What terms/phrases wind you up about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I see your point. I meant more that 1lb of muscle takes up less space than 1lb of fat :)

Exactly - but I was also trying to illustrate that, just like you left out the "one pound" because it was implied, people who say that "muscle weighs more than fat" generally assume that the 'equivalent volume' is implied in that statement.
    Ainadan wrote: »
    Jdismybug1 wrote: »
    Forgot to mention people talking about their "cheat day."
    You didn't cheat, you made a conscious decision to eat what you wanted in the quantities you wanted! Grrrr!

This... drives me crazy

Cheating is always a conscious choice. You don't accidentally cheat on tests either. It is more that cheating on anything has negative consequences, and when people don't want to own up to those and accept them, it can get annoying.

IMO it's inaccurate. Cheating implies that you got something you don't deserve (such as a higher grade on a test) because you didn't earn it fairly. The thing is, with "cheating" on your diet, you can't really do that. Whether you log that Krispy Kreme donut in your food diary or not, your body certainly logs those calories!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    For many of us 1200 calories is NOT too low - there are plenty of us older, shorter women on these boards who lose weight at the rate of .5 lbs or less a week on 1200 calories, even those of us who are moderately active. And I really resent it when the poster goes on to boast "I'm 5'1" and I eat 2500 calories just to MAINTAIN!"

The flip side of this is what bugs me. "I'm in my 20s, 5'7", weigh 200 pounds, and I gain on 1400 calories."

People in general are extremely bad at knowing what their average caloric intake is, what their TDEE is, and what their average rate of loss is. It takes a long time to gather enough data to be able to make a decent estimate of any of that, and then you have to actually do the math for the estimate.

Oh yes, this!!! People who claim to maintain/gain on a low amount of calories and complain about it when they probably eat much more than that...
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I hate the term "pigging out" when referring to self. It's so self hating.
    If I say I pigged out, I'm probably bragging. Lol
    pinuplove wrote: »
    English is not my first language, so I don't get what's wrong with talking about "muscle tone" or "being toned"? Just had a quick glance at Wikipedia, and the word seems related to muscle.

It is. Atonic literally means 'lacking muscular tone.' So tone is technically fine to say.

However, when someone says they want to 'tone up' I still always picture this:
    jovpf0g7ojde.gif

Thanks! Maybe there are certain negative connotations that you only have as a native speaker. But there have been a couple of people here in this thread that are bothered by someone saying muscle tone or getting toned. Then they seem to be wrong, not the people who say that.

There is a misconception that a person's muscles may be soft and "un-toned" and that working out with light weights or cardio will "tone" those muscles, making them tighter and firmer (appearing smaller). However, that's not actually how things work so when people take issue with people wanting to "tone," it has more to do with this misconception than the word itself.

The truth is that muscle is denser and firmer than fat so if your arm feels soft and squishy, it's because you have fat in your arm. The way to "get toned" then is to either 1) lose the fat to reveal the muscle underneath or 2) build the muscle (making it bigger) so that it can be seen/felt in contrast to the fat.
    However, people think that if they're not too overweight and they feel soft, it's not due to the presence of fat and their muscles are just soft/fluffy, which is not really the case.

I do not use the term pigging out but sometimes when I know I am mindlessly eating too much I tell myself that I am being a little piggy. Is it self hating, no, but it makes me laugh and sometimes it makes me stop eating whatever I am eating.
  • bramble345
    bramble345 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    There's another thread going right now where the discussion is about "full fat" coke. I know that's a regional colloquialism, maybe started as a joke. But it gives me a full-body shudder.

Oh dear, I use this one a lot. its pretty common usage round here (north of England).

Please someone tell me where 'thick' is seen as a compliment? I'm genuinely curious. Other than describing someone as 'thick round the middle' (and that was really not intended in a positive light), the more usual descriptive use I've heard is 'thick as pig excrement' (poshed up a bit there as pigkitten just doesnt sound right)

• bramble345
    bramble345 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bramble345 wrote: »
    There's another thread going right now where the discussion is about "full fat" coke. I know that's a regional colloquialism, maybe started as a joke. But it gives me a full-body shudder.

Oh dear, I use this one a lot. its pretty common usage round here (north of England).

Please someone tell me where 'thick' is seen as a compliment? I'm genuinely curious. Other than describing someone as 'thick round the middle' (and that was really not intended in a positive light), the more usual descriptive use I've heard is 'thick as pig excrement' (poshed up a bit there as pigkitten just doesnt sound right)

Male anatomy.

Can't argue with you on that one
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    bramble345 wrote: »

It's not so much a compliment as an observation... some guys like thick girls... meaning large, but well proportioned..

Generally it wouldn't be said directly to the woman, but by a guy to his guy friends as a reference to his attraction or appreciation of her figure.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    shrcpr wrote: »
    Losing weight is x% diet and x% exercise.

It's not. It's 100% a calorie deficit. How each person chooses to get to a deficit is completely up to them.

(Wow, I had to read this like 15 times before posting to make sure I didn't misspell losing. And, then I had to look up misspell...)

Apparently misspelled is the most misspelled word in English... Some people also manage to misspell inaccurately

I would annoy you. Maybe because that's how I create my deficit (x% diet y%exercise). A shortcut really. People are always going on about how I should exercise to lose weight and I'm like, NOPE. Easier for me to eat less.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    Ok serious question - what is wrong with transformation or journey?

Oh yes.. transformation! My ex- couldn't wait to see my "transformation." A few days later, I wasn't transformed enough, and we broke up.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    nokanjaijo wrote: »
    None. It actually annoys me how wound up people get over particular phrases.

I agree. It's especially weird to me since it seems that most of the time, it's people who are taking an obvious idiom literally.

Like, "I could care less" means the person doesn't care. Everybody knows that but people still want to complain forever about how it literally means that you do care.

Actually the saying is I couldn't care less. Meaning I care so little it is impossible to care less than I do.

That's the point she was trying to make, lol. People using 'I could care less' instead of 'I couldn't care less' and people playing the grammar police even though they know exactly what the person meant (to be fair - it annoys me too).
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    nokanjaijo wrote: »
    None. It actually annoys me how wound up people get over particular phrases.

I agree. It's especially weird to me since it seems that most of the time, it's people who are taking an obvious idiom literally.

Like, "I could care less" means the person doesn't care. Everybody knows that but people still want to complain forever about how it literally means that you do care.

Actually the saying is I couldn't care less. Meaning I care so little it is impossible to care less than I do.

That's the point she was trying to make, lol. People using 'I could care less' instead of 'I couldn't care less' and people playing the grammar police even though they know exactly what the person meant (to be fair - it annoys me too).

Oh, I read it as she thought the saying was"I could care less" and didn't like that people would tell her the saying means people do care (which it does) even though she means it as she doesn't care.