Litting Heavy is One of Many Options

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Remember this is My Fitness PAL, not BODYBUILDING Dot COM. Let's support everyone on their fitness journey and respect the different paths they choose to get there. We may not all have the same goals, but we do share the common desire to be fit and healthy, so can we get there will a little less judgement.

Ha!! Good luck with that. In the 2+ years I've been here, when I mention that I don't lift heavy I've been told I will be skinny fat, my muscles will waste away, I will not look good naked, I will end up in a nursing home, my bone density will decrease, plus a few other things I'm forgetting at the moment.

I am told this even when I mention that I do body weight exercises, lift occasionally (but not progressively heavier and higher reps) and plyometrics, among various other exercises.

None of it has happened though. The only 2 people that see me naked think I look good. My strength and endurance have increased, while my weight, pants size and BF% have decreased.

The headless torsos don't really know it all.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    OP, if your goal is fat loss, not just weight loss strength training along with a caloric deficit and adequate protein is the best way to achieve it.

The caloric deficit can come from diet alone, or a combo of diet and cardio. But if you don't strength train or get enough protein a large % of your weight loss will come from lean muscle, most people don't want to lose muscle, they want to lose fat.

FYI to the OP: heavy lifting is not bodybuilding. The heavy lifting people most ofter push is in the 5 rep range, bodybuilding for muscle growth happens most in the 8-12 rep range for most body parts, so heavy lifting =/= body building.

^^this

OP, you seem to be missing the basics here. Most people's goals are to maintain LBM while dieting. Programs like Stronglifts are and effective way of doing that, while many other forms of exercise are not. It is easily understood, has a good progressive loading plan worked in, has a lot of people doing it do there is support for questions.

Well said, so I won't repeat it. I love Stronglifts. I still have weight to lose and I'm not all bulky or muscle bound. I'm working to maintain some of my LBM. That's it. Plus it makes me feel strong. OP has posted many threads along this line. If you don't want to lift - don't.

I see my point has already been made, so I will quietly go back to drinking my coffee. Good day.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Is that Summer's new account I see?
  • shellylb52
    shellylb52 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    2) Marathon Runner vs Sprinting Thats been beaten to death as well. Last time I checked I didnt see Nike offering any endorsement deals to the Gold Medal marathon winner.

No. They signed up the guy with one leg.
  • kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength, All Pros and Stronglifts 5x5 are all great programs and there are countless testimonies of people who have gained strength from those programs. But let's be clear, gaining strength is the priority of those programs, not weight loss. Weight loss is possible on a calorie deficit, but you would undermine the very goal of this program, which is to gain strength. While some posters on MFP like to promote those programs for weight loss over other programs, bodybuilding.com and other bodybuilder sites don't generally promote these routines where weight loss is the PRIMARY goal, because your body doesn't have enough fuel to keep up the gains. Plus these routines are strenuous and may cause the cardio to suffer. No problem if you don't care for cardio, a big problem if you are prepping for a 10K in a few months.

My PRIMARY goal is to lose weight. I have been lifting heavy for 10 1/2 weeks, have continued to lose weight, and make significant strength gains. My body composition is better than it has ever been, and I am 20 lbs. heavier than my all time lowest weight. My calorie intake never changed when I started lifting, and my protein goal increased. That's all.

Weight lost in the last 10 1/2 weeks of lifting~ 18.8 lbs.

Squat~
    start~ 90 lbs.
    now~140 lbs.

Deadlift~
    start~ 90 lbs.
    now~160 lbs.

Bench~
    start~60 lbs.
    now~90 lbs.

OHP~
    start~45 lbs.
    now~ 60 lbs.

Pendlay Rows~
    start~ 45 lbs.
    now~ 85 lbs.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Remember this is My Fitness PAL, not BODYBUILDING Dot COM. Let's support everyone on their fitness journey and respect the different paths they choose to get there. We may not all have the same goals, but we do share the common desire to be fit and healthy, so can we get there will a little less judgement.

Ha!! Good luck with that. In the 2+ years I've been here, when I mention that I don't lift heavy I've been told I will be skinny fat, my muscles will waste away, I will not look good naked, I will end up in a nursing home, my bone density will decrease, plus a few other things I'm forgetting at the moment.

I am told this even when I mention that I do body weight exercises, lift occasionally (but not progressively heavier and higher reps) and plyometrics, among various other exercises.

None of it has happened though. The only 2 people that see me naked think I look good. My strength and endurance have increased, while my weight, pants size and BF% have decreased.

They also often opine that you will not get bigger and that you will look slimmer regardless of your proportions and where you hold your fat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Excuse me? I think I am the only headless torso in this thread so far and I have never told someone they 'have' to 'lift heavy' to achieve their goals.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

So put up pictures of how your body progressed.

We'll wait.
  • bcattoes
    Options

We'll wait.

No. I don't care if you believe me.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Excuse me? I think I am the only headless torso in this thread so far and I have never told someone they 'have' to 'lift heavy' to achieve their goals.

I'm pretty sure this thread hasn't been here for 2+ years.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    As expected, the two who despise these threads end up in this one.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to mention about about injuries and safety.

In the years leading up to when I started lifting, I would hurt myself by using improper body mechanics every few months, just doing ordinary things around the house. Well, maybe not so ordinary. But I can't possibly be the only woman to buy 40 pound buckets of cat litter, to put air conditioners in windows by herself, to rearrange furniture, etc. I have a large collection of wrist, knee and ankle braces, and spent a lot of time on the couch with a heating pad and a bunged up back.

In the two and a half years I've been here, I've had one semi-major injury. A stress fracture. From running.

I also had several weeks when I was in a great deal of pain when I first started exercising because I was doing squats with bad form, using 2 pound dumbbells. Because I hadn't done my home work and learned good form. The minute I started pushing through my heels instead of my toes, the pain went away.

In other words... ANYTHING you do can cause injury, if you don't do it properly.

I'm very careful and cautious when it comes to lifting heavy. If I don't feel confident I can manage the weight, I go lighter. Heavy is about what's heavy for you, not going in there first thing and lifting like you're Dwayne Johnson.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

huh?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

We'll wait.

No. I don't care if you believe me.

Hehe.

"I had great success without lifting! I look great, trust me."
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...this post seems to be going quite well for a Friday morning...drama, excitement, insults, butthurt, minions, bananas, a dash of love and understanding, sprinkled with heavy lifting, difference of opinion, and of course some wonderful gifs...now, if we could just toss in a cleanse, some water fasting, a few keytones, and some food avoidance and toxins...we'll be all set!!!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...this post seems to be going quite well for a Friday morning...drama, excitement, insults, butthurt, minions, bananas, a dash of love and understanding, sprinkled with heavy lifting, difference of opinion, and of course some wonderful gifs...now, if we could just toss in a cleanse, some water fasting, a few keytones, and some food avoidance and toxins...we'll be all set!!!

You forgot clean eating...
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

huh?
    Ignore her Sara. She is the Master Troll. Never provides any kind of proof, heavy chip on her shoulder for 'meatheads'.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    <Insert Ron Burgundy meme>
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Many, many runners have noticed speed gains after starting a progressive resistance program because their general level of fitness improves and they develop their core powerhouse, which makes them more efficient and less likely to get injured. However, which ever strategy you use to get to it is irrelevant.

I've noticed an increase in my running speed since I started strength training. I've also noticed that my knees hurt much less from the running now.
This discussion has been closed.