Volume Eaters Thread

Replies

• BigSherly
    BigSherly Posts: 2 Member
    I need a place to look for filling, high volume, low calorie meals. HELP!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    BigSherly wrote: »
    I need a place to look for filling, high volume, low calorie meals. HELP!

The key to your meals will be lots of vegetables. What you eat will be up to you. You can try a google search for "volumetrics" to get some ideas. Pinterest is also a good place if you need more ideas.

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I volume ate 7 donuts today. I would never choose Dunkin Donuts for a treat, but they were free in the reception area. If it wasn't for the security cameras and people around, I would have taken one bite of each flavor, then tossed the rest. But oh no.....I felt compelled to eat one, then go back for another, and another. I'm not sure why free food is so appealing. Or why they serve donuts in a health care office building.

Yeah "volume eating" isn't code for over eating or binge behaviour. High volume for a good calorie spend is where we're at.
    I dunno what happened to my post. Sorry if this has already been discussed on here......I usually just lurk on here, but I was wondering if you can please post the recipe you used to make this fluff

Please go browse the thread, 20-something pages isn't tons to scroll through and we really did this to death already. There are probably 10-12 pages of all the variations people tried and liked best.

Why does it matter if it was done to death? Many people struggle with finding voluminous recipes or ways to feel satisfied with dessert. Personally I love seeing everyone's creations & new ways that they tweak their original recipes.

For those that love Pumpkin/Pumpkin Spice stuff I got an email that Trutein brought back their Pumpkin flavor for the season.

You can get it in 2 LB/4 LB tubs or a sample pack.

http://www.bodynutrition.com/product/trutein-whey-casein-egg-white/#1495074463544-9d224cd9-7649
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Does anyone else make roasted chickpeas? They were delicious right out of the oven, bushy mushy the next day. What's the proper way to store them?

They should not get soggy once baked. They dry out in the process.
    Canned, drained and dried overnight. Cover with spices you like. Bake at 400F turning every now and then. Store in a jar once cool.

Note: chickpeas or any legume is not a volume eater food at all. Its a calorie bomb lol

Some of us volume eaters incorporate portions of "calorie bomb" foods into our meals for satiety.

Beans are volume foods for me in my 600 calorie meal of the day. I had an entire tin of British Heinz beans in tomato sauce the other day, it was 300 calories. I had it with rice and some spinach. Total meal was around 650 calories.

I don't get this "it can't be higher calorie" to have in volume mentality thing. If I want to eat 300 calories of beans or potatoes, I'm going to. That's a lot of food, it fills me up, and it's part of volume eating.

Who said that there's a rule that everything HAS to be low calorie to be in volume?

I space and plan my meals and have the calories for it.

Well to me volume eating is about huge amounts of food (volume or size of a meal) that still fits your calorie goal. As an example, for me, that can of beans would be like nothing for me and I will be looking for more food shortly :)

Well that's you. Like someone else said not everyone finds the sames foods satisfying.

I found when I paired beans in my weekly lunch meal preps with other veggies, varying meats, & some other mix-ins it was satisfying.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Does anyone else make roasted chickpeas? They were delicious right out of the oven, bushy mushy the next day. What's the proper way to store them?

They should not get soggy once baked. They dry out in the process.
    Canned, drained and dried overnight. Cover with spices you like. Bake at 400F turning every now and then. Store in a jar once cool.

Note: chickpeas or any legume is not a volume eater food at all. Its a calorie bomb lol

Some of us volume eaters incorporate portions of "calorie bomb" foods into our meals for satiety.

Beans are volume foods for me in my 600 calorie meal of the day. I had an entire tin of British Heinz beans in tomato sauce the other day, it was 300 calories. I had it with rice and some spinach. Total meal was around 650 calories.

I don't get this "it can't be higher calorie" to have in volume mentality thing. If I want to eat 300 calories of beans or potatoes, I'm going to. That's a lot of food, it fills me up, and it's part of volume eating.

Who said that there's a rule that everything HAS to be low calorie to be in volume?

I space and plan my meals and have the calories for it.

Well to me volume eating is about huge amounts of food (volume or size of a meal) that still fits your calorie goal. As an example, for me, that can of beans would be like nothing for me and I will be looking for more food shortly :)

Well that's you. Like someone else said not everyone finds the sames foods satisfying.

I found when I paired beans in my weekly lunch meal preps with other veggies, varying meats, & some other mix-ins it was satisfying.

Exactly. To me. Beans and any legumes are just a waste of calories. Again, to me.

And to me, beans are a necessity, as I'm vegetarian.

On another note, if you haven't tried buffalo cauliflower, its a great and easy football snack.
  • BootyfulBikerZX10r
    BootyfulBikerZX10r Posts: 72 Member
    Ive discovered volume eating has kept me from binging and craving things. If it works for you then keep it up
  • maisiba
    maisiba Posts: 66 Member
    Add in some firm tofu for low calorie protein option to this and complete meal under 400cal :)

Yeah, I thought tofu could be a good addition too; I also wondered about tuna - which definitely works well with the cauliflower and spinach, I'm just not 100% sure about the combo with the squash (I haven't cooked a lot with squash yet). This was basically a first try so I was happy to go with the recipe ingredients as is and try variations next time. Thanks for the tofu tip. Any opinion on tuna in this dish?

• maisiba
    maisiba Posts: 66 Member
    edited October 2017
    I hate heated up canned tuna so for me this would be a big no no. But a nice raw tuna might work, but again this would be a waste of a good meat. Shrimps will work for sure.

Ahh, shrimps are a great idea. Thanks for the tip. I think I would prefer that over tofu. :smiley:
  • smithy08js
    smithy08js Posts: 36 Member
    Volume eating is a new term for me. I think I would like it. Can you guys tell me more about it?
  • ColetteM6
    ColetteM6 Posts: 138 Member
    Spaghetti squash is my new favorite volume food.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Most decadent ice cream fluff ever......
    Quest peanut butter PP + tablespoon of PB2, dash vanilla and liquid Splenda, 4oz coconut milk and a small banana all blended. Super creamy and nutty! Wow.

Dinner experiment: teriyaki tempeh with spaghetti squash and grilled rum and agave pineapple chunks.

I can't eat the Quest PB powder due to the thickening gum in it, but I agree that PB2 added to the fluff makes it amazing. I just make mine with vanilla. It's still pretty nutty tasting. The coconut milk sounds like a great twist on it!

I pretty much can only use the vanilla Quest powder.

I've been on a spaghetti squash kick myself lately. It's one of my favorite volume foods.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited October 2017
    This is going to sound like sacrilege. I know a lot of people are big on laughing cow, but if I want cheesy texture in my meals, I stir in shredded Kraft fat free cheddar cheese instead. It melts just fine and you get a big hit of protein for just 10 more calories than a wedge of Laughing cow.

When I'm having pasta, I stir in some of the ff mozzarella for the same effect. I'm all about the protein.

I do like the idea of stirring it into cauliflower rice. I'd never thought of that. I'm going to give that a go.

The family wants pizza one night next week, I might make myself something for dinner with cauli rice, cheese and... something (I'll think on this) since I can't eat the pizza.

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I can't get that Laughing Cow to melt properly to save my life. Usually I burn it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    I can't get that Laughing Cow to melt properly to save my life. Usually I burn it.

Yeah, you've really got to mash it around in things and play with it. I had trouble with it too.