Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    People don't think "chicken salad" is salad. If someone said "I feel like a salad," no one would think they meant chicken salad (or tuna salad or fruit salad or pasta salad). They might mean salad with chicken on it.

The difference is that in the US one would not describe a salad with chicken on it (my most common summer lunch) as a "chicken salad." It's a salad. "Chicken salad" is a specific dish or preparation of chicken.

What would one call egg salad or pasta salad in Australia, or do you just not have those at all?

I expect it's the same as the UK. Egg salad as you describe it (I'm assuming you mean with mayo or somesuch?) would here in the UK be egg mayo. Chicken salad is that the same? Because that to me is a salad, lettuce based, with chicken. I think what you call chicken salad would just be considered a sandwich filling and doesn't have a specific name. It's not something we make at home generally speaking. The only variety that has a name would be coronation chicken which is very specific. Oh and tuna would be tuna mayo.
  • VintageFeline
    mmapags wrote: »
    Is it a jelly roll, a jelly doughnut, or a Bismark?
    Do you drink from a drinking fountain, a water fountain, or a bubbler?
    Do you eat subs, hoagies, or grinders?
    Of course, there is the ultimate: soda or pop? (or Coke, or tonic)

...and this is why humans will never be able to communicate whatsoever.

Bismarks are those chocolate covered donuts with pudding inside. It's my favorite.

dd21RS.jpg
    1. Water fountain
    2. Sub
    3. Coke

I can't even cite regional differences. I've lived in PA, FL, CA, WA. Not sure when or where I came up with these beliefs. It's my feels.

Lol! The chef in me is having a cringe moment. That is not pudding in a Bismark. It is Creme' Patisserie. It's my foodie OCD kicking in I know... :D

Is it in a choux bun? So sort of a giant profiterole/missing its top religieuses?

Exactly! You never cease to impress!! ;)

I did have to ask Google how to spell the latter. But yeah, I'm a foodie with a penchant for baking. Mind you, never made choux pastry, or bake a lot these days for that matter. Because I just don't have the calories to eat whole cake!

Patel Choux is fairly easy. I'm sure you would nail it. I get it about the calories!

Oh I probably would be able to do it I just don't have anyone to share these things with!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    People don't think "chicken salad" is salad. If someone said "I feel like a salad," no one would think they meant chicken salad (or tuna salad or fruit salad or pasta salad). They might mean salad with chicken on it.

The difference is that in the US one would not describe a salad with chicken on it (my most common summer lunch) as a "chicken salad." It's a salad. "Chicken salad" is a specific dish or preparation of chicken.

What would one call egg salad or pasta salad in Australia, or do you just not have those at all?

I expect it's the same as the UK. Egg salad as you describe it (I'm assuming you mean with mayo or somesuch?) would here in the UK be egg mayo. Chicken salad is that the same? Because that to me is a salad, lettuce based, with chicken. I think what you call chicken salad would just be considered a sandwich filling and doesn't have a specific name. It's not something we make at home generally speaking. The only variety that has a name would be coronation chicken which is very specific. Oh and tuna would be tuna mayo.

Yup.... What you call chicken/egg/tuna salad is something that goes in a sandwich/roll. It's not called "salad". If you asked for a chicken salad sandwich, you'd get chicken with lettuce, tomato etc.

We have pasta salad, but that's not always smothered in mayo, and has lots of stuff added to it...
  • VintageFeline
    Oh, pasta salad! It's just pasta. Pasta with xxx. Done.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017

Egg salad can have varying amounts of mayo, including none (a place I used to like did an egg salad sandwich with no mayo -- I'm super picky about mayo, so liked it).

Anyway, here's a standard recipe, although they vary:

Combine 6 hard boiled eggs, .25 cup mayonnaise, 1.5 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, .33 cup finely diced celery, .25 cup scallions, and tablespoon of parsley in a medium bowl. Using your hands, squeeze eggs through your fingers, mixing contents of bowl until reduced to desired consistency; alternatively, smash and mix with a firm whisk. Season generously with salt and pepper.

Chicken salad here is a different thing than a salad with chicken on it, and is incredibly diverse. Here are a couple of examples:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12107-chicken-salad-with-walnuts-and-grapes

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1013983-indonesian-style-chicken-salad

It can be used as a sandwich filling, but it can also be eaten on its own. Various lunch places and WF will sell pasta salads and chicken salad at the salad bar/deli area, but they are not considered just salad.

Looked up coronation chicken, and it looks like something that would be considered a variety of chicken salad here:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017349-coronation-chicken-salad

The most common ones, IME, are the ones with curry and the walnut grape one.

A common one with curry, American style: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/curried-chicken-salad-recipe-2014291

Again, though, if someone ordered "salad" or said they felt like a salad, everyone would assume lettuce or other raw greens with vegetables on top, not chicken salad. They are distinct dishes (although both are quite varied within their own categories and salad could have any kind of meat on it, just would still be lettuce/greens based).
  • lemurcat12
    Oh, pasta salad! It's just pasta. Pasta with xxx. Done.

Pasta here tends to be hot, I think. Pasta salad is cold and can be kept easily in the refrigerator, made ahead, and pulled out and eaten.

It's common to make pasta salad for a picnic (IME, again) since it's easy. Traditional pasta that is served hot would be hard to manage.

Again, in the US usage I am familiar with.
  • lemurcat12
    edited August 2017
    We have pasta salad, but that's not always smothered in mayo, and has lots of stuff added to it...

Our pasta salad does not always involve mayo either.

http://www.thekitchn.com/15-pasta-salads-to-make-this-4th-of-july-recipes-from-the-kitchn-191527

Potato salad also can, but often does not involve mayo. The kind with mayo is a particular style.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I never made pasta salad with mayo. I always used vinaigrette.

Now growing up, there was a particular macaroni/tuna salad that was popular and that was made with mayo. It was served by a lot of people.

Some of them even made it with (shudder) Miracle Whip.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member

Bismarks are those chocolate covered donuts with pudding inside. It's my favorite.

dd21RS.jpg
    1. Water fountain
    2. Sub
    3. Coke

I can't even cite regional differences. I've lived in PA, FL, CA, WA. Not sure when or where I came up with these beliefs. It's my feels.

Lol! The chef in me is having a cringe moment. That is not pudding in a Bismark. It is Creme' Patisserie. It's my foodie OCD kicking in I know... :D

That gets us into the UK's version of "salad", I suppose.

Let's talk about the ambiguity of the word "pudding" across the pond...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Is this really an argument that is being had?

What has happened to this thread?

It's better than some of the hot garbage in here, though.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »

Southeast Connecticut weighing in.

Jelly donut (personally, I call it a waste of a spot in the donut case)
    Water fountain
    Sub or grinder - depending on mood and/or where I'm getting it
    Soda, in general - but tend to usually call it by its actual name (such as Pepsi, or 7Up, or Dr. Pepper, etc)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »

Southeast Connecticut weighing in.

Jelly donut (personally, I call it a waste of a spot in the donut case)
    Water fountain
    Sub or grinder - depending on mood and/or where I'm getting it
    Soda, in general - but tend to usually call it by its actual name (such as Pepsi, or 7Up, or Dr. Pepper, etc)

Canada (Ontario):

1) Jelly doughnut (note spelling. ;) )
    2) Water fountain
    3) Sub
    4) Pop, but having been here so long, I now call it soda because I used to get people asking me what the heck pop was.

;)
  • leesakline
    leesakline Posts: 6 Member
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    I definitely don't believe surgery is cheating. I have strong views against it, but don't think it's an easy way out at all.

I really worry that the research about long-term side effects is not complete enough. I know that for some people, if their lives are at risk, they might feel they don't have another choice, but I do worry it will hurt their health long-term. It doesn't sound easy, even if all goes well. But for many people they even have complications, like infections, and then it's excruciating.

I do wonder if, as we learn more, we'll later regard these surgeries as primitive and harmful. But this fall under "I wonder" more than "I'm certain."

If a person has a serious weight issue and weight loss surgery will help prevent premature death and jump start healthy habits for one whom otherwise would not (hence, shorter life span), then I believe WLS is a viable option. Given this, I do question the long term affects. Example: My grandfather and mother both had Gastric Bypass Surgery years ago...probably 30 years ago now. Both had complications, but most tragic is my mothers current diagnosis of esophageal cancer. A side affect of GBS is severe acid reflex and overtime, this causes unhealthy cell development in the walls of the esophagus, which can cause cancer. These words came directly from the mouth of my mothers thoracic surgeon. Of course, no one can definitively confirm how a person developed their cancer, but this is what the surgeon has seen and is probable in my moms case.

So, my conclusion? Do everything possible to be 'uncomfortable' in changing lifestyle and eating habits as it's the healthiest way to lose weight. Given that, if severely overweight...excessively and life in risk, the WLS may be a God send to extend life but with a risk of future complications.

The struggle is definitely real!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

dd21RS.jpg
    1. Water fountain
    2. Sub
    3. Coke

Is it in a choux bun? So sort of a giant profiterole/missing its top religieuses?

Exactly! You never cease to impress!! ;)

I did have to ask Google how to spell the latter. But yeah, I'm a foodie with a penchant for baking. Mind you, never made choux pastry, or bake a lot these days for that matter. Because I just don't have the calories to eat whole cake!

Seriously???? Pate'a Choux is one of the easiest things to make: 1 c. water, 1 stick butter, heat until the water boils and butter is melted. Dump 1 cup flour and a pinch of salt all at once and stir until it forms a ball. Take off heat for about 5 minutes and then add 4 eggs, one at a time, stirring after each addition. Voila'.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited August 2017
    Unpopular opinion. One does need to deny themselves to lose weight.

Not saying any specific foods must be eliminated but the calories consumed have to go down (forget about any drastic changes to movement for now). If someone has been gaining eating 3000 calories a day and needs to cut back to 2500 or so to lose they will have to deny themselves of whatever pleasure they've been getting from eating the extra 500 calories.

Not that it's a bad thing.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2017
    Well, I don't mind calling a salad anything that is a bunch of ingredients mixed together, often but not always with some kind of dressing, and is eaten cold, unless it has a name other than salad. Done.

Mom makes a salad that is basically just a lot of cheese, a couple of eggs, garlic and mayo. It's more like a spread than a salad. Salads can be mixed, tossed, layered, stacked, or made into a roll. They can have a vegetable, fruit, cheese, beans, pasta, meat, fish, seafood, or poultry base. Russians are very loose in their definition of "salad".
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited August 2017
    I forget the order these were in, but South Jersey here:

1. Jelly donut
    2. Water Fountain
    3. Hoagie
    4. Soda

It should be noted that places like Subway do not make proper hoagies. They're just sandwiches.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member

dd21RS.jpg
    1. Water fountain
    2. Sub
    3. Coke

hahahah. And, here we go.

Sorry I didn't use the right WORD!!!!!

Yes, I know I have issues. My lovely wife tells me so whenever I correct her culinary terms or her knife technique. I'm usually asked to leave the room.... :p

Never forget she knows where you sleep. ;)

I know, I know..... It's just after the years of training and culinary career, I. Just. Can't . Stop...... :D
  • VintageFeline

dd21RS.jpg
    1. Water fountain
    2. Sub
    3. Coke

That gets us into the UK's version of "salad", I suppose.

Let's talk about the ambiguity of the word "pudding" across the pond...

Pudding is interchangeable with dessert in the UK. It predates all those fancy French things becoming de rigueur. I'm cool with the fancy French things though.
This discussion has been closed.