Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    Denying the existence of a Cake Culture seems a little silly when the mere mention of "cake" inspires multiple pages of passionate gushing over cake and other desserts...

I think what is being denied is that Cake Culture is a bad thing.

Or that "Cake Culture" (seriously?... ok...) is responsible for obesity.

I don't think that It is responsible for obesity - but for a lot of people, it enables and perpetuates obesity.

I respectfully disagree. It doesn't "do" anything. It's just an inanimate food object. Peoples choices enable and perpetuate obesity. If you are obese, you know you should not be overindulging in cake.

Once someone is obese, they probably have insulin sensitivity issues that help keep them obese. But, cake doesn't enable and perpetuate anything. It's just a kind of food. We have all kinds of foods around us every day everywhere we go. It's all about people making choices.

Yes food is an inanimate object, as are cigarettes, alcohol, and drugs. And yet millions of people are overweight, smoke, are alcoholics, and are drug addicts - tell them to knock it off.

Peer pressure and the need for social acceptance play an enormous role in addiction. I don’t find the value in stuffing my face with cake with obese people or doing shots at the bar with alcoholics, even though I am not obese and not an alcoholic. There are social events that can further relationship building without perpetuating destructive habits.
    And that is all because a certain % of the population make personal choices that are destructive. Lot's don't. These things are amoral. They have no ability to make choices or make people do things by their existence.

As to the 2nd bolded line, I'd say that depends on the event. If were talking about someone bringing baked goods into work, I think the "cake culture" analogy has been drawn to a ridiculous extreme if it is called "destructive habits". Destructive for whom? Are we really attempting to reduce what has happened with obesity over the last 75 years to people bringing cake into the office. Absurd really.

Totally missing my point. If people want to eat cake until they literally explode at work every day they are perfectly free to do that. If an alcoholic wants to drown himself in vodka that is his business. You can smoke until your lungs are two lumps of charred coal, have at it. I just don’t care to perpetuate it or glorify it.

Who eats cake every day?? Seriously?
    I see cake in the office maybe once a year when someone retires.

Every day and once a year both seem almost unbelievably extreme examples. We have cake occasionally. Often just leftovers someone brings in from a home party. We have food frequently. Donuts and leftover pizza are the most common.

Also, our company hosts a lot of meetings so leftovers from a catered lunch is very common, though obviously that would not apply to every office.

We have food available probably monthly or so. Cake, however, tends to only be provided on special occasions (such as a retirement or when the boss is getting married). So yeah, I get access to cake at work about once a year.

That's not to say that only one person a year retires from my company. Just that, because I don't work in Accounting, I don't get invited to cake when Susan in Accounting retires.

People don't tend to bring leftovers into the office to share here. Something just seemingly unsanitary in that. If someone brings in treats to work, they were either made specifically to bring in or it's something like cookies or muffins that are individual servings. I don't think I've ever seen someone bring in a half eaten cake.
    Seems like that would be like bringing in a half eaten bag of chips for a snack day...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    Don't know what the point is from those saying they've never ( as far as they know) offended anyone by turning down treats in the office. Are you all saying that because you haven't encountered it, it doesn't or can't happen? Or what?

I'm saying that kind of behavior (acting all offended) is rude or is the problem, not someone bringing in cookies.

And yes, I also think it is to some degree imagined or assumed that it will happen (I can't say no, so and so will be upset, when so and so likely couldn't care less), although I am not saying it never happens. People do all kinds of weird and rude things. If someone acted offended because I didn't want to eat a piece of cake, I'd just laugh and make a joke of it, probably. (Sorry, after I hit 39 I stopped believing in birthdays so I can't have cake for others, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY, and then change the subject: "how's your son's soccer going"? "Did you see that NIU/Nebraska game?")
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    Denying the existence of a Cake Culture seems a little silly when the mere mention of "cake" inspires multiple pages of passionate gushing over cake and other desserts...

I think what is being denied is that Cake Culture is a bad thing.

Or that "Cake Culture" (seriously?... ok...) is responsible for obesity.

I don't think that It is responsible for obesity - but for a lot of people, it enables and perpetuates obesity.

I respectfully disagree. It doesn't "do" anything. It's just an inanimate food object. Peoples choices enable and perpetuate obesity. If you are obese, you know you should not be overindulging in cake.

Once someone is obese, they probably have insulin sensitivity issues that help keep them obese. But, cake doesn't enable and perpetuate anything. It's just a kind of food. We have all kinds of foods around us every day everywhere we go. It's all about people making choices.

Yes food is an inanimate object, as are cigarettes, alcohol, and drugs. And yet millions of people are overweight, smoke, are alcoholics, and are drug addicts - tell them to knock it off.

Peer pressure and the need for social acceptance play an enormous role in addiction. I don’t find the value in stuffing my face with cake with obese people or doing shots at the bar with alcoholics, even though I am not obese and not an alcoholic. There are social events that can further relationship building without perpetuating destructive habits.
    And that is all because a certain % of the population make personal choices that are destructive. Lot's don't. These things are amoral. They have no ability to make choices or make people do things by their existence.

As to the 2nd bolded line, I'd say that depends on the event. If were talking about someone bringing baked goods into work, I think the "cake culture" analogy has been drawn to a ridiculous extreme if it is called "destructive habits". Destructive for whom? Are we really attempting to reduce what has happened with obesity over the last 75 years to people bringing cake into the office. Absurd really.

Totally missing my point. If people want to eat cake until they literally explode at work every day they are perfectly free to do that. If an alcoholic wants to drown himself in vodka that is his business. You can smoke until your lungs are two lumps of charred coal, have at it. I just don’t care to perpetuate it or glorify it.

Who eats cake every day?? Seriously?
    I see cake in the office maybe once a year when someone retires.

Every day and once a year both seem almost unbelievably extreme examples. We have cake occasionally. Often just leftovers someone brings in from a home party. We have food frequently. Donuts and leftover pizza are the most common.

Also, our company hosts a lot of meetings so leftovers from a catered lunch is very common, though obviously that would not apply to every office.

I agree everyday and 1x a year is extreme.

In my office there is cake in our department at least 1x a month...at least. Then there is cake for company wide things at least 4x a year...never mind the other things like popcorn or bbq's that take place....there was a grilled cheese food truck here and we got it for free.

Now on the other side....call centre side I bet they get treats at least 1x a week...not joking. Chips, chocolate bars, cakes, caramel corn, cotton candy, waffles with syrup etc.

so Yah on that side it's an issue and that side is the one with the biggest weight issues....
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    The claim that people are celebrating/defending "cake culture" is a false dichotomy.
    Several of us commented on the fact that we like cake (or pie if you prefer) but no one is saying "Yay! Cake culture is the best!"

What we are actually doing is debating:
    1) The existence of a legitimate "cake culture"
    2) The prevalence of "cake culture" if it is a real thing
    3) Whether cake and/or other treats in the office are actually significant contributors to obesity

Oh, and here I was thinking the thread was just to express opinions. Maybe there should be a separate thread to debate those three items? My take would be 1) yes, 2) fairly common, and 3) needs further research because it is calorific snacking combined with inactivity for long portions of the day.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I was amused just now. I get most of my meat from an awesome online supplier in the UK and my latest box jut arrived. I got a free "healthy" snack tester. I shall include a picture. 1. It's a 180 calorie bomb. 2. It's tiny. 3. It tastes like *kitten*. Or at least what I imagine *kitten* to taste like.

Pass the cake.

dfjsa1t0c2m5.jpg
    c3xe7779usnj.jpg

Jesus, that looks like the bottom of our rabbit cage trays when we clean them out. Turds mixed with hay and spilled pellets and seeds. Mmmm...healthy!
This discussion has been closed.