What terms/phrases wind you up about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    'peanut butter is a good source of protein'.

GAH. Might as well say that bread is a good source of protein then. So aggravating.

Peanut Butter IS an objectively good source of protein

Chicken breast has 16 grams protein per 52 gram serving
    Peanut butter has 8 grams protein per 32 gram serving
    Bread has less than 3.6 grams protein per 28 gram serving

Weight doesn't matter one bit. You're supposed to look at the amount of protein per calories.

200 calories of chicken breast give you 40g of protein
    200 calories of PB will give you 7g of protein
    200 calories of French bread will give you 8g of protein

So yep. French bread is a better source of protein than peanut butter.

200 calories of French bread is half a loaf(8 servings)
    200 calories of PB is half a serving.
    200 calories of chicken breast is 2 servings

Dowhatchalike, but that doesn't make PB a poor source of Protein.

Funny . . . my jar says a serving of peanut butter is 30g = 190 calories. Brands vary +/- 10 calories or so, but still . . . .
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    It makes me chuckle to imagine "loose" becoming the norm someday in the future.
    I'm late to this, but "loose" is the norm today. It normally means something that is baggy or doesn't fit tightly because it is too "loose."

I think it highly unlikely that in a hundred years, "loose" will drift to mean "get rid of." Never mind that that drift in meaning would also entail a grammatical shift, from adjective to verb. Linguistically speaking, that doesn't usually happen. I mean, Gollum did it, transitioning "precious," between noun and adjective, ("My precious [ring]." "Why does he look at us that way, Precious?") but that is done by a corrupted character in a fictional universe. So . . . nah. Not gonna happen.
  • OregonMother
    Options

GAH.

But, but, but , :cry:

Can we at least agree that it's amazingly delicious?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options

GAH.

But, but, but , :cry:

Can we at least agree that it's amazingly delicious?

No it's not. :sick:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm late to this, but "loose" is the norm today. It normally means something that is baggy or doesn't fit tightly because it is too "loose."

I think it highly unlikely that in a hundred years, "loose" will drift to mean "get rid of." Never mind that that drift in meaning would also entail a grammatical shift, from adjective to verb. Linguistically speaking, that doesn't usually happen. I mean, Gollum did it, transitioning "precious," between noun and adjective, ("My precious [ring]." "Why does he look at us that way, Precious?") but that is done by a corrupted character in a fictional universe. So . . . nah. Not gonna happen.

Noun to verb happens a lot. Googling, adulting, etc. So, maybe.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Epic cross-post with @lemurcat12, Batman! Sorry.
  • OregonMother
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I've heard people claim "whole 9 yards" is a football reference and go to lengths to explain why it's 9 and not 10 and even to assume it is a football reference so say "whole 10 yards." But it's not, even if we don't know what it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_whole_nine_yards

Going on down the football rabbit trail, I heard someone yesterday say, "They are on the 99 yard line."

What??
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    GMTA! ;-)
  • OregonMother
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »

I'm just going to throw "pro-active" out there. This word didn't exist until the 80s - Used as follows; "Let's be pro-active instead of reactive." The opposite of reactive is active, but pro-active was used often enough and it was added to the dictionary - and now we can't seem to loose it.

(See what I did there?)

As in, "we can't seem to loose it [from our grip]?" :wink:

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »

I'm just going to throw "pro-active" out there. This word didn't exist until the 80s - Used as follows; "Let's be pro-active instead of reactive." The opposite of reactive is active, but pro-active was used often enough and it was added to the dictionary - and now we can't seem to loose it.

(See what I did there?)

As in, "we can't seem to loose it [from our grip]?" :wink:

Nicely done!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I've heard people claim "whole 9 yards" is a football reference and go to lengths to explain why it's 9 and not 10 and even to assume it is a football reference so say "whole 10 yards." But it's not, even if we don't know what it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_whole_nine_yards

Going on down the football rabbit trail, I heard someone yesterday say, "They are on the 99 yard line."

What??

I would take that to mean that they have almost the whole way to go still ahead of them. I can almost imagine someone saying "Hey guys, we're not on the 1-yard line. We're not even on the 50. We're on the 99-yard line!"
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

I'm missing the context to this and the thread is too long to go back and find it, but I expect amusedmonkey meant that she was amused at the idea of "loose" becoming the normal spelling of lose (which is horrible to imagine but probably will happen, as language evolves).

Yes, that's what I meant. It is possible for a word to acquire an alternative acceptable spelling before the old one gets gradually pushed out of usage. Language is fascinatingly organic.

Side note:
    Hangry and bro (bruh too) are now recognized words in the dictionary.
  • SundropEclipse
    SundropEclipse Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    When people say CICO doesn't matter if you're eating fat/carbs/sugar. It's a very simple principle: a pound of feathers and a pound of stones are both a pound. 3,500 fat calories and 3,500 veggie calories are both a pound.

Organic/vegan/anti-buzzword nazis. If you want to eat only organic or waste money on non-gluten products you don't *need*, go right ahead. But stop badgering others with your diet and nutrition degree from Facebook University.