Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    In Germany, P.E. class is called Sports class. So everything you do in P.E. is sport.

I recall participating in juggling, hula hooping, and duck-duck-goose in gym, activities that are clearly sports :D . I’m hoping the Olympics include duck-duck-goose as a sport in 2024, I’m thinking I will certainly medal.

Well it is a physical competition which allows for defending against the opposing players so it does fit your own definition of a sport...

If the juggling and hula-hooping were done in competition then of course all 3 meet your definition, right? Hello Olympic Committee, can we get these all in place for Tokyo in 2020?

I would watch the *kitten* out of competitive juggling or hula hooping.....or juggling AND hula hooping

Also, hula hooping is really freakin hard

I never could get the trick behind hula hooping.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Being hungry means I'm doing it right. Shut up stomach, you've run this show for 30 years, time to take a back seat and stfu.

I kind of disagree with this. I rarely feel hungry. The biggest difference for me is I don't freak out when I get hungry and feel the need to eat everything in site to compensate.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Being hungry means I'm doing it right. Shut up stomach, you've run this show for 30 years, time to take a back seat and stfu.

To me, being hungry means I’m doing it completely wrong. I’ve figured out what foods offer me maximal satiety and I’m not hungry any more often than I ever was. The biggest difference is that I’ve learned to eat until I’m satisfied, not necessarily until I’m completely stuffed. I don’t feel I’ve really had to suffer at all to lose weight (or now, to maintain it).

Cosigned!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options

To me, being hungry means I’m doing it completely wrong. I’ve figured out what foods offer me maximal satiety and I’m not hungry any more often than I ever was. The biggest difference is that I’ve learned to eat until I’m satisfied, not necessarily until I’m completely stuffed. I don’t feel I’ve really had to suffer at all to lose weight (or now, to maintain it).

100%, hunger has not been required for me. . . nor desired as penance for getting fat in the first place.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Makes sense and get what you're saying. Unfortunately, IMO for many their hunger signals are "broke" and they most likely need to feel hungry for a while until they are accustomed to a new lifestyle.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

absolutely...I am not and have not been hungry during my entire loss phase.

I don't like feeling "stuffed" it's uncomfortable...

if that means eating snacks of yogurt, cheese, fruit, chocolate etc (whatever suits my macros/mood at the time) so be it.

I have always contended that the ones who get to eat the most food and still lose/maintain their weight win this weight loss thing....
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

absolutely...I am not and have not been hungry during my entire loss phase.

I don't like feeling "stuffed" it's uncomfortable...

if that means eating snacks of yogurt, cheese, fruit, chocolate etc (whatever suits my macros/mood at the time) so be it.

I have always contended that the ones who get to eat the most food and still lose/maintain their weight win this weight loss thing....

I can’t say that I have never been hungry during my journey. What I can say though is that being hungry is ok. Lol! It’s our bodies way of telling us it’s time to eat. The trick for me was distinguishing between true hunger and other false cues to eat, ie boredoms, stress and or depression.
  • mmapags
    edited November 2017
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    In Germany, P.E. class is called Sports class. So everything you do in P.E. is sport.

I recall participating in juggling, hula hooping, and duck-duck-goose in gym, activities that are clearly sports :D . I’m hoping the Olympics include duck-duck-goose as a sport in 2024, I’m thinking I will certainly medal.

Well it is a physical competition which allows for defending against the opposing players so it does fit your own definition of a sport...

If the juggling and hula-hooping were done in competition then of course all 3 meet your definition, right? Hello Olympic Committee, can we get these all in place for Tokyo in 2020?

We all just wait for your judgments to decide how to live.

If something as benign as a discussion on sports leaves you feeling judged then you are taking things way too seriously...

Dude what’s with the lack of reading comprehension and/or critical thinking lately?

Awaiting “your judgements to decide how to live” doesn’t mean anyone feels personally judged by you any more than “competing against each other” means being able to block the other team from scoring.

His point is that you’re not special and no one cares whether you declare gymnastics “not a sport” because your one, single, solitary opinion doesn’t mean beans to the rest of the world and we don’t need your stamp of approval on what is or isn’t deemed a sport.

This^ thanks!
  • mmapags
    Options

If something as benign as a discussion on sports leaves you feeling judged then you are taking things way too seriously...

Dude what’s with the lack of reading comprehension and/or critical thinking lately?

Awaiting “your judgements to decide how to live” doesn’t mean anyone feels personally judged by you any more than “competing against each other” means being able to block the other team from scoring.

His point is that you’re not special and no one cares whether you declare gymnastics “not a sport” because your one, single, solitary opinion doesn’t mean beans to the rest of the world and we don’t need your stamp of approval on what is or isn’t deemed a sport.

I'm not special, you're not special, none of us are special. You honestly have my sympathies if you need the approval of an anonymous participant in an online forum for anything meaningful in your life.

Where did he say he did?
  • J72FIT
    Options

I'm not special, you're not special, none of us are special. You honestly have my sympathies if you need the approval of an anonymous participant in an online forum for anything meaningful in your life.

We don’t.

I’ll say it more slowly this time so that maybe you’ll finally understand.

No...one...cares...what...you...think...

The entire point of the post you’re responding to is that we don’t need your approval to live our lives.
    Declare marathon running not a sport all you want...you’re one confused fish in the whole big sea and your misinterpretation of the accepted definition of “sport” has no impact on reality.

No one is being defensive or fighting for the honor of “their sport” due to feeling hurt or threatened by your opinion. You’re not important enough for anyone to care.
    The reason people seem annoyed is because it’s frustrating trying to explain things to someone who seems to be deliberately obtuse in an effort to not accept that they’re wrong.

and there it is...
  • J72FIT
    Options

Lol!
This discussion has been closed.