Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    The difficulty is that we are attempting to interpret the meaning of a term "fattening" to multiple communities.

One being the lay person - those generally ignorant of the issues surrounding weight management.

The other being the average MFP user - while many may disagree on the particulars there is a minimum foundation of the variables impacting weight management.

Having this foundational knowledge does lead one to challenge so called "established" thinking and makes terms such as fattening very situational dependent. There is a great deal of bias in this as the majority of MFP users are more focused on deficit; however this term is going to have a different meaning to those focusing on gaining.

Based upon this thread alone, I'd strongly disagree with the bolded. Reading most of the other threads on MFP would only strengthen that stance. MFP users, as a whole, are just as enraptured with woo, fearmongering and pseudoscience as the uneducated lay person. Cleanses/detoxes. Juice fasts. Apple cider vinegar. Green tea. MLM scams. Sugar/carb demonization. The magickal, miraculous wizardries of keto and IF. Military diet. Gaining slabs of muscle while eating 1000 calories of lettuce and doing 4 hours of cardio per day. Et cetera ad nauseum.

I will, however, agree with the above if we establish "minimum foundation" as being on a level with the derpy weight loss/diet articles found in magazines and the garbage in Netflix "documentaries".

Now there's one that's like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Is this just lazy language, or do people think that the documentaries they see on Netflix are original content (the vast majority are not)?

It would be like referring to movies as AMC movies or television shows as Comcast shows.

Note the "in" before Netflix. They mean the category of Documentaries on Netflix, not that they are Netflix produced.

The "in" doesn't modify in that way at all.

"in" is the location of the information, which is followed by the source of said information. It would work as "documentaries in/on Netflix," but not as "in Netflix documentaries."

I would understand "Netflix documentaries" as Vintage Feline said, documentaries on Netflix.

That doesn't change the fact that it is lazy, from a linguistic perspective. I know that is the intent as well, but it doesn't make the structuring of it correct. Saying "Netflix documentaries" assigns ownership/responsibility to Netflix at a level past content delivery.

To me it acknowledges that people are watching them because they are on Netflix/being promoted by Netflix. The timing tracks extremely closely.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    oh man i was wrong, this is the dumbest topic

and yes, i've read all of this thread.

Agreed.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Apparently believing frozen meals like Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice are NOT high in sodium is an unpopular opinion. Do you consider 23-24% of your daily intake high in sodium? I don't. It's one meal. 1/3 of my day.

But is it 1/3 of your daily calories?

Usually pretty close on the days I eat one.

Wow, really? Aren't they all still 300 calories or less?

Nope

not sure what you are eating but it isn't lean cuisines or healthy choice steamers...mine are all under 200....

Just bought 5 of them, Lean Cuisine brand (on sale 5/$10 so I stock up). Calories range from 340 to 380 each.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    For women, vanity sizing has helped disguise the slow creep of obesity. Your jeans wear out, you buy a new pair in the same size, and - ah! - they're just a little more comfy than the old pair. And you're about the same size as so many of the people around you, right? And just as active ("who's got time?!?")?
    It's not just women's clothes. I used to wear a medium 20 years ago while in college. And I was considered a normal weight for the time. At one point as a teen, my parents were even concerned I was getting a little pudgy.

Fast forward to today, and some clothes labled "small" are too big. And I have to find slim fit dress shirts or they are very baggy. Old Navy is notoriously bad.

In addition, this past holiday, some of my family expressed concern about how thin I was and if something was wrong.

I'm the exact same weight I was 20 years ago... I haven't changed, but everyone else sure has.

Back when I met my wife - 21 years ago (holy *puppy*, just now realized we've known each other that long) and 35-40 lbs lighter @ 140-150 - I wore an extra large for some shirts, large for others. I've always had a deeper chest cavity than one might expect just looking at me from the front. Now, I wear medium for many shirts, large for others. And the larges almost always have extra room.

So, yeah. I feel you.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    For women, vanity sizing has helped disguise the slow creep of obesity. Your jeans wear out, you buy a new pair in the same size, and - ah! - they're just a little more comfy than the old pair. And you're about the same size as so many of the people around you, right? And just as active ("who's got time?!?")?
    It's not just women's clothes. I used to wear a medium 20 years ago while in college. And I was considered a normal weight for the time. At one point as a teen, my parents were even concerned I was getting a little pudgy.

Fast forward to today, and some clothes labled "small" are too big. And I have to find slim fit dress shirts or they are very baggy. Old Navy is notoriously bad.

In addition, this past holiday, some of my family expressed concern about how thin I was and if something was wrong.

I'm the exact same weight I was 20 years ago... I haven't changed, but everyone else sure has.

I so get the clothing size adjustment thing.
    I have been the same weight most of my life, except my 5 year blip, and always fit really nicely into an adult woman's small in my middle years.
    Now, back to my 'constant' weight, I drown in them, and have to shop in junior stores. Fair enough, I am a sprightly old bird with a youthful attitude to life, but having to resort to clothing for a 14-24yo when you are edging on 64, can be a little awkward at times.

As far as family are concerned, my sisters both refer to me as the little one (don't lose any more weight h).
    I am the weight I alway was (they were lighter), they have both put on 15-20 lbs.

Cheers, h.
This discussion has been closed.