Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    bweath2 wrote: »
    Cardio is a waste of time (unless you actually enjoy it).

Or enjoy the stronger heart and more plentiful food.

I'll stick with my strong heart and plentiful food from weightlifting and HIIT. More bang for the buck.

Not in my experience. Can't sustain HIIT long enough to burn any meaningful amount of calories, and whatever I burn I eat back twofold or more because it increases my hunger substantially. Now don't get me wrong, no one has to do cardio (or weight lifting, or HIIT for that matter), but you can't call any form of exercise a waste of time because there are clear benefits to being active, health and otherwise.

Yes, sitting on your *kitten* is a much greater waste of time.
    Since I don't like exercising in general, I'm going to spend the least amount of time possible to get the greatest benefit which means high intensity. I just want to get it over with so I can get back to thing I enjoy.

And that's totally alright! It's just, this sounds more like preference than opinion.

Nah, I still am not a fan of cardio(but it's better than nothing). I believe there are much greater benefits from high intensity exercise.
    How do you know you don't burn as much calories doing HIIT? I believe that much shorter, high intensity exercise may not burn as much at the time, but the residual calorie burn from greater muscle stimulation lasts much longer resulting in more CO.
    @bweath2
    Read this and you may change your opinion....
    https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/steady-state-versus-intervals-and-epoc-practical-application.html/

And HIIT is a form of cardio by the way.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'm probably a bit tetchy when it comes to this subject.. I'm married to a "feeder", he is constantly making treats and offering me chips, crackers etc etc. Makes no difference whether i say no thanks or not!! He seriously conflates food with love and caring. "This is how he shows he loves me" is what he always says. I've begged him to find other ways to show his love for me. He is not and never has been overweight, so my pleas fall on deaf ears.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited September 2017
    @vegaslounge I must admit, I would be annoyed if a coworker constantly brought in treats while i was trying my best to lose weight. My willpower is only so strong before i cave, i don't need added temptation placed in front of me at my place of work.

I do not, under any circumstances, dismiss this. Hell, it's taken years of conscious effort on my part to build up willpower in regards to foods I like. But, IMO, the onus is not on the treat-bearer for you to resist their treats. I just feel it's a weirdly self-centered view of the world that people are out to derail you by bringing in something for the office to enjoy. If it's an office of two people and you've told your sole workmate, "please don't bring in treats" and they keep doing it– yeah, that's could be a little weird. But I think in a larger setting, to quote a preeminent scientist and space explorer, "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".

Adding a third cent, the workplace sabotage mindset is, IMO, the same as the "I've completely changed the household's diet without their input or consent because of my personal decisions, and they aren't supporting my changes! Help me tell them they're wrong!" I lived through that– Mom put us on Atkins when I was young and by week three I was literally ready to shank my best friend for her hunk of soggy cafeteria baguette. I myself became a strict vegetarian at 15 (I'm 32 now) and guess what? My parents still ate meat and cooked the way they always did, it was up to me to work out how to eat around that. None of my boyfriends have been vegetarian, few of my friends are, and aside from some joshing from my older brothers (which is what older brothers just DO), I can't say I've ever encountered any personal problems from this. Hell, I went to a BBQ last year and the only thing I could eat was a potato. I ate my potato, enjoyed the company, and the sun rose the next morning on schedule.

I guess I just don't get the idea that my weight loss/etc is anyone else's concern or responsibility but mine. The vast majority of people couldn't give a figgy pudding about what you do in your personal life, just as you probably don't know or particularly care about what they do.

Exactly. I work in an office with 45-ish staff. Lots of people bring treats in, including me, and it's simply not about me.

Can I ask why people bring in food for other people? Genuinely curious question. I've never worked at a place where people bring food in to feed their coworkers.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    The office where I used to work had potlucks about once a month. And sometimes, someone might have done some entertaining over the weekend and had enough leftovers for the department. Not talking about "Two cookies, half a donut and a couple of slices of cake". More like a few dozen chocolate chip cookies, a sheet or two of brownies, etc."

The office usually splurged for birthday cake too. (No, it wasn't a co-worker bringing it in, but it was still rich food that needed to be planned for if it was going to be eaten in a calorie deficit.)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    @vegaslounge I must admit, I would be annoyed if a coworker constantly brought in treats while i was trying my best to lose weight. My willpower is only so strong before i cave, i don't need added temptation placed in front of me at my place of work.

I do not, under any circumstances, dismiss this. Hell, it's taken years of conscious effort on my part to build up willpower in regards to foods I like. But, IMO, the onus is not on the treat-bearer for you to resist their treats. I just feel it's a weirdly self-centered view of the world that people are out to derail you by bringing in something for the office to enjoy. If it's an office of two people and you've told your sole workmate, "please don't bring in treats" and they keep doing it– yeah, that's could be a little weird. But I think in a larger setting, to quote a preeminent scientist and space explorer, "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".

Adding a third cent, the workplace sabotage mindset is, IMO, the same as the "I've completely changed the household's diet without their input or consent because of my personal decisions, and they aren't supporting my changes! Help me tell them they're wrong!" I lived through that– Mom put us on Atkins when I was young and by week three I was literally ready to shank my best friend for her hunk of soggy cafeteria baguette. I myself became a strict vegetarian at 15 (I'm 32 now) and guess what? My parents still ate meat and cooked the way they always did, it was up to me to work out how to eat around that. None of my boyfriends have been vegetarian, few of my friends are, and aside from some joshing from my older brothers (which is what older brothers just DO), I can't say I've ever encountered any personal problems from this. Hell, I went to a BBQ last year and the only thing I could eat was a potato. I ate my potato, enjoyed the company, and the sun rose the next morning on schedule.

I guess I just don't get the idea that my weight loss/etc is anyone else's concern or responsibility but mine. The vast majority of people couldn't give a figgy pudding about what you do in your personal life, just as you probably don't know or particularly care about what they do.

Exactly. I work in an office with 45-ish staff. Lots of people bring treats in, including me, and it's simply not about me.

Can I ask why people bring in food for other people? Genuinely curious question. I've never worked at a place where people bring food in to feed their coworkers.

I like to bake and I live alone so I took treats in to work to indulge my love of baking or to try out something new. I also took in leftovers from parties.

It is a choice between eating it all myself, throwing it away, or giving it to co-workers. Co-workers won.
This discussion has been closed.