Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Fyreside wrote: »
    I'm watching my grandfather do that to himself right now. He's just not getting enough protein or iron and that one bad fall on the horizon will be his curtain call. Super hard to get someone in their 90's to change life long patterns tho.

@Fyreside
    A lot of people that age have the “doctor worship” mentality. If that is the case for your Grandfather, use it to your advantage. I once accompanied a client to a MD appt and had her write several “prescriptions.” Among them were, “Shower twice a week” and “Drink one chocolate ensure at bedtime.” It might be worth a try.

More than once I've found myself thinking his doctor is a little blasé. He seems quick to say, oh your just getting old. Which is valid, sure. But not specifically a reason to not investigate a medical complaint IMO. But Granddad does think the world of him so I definitely will contact him and see if he will play ball. I can only ask. :) Good suggestion thanks.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with aspartame. I dare not mention this in public.

Fun fact, my moms childhood best friend is ALLERGIC to aspartame.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

My nephew is allergic to nuts. What's your point?

I've never heard of someone having an allergy to something like that (aspartame), but I'm very familiar with people having meat, dairy and nut allergies.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I've never heard of someone having an allergy to something like that (aspartame), but I'm very familiar with people having meat, dairy and nut allergies.

I think people can be allergic to a huge range of things, really. There are people who are allergic to water. I recently found out that celery is a common allergen, I had no idea.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to celery, it makes my mouth itch like crazy I'm ready to climb the walls. I didn't know that until a few years ago when I tried celery (not a common food here, had to hunt it down). It was funny because you never know what you're allergic to until you try it.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I think people can be allergic to a huge range of things, really. There are people who are allergic to water. I recently found out that celery is a common allergen, I had no idea.

I still wonder how people with a water allergy don't die.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Weirdly, the story I read about the woman with the water allergy stated she "cannot drink water, juice, tea or coffee, opting for diet cola instead."

Cue the "diet soda doesn't count as water" statements. And I really wouldn't know how to answer it...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Weirdly, the story I read about the woman with the water allergy stated she "cannot drink water, juice, tea or coffee, opting for diet cola instead."

Cue the "diet soda doesn't count as water" statements. And I really wouldn't know how to answer it...

Sounds legit. Because it’s not like diet cola isn’t 99% water or anything.

The derp some people believe/come up with is mind-boggling sometimes.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    ...also, holy moly that is a long article. That I didn't read, because gremlins.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    ...also, holy moly that is a long article. That I didn't read, because gremlins.

The rules are so simple. NEVER feed them after midnight. :disappointed:

And don’t get them wet. And bright light will kill them.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

The rules are so simple. NEVER feed them after midnight. :disappointed:

And don’t get them wet. And bright light will kill them.

But they do put on one heck of a musical.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
This discussion has been closed.