Litting Heavy is One of Many Options

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Came in here expecting a new thread. Got in here and see OP is just trying to rehash an old thread where she literally got her *kitten* handed to her.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1025714-squats-and-big-booties

Been there, done that.

I'm outta here

dAUPUYQ.gif
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Came in here expecting a new thread. Got in here and see OP is just trying to rehash an old thread where she literally got her *kitten* handed to her.

Been there, done that.

I'm outta here

dAUPUYQ.gif

excellent
  • Dragonballzz
    Options
    Seems like this was posted to start trouble.
    pot-kettle.jpg
  • DigitalDiana
    DigitalDiana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

Been there, done that.

I'm outta here

dAUPUYQ.gif

:flowerforyou:
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options

Been there, done that.

I'm outta here

dAUPUYQ.gif

lmaoooOoOOOo
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

Been there, done that.

I'm outta here

dAUPUYQ.gif

Ah, that's what's going on. I was trying to read this as a positive message to enjoy your body, do activities you love, be open to what other people are passionate about etc., but there was a contentious tone to it.
    10xzud5.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OP, if your goal is fat loss, not just weight loss strength training along with a caloric deficit and adequate protein is the best way to achieve it.

The caloric deficit can come from diet alone, or a combo of diet and cardio. But if you don't strength train or get enough protein a large % of your weight loss will come from lean muscle, most people don't want to lose muscle, they want to lose fat.

FYI to the OP: heavy lifting is not bodybuilding. The heavy lifting people most ofter push is in the 5 rep range, bodybuilding for muscle growth happens most in the 8-12 rep range for most body parts, so heavy lifting =/= body building.

^^this

OP, you seem to be missing the basics here. Most people's goals are to maintain LBM while dieting. Programs like Stronglifts are and effective way of doing that, while many other forms of exercise are not. It is easily understood, has a good progressive loading plan worked in, has a lot of people doing it do there is support for questions.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Been there, done that.

I'm outta here

dAUPUYQ.gif

IN...

For more Squatz n Big Booties discussion.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

Been there, done that.

I'm outta here

dAUPUYQ.gif

IN...

For more Squatz n Big Booties discussion.

In for booty.....

Wondering if OP had that post copied/pasted or if she took the time to write a new one?

In any event when a post looks like that with all those words and not enough line breaks to separate thoughts.

TOO LONG

berneydidnotread.gif?1318992465

ETA: Okay went back and skimmed it a bit. Maybe I have adult ADD so sue me. Anyway this was posted under "General Diet and Weight Loss Help"

My only two thoughts are:

1) How is this helping?

2) Who in the world is out there that wants to lose weight and have zero muscle? Hi, I weigh 90 lbs and my body fat % is 60%. I bet that person looks absolutely FABULOUS. If people are going to lose weight, why not gain a nice physique to go along with it?

This post also reminds me 2 things:

1) Women that lift get bulky and huge
    2) Marathon Runner vs Sprinting Thats been beaten to death as well. Last time I checked I didnt see Nike offering any endorsement deals to the Gold Medal marathon winner.

But hey, you can still lose weight and look like 10lbs of sh1t in a 5lb sack if you want to. Is that what some peoples goals are? :flowerforyou:
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    A few great posts so far. Goal oriented training > one solution for all

I'll only add that the fun factor creates consistency: fun+consistency and goals > goal oriented training > any single program.

But I rarely see people saying that weight training is the only solution - it's usually a short cut to say it's the most efficient and general solution for body recomposition. But if you don't like it, how are you going to be consistent?

Do what you like that fits your goals, make it progressive. Rinse. Repeat.

Hear, hear :drinker:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Been there, done that.

I'm outta here

dAUPUYQ.gif

my only point to add to Neader's was that often when people are being accused here of pushing heavy lifting, they are suggesting it because the person has a very specific request where heavy lifting is the best option to achieve the desired results. Oddly enough my example was going to be building a butt. Want to get in shape - endless possibilities. Have a specific goal - that may define the answer you get. I've never seen anyone here say heavy lifting was the only answer.

On the running note - I've trained up to half marathon distance while heavy lifting. I am now not currently lifting heavy.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Cool! I love minions! and there is nothing to defend. I simply stated that i felt this was posted to cause trouble...:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: on the personal attacks

tumblr_mel90kwsX71rr2zps_large.gif
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Cool! I love minions! and there is nothing to defend. I simply stated that i felt this was posted to cause trouble...:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: on the personal attacks

tumblr_mel90kwsX71rr2zps_large.gif

Wait.... I thought you were MY minion.

Damn, I've been doing it wrong.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    fat loss > weight loss

Provide stimulus to preserve LBM (however you want).

Or just be skinny fat, if that is your goal.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    actually most of the bodybuilding sites do allow for weight loss - they call it recomp and bodyfat %. And there are MANY programs that are full body strength training - and if you don't think that gives you a cardio workout you are dead wrong.

If you're going to naysay strength training, then at least be accurate
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

tumblr_mq8z745bq21s6vvjuo1_500.gif
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    OP, if your goal is fat loss, not just weight loss strength training along with a caloric deficit and adequate protein is the best way to achieve it.

The caloric deficit can come from diet alone, or a combo of diet and cardio. But if you don't strength train or get enough protein a large % of your weight loss will come from lean muscle, most people don't want to lose muscle, they want to lose fat.

FYI to the OP: heavy lifting is not bodybuilding. The heavy lifting people most ofter push is in the 5 rep range, bodybuilding for muscle growth happens most in the 8-12 rep range for most body parts, so heavy lifting =/= body building.

^^this

OP, you seem to be missing the basics here. Most people's goals are to maintain LBM while dieting. Programs like Stronglifts are and effective way of doing that, while many other forms of exercise are not. It is easily understood, has a good progressive loading plan worked in, has a lot of people doing it do there is support for questions.

Well said, so I won't repeat it. I love Stronglifts. I still have weight to lose and I'm not all bulky or muscle bound. I'm working to maintain some of my LBM. That's it. Plus it makes me feel strong. OP has posted many threads along this line. If you don't want to lift - don't.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

^^this

Crap. Sara answered. That means that anything anybody else posts is pretty much redundant.

Nevertheless - my two cents are that there are strength minimum (like squatting your body weight) that will make you more effective no matter your chosen form of sport.

Many, many runners have noticed speed gains after starting a progressive resistance program because their general level of fitness improves and they develop their core powerhouse, which makes them more efficient and less likely to get injured. However, which ever strategy you use to get to it is irrelevant.

Heavy lifting is just efficient and, if you have access to the equipment, an easy way to make the gains you need in the 2.5 hours of recommended weekly exercise. I have two kids, as do many on here. This means that I don't have the leeway to go mess around for hours and hours.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Provide stimulus to preserve LBM (however you want).

Exactly this.

Telling people to "lift heavy" is a positive message but that doesn't mean a particular rep rang barbells for this specific goal.

To preserve LBM all you have to do is to work with sufficient resistance progressively.

Resistance = any kind of weight (so your body, barbells & plates, kettlebells etc)
    Sufficient = last few reps must be challenging to complete with good form
    Progressively = once the last few reps become easy make the exercise more challenging
This discussion has been closed.