Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Being hungry means I'm doing it right. Shut up stomach, you've run this show for 30 years, time to take a back seat and stfu.

To me, being hungry means I’m doing it completely wrong. I’ve figured out what foods offer me maximal satiety and I’m not hungry any more often than I ever was. The biggest difference is that I’ve learned to eat until I’m satisfied, not necessarily until I’m completely stuffed. I don’t feel I’ve really had to suffer at all to lose weight (or now, to maintain it).

What kind of "hungry" are we talking about? I can't imagine going through life never being hungry. I grew up being hungry before a meal and that's the way I still live. I can still hear my mom saying "No you can't have a snack, dinner will be ready soon." I still live that way. If I'm out shopping or something and get hungry, I rarely head for a drive thru. I stay hungry until I get home. If a planned meal isn't far off and I get hungry, I stay hungry until the meal.

I'm not saying I never have a snack when hungry, but most times I don't get hungry long before a meal in which case I just wait it out.

But everyone is different. I don't know that there is a right or wrong as long as it's working.

I think what he's responding to is this concept that people live in a state of perpetual hunger because they are dieting, that they feel that's ok because they over indulged for much of their life so now this is their punishment in order to lose the weight.

I don't think people are saying you shouldn't ever feel hunger. I'm hungry right now. But I will eat soon and when I do, I will be satiated. I won't be stuffed but I will eat a breakfast sandwich or some yogurt and have a couple cups of coffee and that will tide me over till lunch time.

That makes sense. Thanks.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Being hungry means I'm doing it right. Shut up stomach, you've run this show for 30 years, time to take a back seat and stfu.

To me, being hungry means I’m doing it completely wrong. I’ve figured out what foods offer me maximal satiety and I’m not hungry any more often than I ever was. The biggest difference is that I’ve learned to eat until I’m satisfied, not necessarily until I’m completely stuffed. I don’t feel I’ve really had to suffer at all to lose weight (or now, to maintain it).

What kind of "hungry" are we talking about? I can't imagine going through life never being hungry. I grew up being hungry before a meal and that's the way I still live. I can still hear my mom saying "No you can't have a snack, dinner will be ready soon." I still live that way. If I'm out shopping or something and get hungry, I rarely head for a drive thru. I stay hungry until I get home. If a planned meal isn't far off and I get hungry, I stay hungry until the meal.

I'm not saying I never have a snack when hungry, but most times I don't get hungry long before a meal in which case I just wait it out.

But everyone is different. I don't know that there is a right or wrong as long as it's working.

I think what he's responding to is this concept that people live in a state of perpetual hunger because they are dieting, that they feel that's ok because they over indulged for much of their life so now this is their punishment in order to lose the weight.

I don't think people are saying you shouldn't ever feel hunger. I'm hungry right now. But I will eat soon and when I do, I will be satiated. I won't be stuffed but I will eat a breakfast sandwich or some yogurt and have a couple cups of coffee and that will tide me over till lunch time.

Yeah, that's how I read it, and what you said is also how I think about hunger.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

exactly this...

right before a meal I would use the work peckish to give a definition to how I was feeling...

Hunger to me is the stomach being empty and growling almost to the point of what is called hunger pains...been there....not a fan.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Someone really needs to correct a major error that has been propagating here. The game is "Duck, Duck, Grey Duck". It originated in Sweden, where it is called "Anka, Anka, Grå Anka ". Yes, there is also " Anka, anka, gås", but Grey Duck is superior, and if you're going to make it an Olympic sport you should really nominate the better game.

Deadspin.com - "Duck Duck Grey Duck isn't just a silly regionalism, it's a better game"

Make sure you play the. Gif for an example of the Minnesota Vikings playing "Duck, Duck, Grey Duck".

I've often wanted to try Duck Duck Brick as described by the writer of Hyperbole and a Half.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,368 Member
    Options
    If someone says they enjoy working out, one (or more) of the three following situations exists:
    1} They're lying
    2) They're a masochist
    3) They're doing it wrong

:D

(Snort.)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    If someone says they enjoy working out, one (or more) of the three following situations exists:
    1} They're lying
    2) They're a masochist
    3) They're doing it wrong

:D

Do you really believe that or are you trying to be clever?
This discussion has been closed.