Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is Over-Training a myth?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    spartan546 wrote: »
    But let's also add that what is over training for one person can be a warm up for the next one... Depends on so many factors and sport exoeriences that it has to be based on individual issues. That's when a good coach or trainer will look at an athlete and say " let's deload a little"....☺️

while I agree it will be different for each person... "over training is someone's warm up" is a fairly inaccurate way to share that information.
  • JoRocka
    this is a stupid conversation. Of course overtraining exists.

given the amount of disagreement on what we call over training- it's not a stupid conversation.

Some people don't know that it DOES exist.
    And some people do- but have no idea what it means.

It's not a dumb conversation if you have all the information and know everything- but for the rest of the world- trying to understand everything- AND how to properly train themselves- and or work with others- it's important.

You are free to post else where on the forum if we bore you.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    It's real But people often misunderstand it.

An athlete that over trains is at higher risks for injuries, depression, mental break down, infections, elevated heart rate, fatigue and the body might start feeding on the athletes muscles. In the most severe cases over training can be lethal. An olympic competitor is at risk of over training, the crossfit games athlete and the most hardcore and elite athletes in the world could reach a state of overtraining but it's very rare.

You and me however, the normal people, we don't overtrain. What we might do is overtax our nerve system and experience the so called "muscle hangover". It feels like your out of energy and you can't focus. You might lose your sex drive cause your hormones get all messed up.
    You're overloaded with Cortisol (stress hormone) and you might lose your gains cause cortisol, estrogens and testosterone are all made by pregnenolone and the more cortisol the less pregnenolone there is to make testosterone.

(I think I got this right but please, if there are more expirienced coaches out there more familiar with this then feel free to correct me and add to this. I'm only beginning my sports studies)

I just read something similar on TNation (not my fav source but was a good article) and it referenced Over training vs Over taxing.

But I think for us laymen overtraining=overtaxing for what it's worth.

Over training syndrome yes would be for elite athletes but I've seen people with symptoms of over training such as

injuries (too common imo due to ignorance of what a body can/should do and form)
    depression
    break downs (big time)
    nastiness/irritable
    infections/illness
    fatigue
    lack of sex drive which leads to lack of erection in the morning for men (per the article)

If those are your symptoms, it's serious, no matter what you call it... and since training is a significant factor... I'm good with calling it overtraining.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Too much of anything can be bad

well....
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    For me it is just hard to tell when I have over-trained. For example. I just had an eight mile Spartan race on the first really hot day of the year and didn't train in the heat prior. I tapered off my training and took two full days off before the race. I felt okay during and immediately after, but was wiped out for about three days. After the 3 days of only light recovery workouts, I hit two days of training outside in 90 degree weather. Now I am wiped out again. Is it over-training? Dehydration? Lack of heat training? I strongly believe in taking the right amount of recovery time, but with another big race coming up I can't afford to take rest days I don't need. For a lot of people, it takes just as much discipline to take rest days as it does to workout, and I understand that the body builds during rest periods. I have been doing this for five years, so I don't think my fitness level has anything to do with it. The deeper you get into fitness the more complicated it becomes to figure all this stuff out!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    For me it is just hard to tell when I have over-trained. For example. I just had an eight mile Spartan race on the first really hot day of the year and didn't train in the heat prior. I tapered off my training and took two full days off before the race. I felt okay during and immediately after, but was wiped out for about three days. After the 3 days of only light recovery workouts, I hit two days of training outside in 90 degree weather. Now I am wiped out again. Is it over-training? Dehydration? Lack of heat training? I strongly believe in taking the right amount of recovery time, but with another big race coming up I can't afford to take rest days I don't need. For a lot of people, it takes just as much discipline to take rest days as it does to workout, and I understand that the body builds during rest periods. I have been doing this for five years, so I don't think my fitness level has anything to do with it. The deeper you get into fitness the more complicated it becomes to figure all this stuff out!

It sounds like acclimatization more than overtraining. Hydration may be a factor.

Instead of full rest days, try reducing the workload on your outside training days... either intensity or duration.. but not both.. In other words if you're schedule says 6 miles in an hour... either do 4 miles in an hour or do 6 miles in 90 minutes... Just as a hypothetical example.
  • RED_0N3
    RED_0N3 Posts: 22 Member
    I'd say yes and no. Most people don't work hard enough to over train. Most people who do get "over trained" are usually just training wrong.

I do believe that you can't lift heavy week in week out. E.g. Low rep high weight. You'll fry your central nervous system.
  • jsoko1
    jsoko1 Posts: 17 Member
    Yes it's real but dont let that be an excuse to hold yourself back in a gym. Alot of people dont get where theyre going without pushing themselves past their breaking point everynow and then, but rest up, keep your nutrtion on point and you will be able to increase that "overtraining" threshold further
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I think part of the issue on this thread is that different people ascribe somewhat different meanings to the term "overtraining". You can't reasonably talk about whether something is a myth, or how common it is, while using different definitions of the thing itself.

There are lots of different ways in which someone can do too much, and they may arrive there from different starting points (different levels of initial fitness is only one aspect). There are many potential outcomes, from mental burnout alone; to literal failure to respond positively, in physical terms, to additional training stimulus; to cases of injury, immune system compromise, etc.

Does "overtraining" refer to all forms of "doing too much", when athletic/exercise activity is involved, irrespective of starting point or symptoms?

Personally, I'd tend to limit the term to cases of somewhat well-trained people who have no positive response, and some negative physical symptoms, when they further increase training stimulus. I think of it as more a technical term.

To me, someone new to exercise who attempts too much (without gradually building up conditioning), possibly in conjunction with a steep calorie deficit . . . that's a more commonplace sense of overdoing. Just my take, though.

An old page from my visual journal:

qggo4pk1ygv1.jpg

I would absolutely agree with this. Insofar as I have always seen it used (by people actually qualified to have an opinion on the matter), overtraining is a state arrived at by way of an extensive and extended period of overreaching, that ends up resulting in reduced performance, negative adaptations, and hormonal imbalances. It is not, and will never be "newbie hurt his glutes by training hip thrusters six days in a row".

Yes, that's how I understand overtraining.

(And yes to Ann's post also.)
  • JoRocka
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I think part of the issue on this thread is that different people ascribe somewhat different meanings to the term "overtraining". You can't reasonably talk about whether something is a myth, or how common it is, while using different definitions of the thing itself.

There are lots of different ways in which someone can do too much, and they may arrive there from different starting points (different levels of initial fitness is only one aspect). There are many potential outcomes, from mental burnout alone; to literal failure to respond positively, in physical terms, to additional training stimulus; to cases of injury, immune system compromise, etc.

Does "overtraining" refer to all forms of "doing too much", when athletic/exercise activity is involved, irrespective of starting point or symptoms?

Personally, I'd tend to limit the term to cases of somewhat well-trained people who have no positive response, and some negative physical symptoms, when they further increase training stimulus. I think of it as more a technical term.

To me, someone new to exercise who attempts too much (without gradually building up conditioning), possibly in conjunction with a steep calorie deficit . . . that's a more commonplace sense of overdoing. Just my take, though.

An old page from my visual journal:

qggo4pk1ygv1.jpg

I would absolutely agree with this. Insofar as I have always seen it used (by people actually qualified to have an opinion on the matter), overtraining is a state arrived at by way of an extensive and extended period of overreaching, that ends up resulting in reduced performance, negative adaptations, and hormonal imbalances. It is not, and will never be "newbie hurt his glutes by training hip thrusters six days in a row".

much head nodding going on here.
  • jchx06x
    jchx06x Posts: 1 Member
    It's not a myth but unless your pushing it harder than boot camp or a Arizona cardinalstraining camp you will recognize you suddenly start to walk slower lift less and feel worse and start to pull it back a bit it's good to push yourself there once in a while to know your not undertraining i was walking three 1 hour walks a day I got up to 3.5mph and 10% for all 3 hours and my feet just shut me down so I went to 3mph and 10% and my body still said no so I went to 3mph no incline then I gained 5lbs now I'm at 3mph 10% for 1 and it's going well might drop to 45 min since I want to see 8% body fat by August and I'm dropping calories
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I think MFP had a strange group definition of what a myth is. Overtraining is a myth because it only happens to some people. By that logic, being audited by the IRS is a myth. And weight loss is a myth since most people pack on the pounds over their lifetimes.

Overtraining is a real thing; apparently it's also a myth.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Who said it's a myth? I mean, since that person is apparently speaking for MFP as a group and all, even though the vast majority of responses were no, it's not a myth.
  • thickspo91
    thickspo91 Posts: 14 Member
    I've been in the hospital before because of it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited June 2017
    thickspo91 wrote: »

Care to expand a bit?

I could drop the bar on my head during BTNPPs and end up in the ER. That doesn't mean that I was overtrained; just happened to miss the groove on the drop.

I could fall out while training during a weight cut. That doesn't mean that I was overtrained; I just allowed my dehydration to get a bit over the line for pairing with hard training stimulus.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    thickspo91 wrote: »

Care to expand a bit?

I could drop the bar on my head during BTNPPs and end up in the ER. That doesn't mean that I was overtrained; just happened to miss the groove on the drop.

I could fall out while training during a weight cut. That doesn't mean that I was overtrained; I just allowed my dehydration to get a bit over the line for pairing with hard training stimulus.

Without knowing the story, I would assume it was meant to be extreme dehydration, or REALLY poor nutrition, as in an eating disorder.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Yeah, fainting because you're dehydrated, underfed and/or over-tired isn't overtraining. It's just not fuelling and resting your body well enough for the activity you're asking it to do. People faint in fitness classes pretty frequently because of some or all of the above. They're certainly not overtraining.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    I think MFP had a strange group definition of what a myth is. Overtraining is a myth because it only happens to some people. By that logic, being audited by the IRS is a myth. And weight loss is a myth since most people pack on the pounds over their lifetimes.

Overtraining is a real thing; apparently it's also a myth.

The mythical part is people below elite levels aren't over-training, they're under-recovered.