Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Today I learned that bringing cake into work is not a nice thing to do. Wow. What's next? Saying bless you to someone who sneezes is an insult? Opening a door for someone who has their hands full is degrading?

You really need to stop encouraging people to be sick...

It can be depending on their level of superstition. It was once believed that sneezing was the soul trying to escape the body. The blessing was supposed to force it back in.

I prefer to say, 'Gesundheit.' (Roughly, 'good health to you.')
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    bweath2 wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    Cardio is a waste of time (unless you actually enjoy it).

Or enjoy the stronger heart and more plentiful food.

I'll stick with my strong heart and plentiful food from weightlifting and HIIT. More bang for the buck.

Not in my experience. Can't sustain HIIT long enough to burn any meaningful amount of calories, and whatever I burn I eat back twofold or more because it increases my hunger substantially. Now don't get me wrong, no one has to do cardio (or weight lifting, or HIIT for that matter), but you can't call any form of exercise a waste of time because there are clear benefits to being active, health and otherwise.

Yes, sitting on your *kitten* is a much greater waste of time.
    Since I don't like exercising in general, I'm going to spend the least amount of time possible to get the greatest benefit which means high intensity. I just want to get it over with so I can get back to thing I enjoy.

And that's totally alright! It's just, this sounds more like preference than opinion.

Nah, I still am not a fan of cardio(but it's better than nothing). I believe there are much greater benefits from high intensity exercise.
    How do you know you don't burn as much calories doing HIIT? I believe that much shorter, high intensity exercise may not burn as much at the time, but the residual calorie burn from greater muscle stimulation lasts much longer resulting in more CO.

EPOC (Excess Post Exercise Oxygen Consunption) for HIIT is 14%, for Low Impact Steady State it's 7%. That's the % of residual burn of calories burned during. FWIW. HIIT can't be done for very long so the overall burn is not that big. If you could do 30 minutes of HIIT, your Butner with EPOCH would be about the same as 60 minutes of LISS but who can do 30 minutes of HIIT??

This would depend on the intensity of the HIIT. And as @GottaBurnEmAll stated not all "HIIT" is equal. To me, HIIT means the intervals are 100% all out.

That is the HIIT I'm talking about and in exercise physiology circle based on studies, that is the commonly accepted number. This was discussed in detail on the Lyle McDonald article sjomial linked to. It is also the number Dr. Brad Shoenfeld uses. It pretty objective and not really the subject of much speculation as to variance.

Less that 100% all out would not technically be HIIT but would be considered interval training. The EPOC would fall somewhere between LISS and HIIT depending on intensity. All HIIT is not equal because the Marketing woo machines call everything HIIT today. Things like 1 hours HIIT classes. If you can do it for 1 hour, it ain't HIIT!!

PS: The link sjomial gave is the 2nd in a series of in depth article about the subject and references a lot of the current research. If that is the link you are kind of dismissive of in one of your posts above, I suggest you didn't read it thoroughly. There are links to both the initial article in the series and the following ones at the bottom of the one posted.

I did read it, but I'll look at the references too. My main leaning to HIIT over cardio is that it is closer to weightlifting in it's muscle building potential... if I am not mistaken. However, I pretty much just lift and try to stay away from all that gross running stuff...

It's been said here already but...HIIT is cardio.

Then so is weightlifting....
    Should I say ""aerobic exercise " to be specific?

In general, the cardiovascular benefits of weightlifting are secondary to muscle/strength building (there can be exceptions depending on the program).
    The same can't be said for HIIT.
    In general, the muscle/strength benefits of HIIT are secondary to the cardiovascular benefits.

I have found no conclusive evidence that aerobic exercise has greater CV benefits than anaerobic exercise. Neither did this study:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5329739/
    "Despite all the research, further studies are still warranted to delve further into the impact that both aerobic and anaerobic exercise may have on human physiology to unequivocally determine if there is superiority of one type of exercise over another."

I wasn't comparing the cardiovascular benefits of aerobic vs anaerobic exercise.
    I simply stated that weightlifting generally has greater strength/muscle building benefits which is not the case for cardio (including HIIT).

Ah, my mistake.
    But this just reaffirms my opinion about steady state cardio. But I should clarify that: if someone is going to do one form of exercise, strength training is the way to go since it offers similar CV benefits, but also increases muscle mass. However, my opinion is heavily influence by my preference for a higher than average muscle mass. If the goal is simply to get skinny, the go for the cardio.

That actually matches my approach...I tend to mainly focus on lifting without worrying too much about cardio (though I have been running more to build some steady state endurance and because my dog prefers it to walking).
    That said, my original point was just that HIIT falls into the same category as steady state cardio for anyone who already lifts (but mmapags explained it better than I did).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,984 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    meh..
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Speziface wrote: »
    Today I learned that bringing cake into work is not a nice thing to do. Wow. What's next? Saying bless you to someone who sneezes is an insult? Opening a door for someone who has their hands full is degrading?

It can be depending on their level of superstition. It was once believed that sneezing was the soul trying to escape the body. The blessing was supposed to force it back in.

I prefer gesundheit just because it's more fun to say.
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Speziface wrote: »

I prefer gesundheit just because it's more fun to say.

German is a fun language.
  • gohardfit
    gohardfit Posts: 1 Member
    Options

My opinions are quite bland - generally do what's healthy, sustainable for the long term and works for you,

This is me - do what works for you. Focus on your well-being and don't worry if it doesn't match general or popular OPINION, as long as you're healthy (by whatever standards you choose to uphold).

How am I to tell someone else what they choose to do to their body is 'wrong'? I can say what harmful effects an action may/might produce (within reason), but doesn't make the action wrong. It's ultimately up to the person to decided what is best for his or her body.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    This is really funny. The opinion that is unpopular on a calorie counting, weight watching forum is one that thinks cake culture in unhealthy and not nice. Whereas the opinion that IS popular is the cake culture is perfectly healthy (in moderation and with personal accountability) and representative of people being nice and kind. Cake culture is strong on this site. Lol....

cake culture is not unhealthy per say, however I can see where a different set of food items could be encouraged but let's be frank...not gonna fly. I see people saying no thanks all the time...I am one of them as sometimes the cake just doesn't fit or isn't worth it (dried out)

I work at a company where it is alive and well.

We have cake 1x a month in our department for bdays....then big events the company has huge cakes brought in and on the call centre side there is always "treats" for them.

Very rarely veggie and fruit trays....as someone pointed out they wouldn't get eaten really....unless it's part of lunch....but as a snack/reward no.

This discussion has been closed.