb. His game is very D&D like, and seems to be a blend of Minecraft, Undertale, and Ninja Turtles.

It's probably too early just yet, but maybe in another couple years, I think. IIRC, I started with Basic D&D in about the 2nd or 3rd grade and quickly moved on to AD&D, but that was back in the '80's (If you've watched Stranger Things, I had those very same books) and I've been out of the loop so long I wouldn't know where to start. Suggestions?

I still have my original D&D set and tailor it down for the kids (9, 7, and 3) to make it fun. I've used some of my old modules or ones I've developed in the past. They have their own character sheets and build up backstories. My 7 yo daughter is the map maker and draws out the dungeons as I describe it and I give them puzzles and traps to figure out. My 9 yo son took the maps and constructed a replica in Minecraft.

It's been amazing seeing their ability to reason and apply what they learn in school to this and make it their own. I have also seen a great feedback in their desire to read and reason out problems for themselves.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    Hey RPGers, what age would you think is old enough to start kids playing tabletop RPGs, and what is a good system to start with?

You see, my son is six, and he made up a game and has been essentially "DMing" my wife and daughter for the past couple of weeks. He has drawn rather elaborate maps, monster cards for enemies, and even has an inventory sheet to keep track of their character's equipment - he only reads at a kindergarten level so he mainly draws pictures of the equipment with numbers representing how much damage they do or can absorb. His game is very D&D like, and seems to be a blend of Minecraft, Undertale, and Ninja Turtles.

It's probably too early just yet, but maybe in another couple years, I think. IIRC, I started with Basic D&D in about the 2nd or 3rd grade and quickly moved on to AD&D, but that was back in the '80's (If you've watched Stranger Things, I had those very same books) and I've been out of the loop so long I wouldn't know where to start. Suggestions?

I think that fostering the life skills creativity, imagination, math skills, teamwork are all great to do, especially at an early age. As I don't have kids myself, I can say "when" is a good time, but DnD is very flexible and campaigns can be designed to be more kid friendly in content, with puzzles, RP, skill checks, etc. I have not played any Pathfinder, but I imagine it could be similarly tailored.
  • limex
    limex Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    What a great idea, to friend people on MFP who are into this sort of stuff! Although, I really do have to say it, cause I'm really picky like that...I think you're looking for geeks, not nerds!

I love Doctor Who, Star Trek, Stargate, Dark Matter, Supernatural (and a bunch of other stuff), so I'm totally a geek! More on the hard-core sci fi side. I'm less into fantasy, comics or mainstream sci-fi like West World, although I do dabble in them. I LOVE conventions, although I don't cosplay.
    (And as it happens, I'm also a nerd...I'm a mathematician)

One of the main reasons I want to lose weight is so that I will look better in photo ops! Most actors are really thin, so my...chubbiness, shall we say...is super apparent in photo ops.

People with like interests, please feel free to friend me! Especially if you like to do photo ops too!
  • panjabi
    panjabi Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Super Nerd, found my ppl. Add me got a ton of weight to loose and would love your support.
    Into Marvel, Star Wars, Star Trek, Game of Thrones, taking a break from video gaming while I cycle my legs off, so into bicycling to get some regular exercise.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, now I'm tempted to pick up the D&D starter set and trying to tailor it to my kids. I went through some boxes some months ago and I think the only old AD&D book I still have is Oriental Adventures. I still have all of my MegaTraveller and Car Wars books though, but I think my son would rather play a sword and sorcery game than a space game (and in Car Wars, my friends and I mostly just built cars for arena battles).

BTW, he won't let me join his RPG because Momma and Sister are already level 5 and I'd be too far behind. :tongue:
  • russianrussett
    russianrussett Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I live in butt *kitten* Arkansas...no D&D or M!TG players in a 20000 mile radius (probably), let alone Trekkies/Trekkers.
  • ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    captbklee wrote: »
    You guys aren't really nerd-fighting until the pocket protectors come off and someone starts yelling "Lightning bolt!" (How's that for cliché? :p )

I cast... Magic Missile!

(I met my husband on World of Warcraft. We like to nerd.)
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    My husband and I had a Star Wars wedding. We frequently (yet accidentally) end up dressing in matching theme t-shirts, resulting in hilarity like people asking us if we were going to Comic-Con and getting a "uh, nope. This is just how we dress." Our daughter's BFF is R2D2 and she has a Star Wars nursery. I'd say we are more of a Marvel family, but I have a healthy Wonder Woman obsession. I'm down about 228 lbs from my highest, with just under 10 to go. I pretty much accept any friend request that comes with a note, so feel free to add me.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Anyone planning on attending Toronto Fan Expo at the end of August?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Lordy (to quote James Comey :wink: ) I hope it's better organized than the Dallas Fan Expo this year was! Due to 2 of the biggest names having scheduling conflicts (Norman Reedus and Jeffrey Dean Morgan) they tried to cram 2 days worth of people into one, and there was barely room to breath on the convention floor. We spend most of Saturday in panels and avoided that cluster, but whew, there were some *kitten*ed off folks who bought tickets to see those two!

My boys got their pics with Stan Lee and Alan Tudyk, and we got to sit in on each of their Q&As plus Alex Kingston and the cast of RWBY, so they were thrilled.

Edit - I just check the guest list for Toronto. Nathan Fillion and Felicia Day!? I'm so jealous!! Plus Matt Smith, Billie Piper, John Barrowman (he was also in Dallas - he sang at his q&a :grin: ), Karen Gillan, and Catherine Tate - quite the Doctor Who ensemble!
  • Chaagy
    Chaagy Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I am Groot.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Star trek swimsuit. It is my current weight loss goal to rock it by the end of the summer. Big sci Fi nerd, feel free to add me!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Lordy (to quote James Comey :wink: ) I hope it's better organized than the Dallas Fan Expo this year was! Due to 2 of the biggest names having scheduling conflicts (Norman Reedus and Jeffrey Dean Morgan) they tried to cram 2 days worth of people into one, and there was barely room to breath on the convention floor. We spend most of Saturday in panels and avoided that cluster, but whew, there were some *kitten*ed off folks who bought tickets to see those two!

My boys got their pics with Stan Lee and Alan Tudyk, and we got to sit in on each of their Q&As plus Alex Kingston and the cast of RWBY, so they were thrilled.

Edit - I just check the guest list for Toronto. Nathan Fillion and Felicia Day!? I'm so jealous!! Plus Matt Smith, Billie Piper, John Barrowman (he was also in Dallas - he sang at his q&a :grin: ), Karen Gillan, and Catherine Tate - quite the Doctor Who ensemble!

I'm more into Marvel's Netflix shows (This was me and hubby last year with Eldon "Foggy Nelson" Henson), about 2 months before I started MFP.

8faqv0poos40.jpg

And OUAT.

But it's usually a great con, no matter who's attending.
  • catarinaq78
    catarinaq78 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Whovian, Star Wars, Tolkien, DC, HP, Farscape, Star Trek, Firefly and 80's stuff and The Princess Bride and anything fantasy/Scifi! I cosplay and con like a mofo lol! I like to say I am fanvergent haha! So pleas, add me!!!!
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Since this thread is still alive, an update: I actually did get the D&D starter set a week ago, but the kids didn't want to play the premade characters so I also downloaded the basic rules from the D&D website. We rolled characters last weekend but have not started adventuring yet. My son is a human magic user, my daughter a wood elf cleric, and my wife a human fighter. I wish we had one more player (and I don't want to roleplay and DM at the same time), but this is a decent mix.
  • Pusheenthecat
    Pusheenthecat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm a nerd and big time cosplayer! It's one of the main reasons I try to keep my weight down. I like Japanese anime such as xxxholic, black butler, soul eater, death note, vampire night etc etc. But I also like other things like Steven universe, sailor moon, and of course pusheen the cat.... I've been cosplaying and making my own costumes for 7 years. I also have two daughters 12 and 19 who cosplay as well we are always prepping for a con!! Surprise I'm older and cosplay with my daughters. Great to see other nerds on here!