Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    If someone says they enjoy working out, one (or more) of the three following situations exists:
    1} They're lying
    2) They're a masochist
    3) They're doing it wrong

:D

apparently I am walking incorrectly..gotcha. (note to self correct walking)
    and swimming wrong but that typically means you drown....interesting...

LOL different ideas of what "working out" means I guess. I call those exercising... related but not the same.

Well, now that the sport vs. whatever discussion has ended, what's the difference between "working out" and "exercising"? I'd call them synonyms.

Training is a subset of both.

IMO, all three can be enjoyable, but I'm sure I do it wrong and all that. ;-)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    This very moment... I'm suffering DOMS from Saturday's back work, and I know I have DOMS from yesterday's squats to look forward to tomorrow before this is completely subsided... and I am going to be hitting chest and shower with my daughter this afternoon, so there's Wednesday's pain to anticipate...

You choose. I might be a masochist? I don't actually enjoy the working out part, but I do like the health and strength. If I could have the benefits without the hard work and pain I would be delighted... but they wouldn't be as valuable would they?

And that's you...
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    This very moment... I'm suffering DOMS from Saturday's back work, and I know I have DOMS from yesterday's squats to look forward to tomorrow before this is completely subsided... and I am going to be hitting chest and shower with my daughter this afternoon, so there's Wednesday's pain to anticipate...

You choose. I might be a masochist? I don't actually enjoy the working out part, but I do like the health and strength. If I could have the benefits without the hard work and pain I would be delighted... but they wouldn't be as valuable would they?

but if you didn't hurt, how would you know that your workout was hard enough to be effective?

Personally, I know that if I don't feel sore, I need to add additional movements or raise the weights more than expected.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    If someone says they enjoy working out, one (or more) of the three following situations exists:
    1} They're lying
    2) They're a masochist

I tend to agree - I enjoy the results, so I endure the hard work. It is a stretch to say that I "enjoy" pushing heavy things around at 5am when most people are sleeping or running the streets when it is 40 degrees, I can think of thousands of things that would be more enjoyable while I am actually doing it.

If working out was so enjoyable, there wouldn't be so many overweight people, right?

Not if you still can't get your diet under control...
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

And that's you...

LOL You've just confirmed a portion of my premise by implying that you like the pain! Pick a position. You can't prove me right while typing your dissenting opinion! :p
  • J72FIT
    Options

And that's you...

LOL You've just confirmed a portion of my premise by implying that you like the pain! Pick a position. You can't prove me right while typing your dissenting opinion! :p

You are drawing conclusions based on your own personal preference. You are viewing it through the lens of your experience. Not everyone sees things the way you do...
  • jamesakrobinson
    Options

And that's you...

You are drawing conclusions based on your own personal preference. You are viewing it through the lens of your experience. Not everyone sees things the way you do...

Thus the reason for the word "opinion" in the thread title.
  • J72FIT
    Options

And that's you...

This did not exactly read as an opinion...

"If someone says they enjoy working out, one (or more) of the three following situations exists:
    1} They're lying
    2) They're a masochist
    3) They're doing it wrong"
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    1} They're lying
    2) They're a masochist

I tend to agree - I enjoy the results, so I endure the hard work. It is a stretch to say that I "enjoy" pushing heavy things around at 5am when most people are sleeping or running the streets when it is 40 degrees, I can think of thousands of things that would be more enjoyable while I am actually doing it.

If working out was so enjoyable, there wouldn't be so many overweight people, right?

If the general population truly enjoyed exercising and diverted even a small percentage of the time that they invested staring at screens to working out, the ranks of the overweight would be reduced significantly, even without the associated diet restriction. Plus, the associated benefits to their cardiovascular system, the additional muscle development, and improved body composition would be of great benefit to them, even if they remained overweight.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    1} They're lying
    2) They're a masochist

If the general population truly enjoyed exercising and diverted even a small percentage of the time that they invested staring at screens to working out, the ranks of the overweight would be reduced significantly, even without the associated diet restriction. Plus, the associated benefits to their cardiovascular system, the additional muscle development, and improved body composition would be of great benefit to them, even if they remained overweight.

How does that relate to this...?

"If working out was so enjoyable, there wouldn't be so many overweight people, right?"
  • jamesakrobinson
    Options

And that's you...

This did not exactly read as an opinion...

"If someone says they enjoy working out, one (or more) of the three following situations exists:
    1} They're lying
    2) They're a masochist
    3) They're doing it wrong"

It's all context man... I posted it in an opinions thread located in a debate forum (with a smiley face no less) and not in a diet or exercise forum or thread.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    1} They're lying
    2) They're a masochist

How does that relate to this...?

"If working out was so enjoyable, there wouldn't be so many overweight people, right?"

It was an additional point (hence, the "Plus"). Review the bolded part of my paragraph.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    This very moment... I'm suffering DOMS from Saturday's back work, and I know I have DOMS from yesterday's squats to look forward to tomorrow before this is completely subsided... and I am going to be hitting chest and shoulders with my daughter this afternoon, so there's Wednesday's pain to anticipate...

I must say, I also kinda agree on this... at least when it comes to lifting weights. I love the results and I'm always thrilled when I can increase the weights on the bar. I love how I look in the mirror and being strong. However, as my wife can attest to - the face I have in the gym, when I'm actually lifting and even between sets doesn't exactly radiate pleasure or indicate "fun". lol

I'd take a magic pill any day if it worked. There are a ton of activities that I'd consider more entertaining that I could spend my time on... but until they make that magic pill, I'll suffer the DOMs and I'll get my tired *kitten* into the gym because the results are worth the discomfort.

Other types of "exercise" I've done or do - Tennis, baseball/softball, hiking or long walks with the wife and dog - are primarily entertainment. The fact that they involve "exercise" is irrelevant to me. I'd do them even if they didn't have a health benefit. Lifting weights - if there were no benefit I'd never do it. lol
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »

but if you didn't hurt, how would you know that your workout was hard enough to be effective?

Personally, I know that if I don't feel sore, I need to add additional movements or raise the weights more than expected.

By watching your PR go up.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »

By watching your PR go up.

LOL if you can increase your PR without DOMS you are awesome! ... or a noob, or on drugs.

Or doing it right

I'll go with Rippetoe and other pro trainers on this

https://startingstrength.com/article/why-being-sore-doesnt-mean-youre-getting-stronger

And no, he's not alone.
This discussion has been closed.