What terms/phrases wind you up about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yaranak wrote: »
    "if it tastes good, spit it out"

why... ?

That's terrible.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    sjaplo wrote: »
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    dale050467 wrote: »
    using loose instead of lose

English speaking grammer Nazis who seem to assume that everyone who communicates in English speaks English as a first language and must therefore be perfect at it.

I corrected my mistake Herr Generaloberst.

Huh. Loose and lose. See the thing is they are two different words with two different meanings. It's nothing to do with grammar Nazism - because it isn't grammar. The opposite of loose is tight, the opposite of lose is gain. You might as well say " I want to apricot weight" because it makes as much sense.

I bolded your statement because I fail to understand why you took offence to learning something new - if English is indeed a second language for you then you now know the difference and can use either word correctly in the future. "Ich bien ein berliner" if you see what I mean?

I don't think people actually think that "loose" and "lose" are interchangeable or that "loose" is the right word.
    I'm pretty sure it's just a simple typo that their spell-checker/autocorrect doesn't fix.

I think a shockingly high percentage of people, native English speakers, DO believe that loose is the correct spelling. I even had some jerk (who had other silly things to say) make fun of me for using "lose" way back in 2014 (I recall because he also called me fat when I mentioned being 140, and so I can date it to when I was 140).

I first noticed this years and years ago when I used to read some (American) football usenet groups and people would go on about how some team was going to loose. The general discussion level didn't get too much better, although there were some interesting stats discussions, so I quickly explored elsewhere.
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    "Research shows" then gives their opinion without any indication of where and what the research is. This isn't just when it comes to dieting. I have colleagues who do this at work. They do it to shut down the debate by claiming they are an expert or there is scientific evidence they are right. Frustrating.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    sjaplo wrote: »
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    dale050467 wrote: »
    using loose instead of lose

English speaking grammer Nazis who seem to assume that everyone who communicates in English speaks English as a first language and must therefore be perfect at it.

I corrected my mistake Herr Generaloberst.

Huh. Loose and lose. See the thing is they are two different words with two different meanings. It's nothing to do with grammar Nazism - because it isn't grammar. The opposite of loose is tight, the opposite of lose is gain. You might as well say " I want to apricot weight" because it makes as much sense.

I bolded your statement because I fail to understand why you took offence to learning something new - if English is indeed a second language for you then you now know the difference and can use either word correctly in the future. "Ich bien ein berliner" if you see what I mean?

I don't think people actually think that "loose" and "lose" are interchangeable or that "loose" is the right word.
    I'm pretty sure it's just a simple typo that their spell-checker/autocorrect doesn't fix.

I think a shockingly high percentage of people, native English speakers, DO believe that loose is the correct spelling. I even had some jerk (who had other silly things to say) make fun of me for using "lose" way back in 2014 (I recall because he also called me fat when I mentioned being 140, and so I can date it to when I was 140).

I first noticed this years and years ago when I used to read some (American) football usenet groups and people would go on about how some team was going to loose. The general discussion level didn't get too much better, although there were some interesting stats discussions, so I quickly explored elsewhere.

Oh my cow...what a loser that guy was...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Sometimes I despair that this whole generation doesn't know how to shop or how to cook.

Historically, only a small fraction of people needed to know how to cook well, because meals were far more communal than they are in the era of the 1.6 kid nuclear family.

Everybody knowing how to cook would actually be the historical anomaly.

Suppose that's true (I'd argue the point.). Still, basic cooking is:
    • Dead easy
    • Cheaper
    • Likely to be more nutritious ovetall (if you're trying for that)
    • Tastier (potentially)
    • Lower calorie (if you're trying at all)
    • Quicker than non-cooking people imagine
    . . . compared to prepared foods or restaurants.

I wish more people would give it a whirl.

(I know you didn't specifically argue the contrary, @Mr_Knight.)
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I hate the term "pigging out" when referring to self. It's so self hating.
    If I say I pigged out, I'm probably bragging. Lol
    pinuplove wrote: »
    English is not my first language, so I don't get what's wrong with talking about "muscle tone" or "being toned"? Just had a quick glance at Wikipedia, and the word seems related to muscle.

It is. Atonic literally means 'lacking muscular tone.' So tone is technically fine to say.

However, when someone says they want to 'tone up' I still always picture this:
    jovpf0g7ojde.gif

Thanks! Maybe there are certain negative connotations that you only have as a native speaker. But there have been a couple of people here in this thread that are bothered by someone saying muscle tone or getting toned. Then they seem to be wrong, not the people who say that.

There is a misconception that a person's muscles may be soft and "un-toned" and that working out with light weights or cardio will "tone" those muscles, making them tighter and firmer (appearing smaller). However, that's not actually how things work so when people take issue with people wanting to "tone," it has more to do with this misconception than the word itself.

The truth is that muscle is denser and firmer than fat so if your arm feels soft and squishy, it's because you have fat in your arm. The way to "get toned" then is to either 1) lose the fat to reveal the muscle underneath or 2) build the muscle (making it bigger) so that it can be seen/felt in contrast to the fat.
    However, people think that if they're not too overweight and they feel soft, it's not due to the presence of fat and their muscles are just soft/fluffy, which is not really the case.
    Oooooooooooooh.

Is THAT what the toning arguments are about? Did not realise that anyone was under that misapprehension at all. I've been vaguely noticing passionate arguments on "toning"and whether it was possible to "make yourself toned" for yonks.

Did wonder why anyone would be arguing against the idea that it's possible to make your muscles slightly bigger, but not very much bigger.

Light has dawned.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Oh good. :smile: Because I'm not arguing against people knowing how to do basic cooking - the points you listed are all valid - just pointing out that it would be a relatively new expectation, because historically, that wasn't the case.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I picked up a family pack of pork chops and it made the equivalent of three dinners (just the two of us). The meal worked out to fifty cents a serving. Sure the sides were a little bit more but not much more. Can any fast food place beat that?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I despair that this whole generation doesn't know how to shop or how to cook.

Historically, only a small fraction of people needed to know how to cook well, because meals were far more communal than they are in the era of the 1.6 kid nuclear family.

• Dead easy
    • Cheaper
    • Tastier (potentially)

I'd argue that basic cooking seems easy to people that know how to cook, but I have heard of people burning water and following simple instructions.... Well you know how that goes.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    Practice makes anything easier.

Sometimes these you-tube videos make it worse by showing off a five star skill like its dead easy.

Don't start with the Souffle.

Most people don't waste food like that.. Also that's probably when it becomes expensive.

I do agree that practice makes perfect.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

• Dead easy
    • Cheaper
    • Tastier (potentially)

I'd argue that basic cooking seems easy to people that know how to cook, but I have heard of people burning water and following simple instructions.... Well you know how that goes.

People who have the physical coordination and attention span required to drive a car, and the memory/intelligence needed to follow multi-episode TV shows, could learn basic cooking. They simply don't want to.

It's their call - it's not a moral obligation. I just think it's not the wisest available choice - especially if they're trying to get healthier or lose weight.

ETA: I think I'm starting to confuse this with the "Unpopular Opinions" thread. ;) Jeesh. Sorry!

Lol I agree. But then again common sense is not common and expectations are high here. :laugh:

And all the MFP threads start to run together after a while..
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    rkmomm wrote: »
    mlinci wrote: »
    - Lol. Ok, I'm showing my age here (an ancient 41 year old here), but why do people feel the urge to write lol in random places in a sentence? For example "I am at 180lbs now and really need to get to 120lbs lol". Do some people's keyboards just randomly dispense the word?...

Yes! The random lols! I don't get it either! They are usually inserted when there is nothing remotely funny nearby. Is it like a nervous tic or something? (To be fair, I'm even more ancient...)

I think it generally means I'm joking...or being silly