Hey Guys!! Onions Question! :) Please help!! lol!

Options
So I read that Onions were awesome for aging - which is so great because Ive been quite stressed fora bit so I need to undo this stress damage super fast before getting back to normal -- but do you guys know anything to put on the onions? I use ketchup, but I want something plain because its an added- not something Im normally eating and I don't want the DDED SUGAR. BUT I HAVE TO EAT LIKE A HANDFUL OF CHOPPED ONION A DAY - AND HOPING TO FOR ABOUT A MONTH. so keep that in mind! lol -- hopefully a few ways will help -- and staying away from sodium - like chicken broth... maybe something to counteract the taste which I suppose lemon would be horrific - but something along that line! Please help!! Thank you!!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you read that, but it sounds made up.

That said, I love chopped onions. I have them on soups and stews (they're great on chili), on sandwiches, or mixed into beans. Lemon juice and onion would be a fine combination (for me, anyway), onions often go really well with acid. I will sometimes quick pickle onions in apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar and have them that way.

But if you feel you have to counteract the taste, why eat them? Life is too short to choke down things you don't like.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is true but onions are delicious and I eat them with just about every dinner also garlic YUM
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I like to sautee them with garlic powder and seasoning salt. Baking them with salt/pepper/garlic powder is pretty good, too.
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling you've been duped on the whole onion thing.

But just for plain ol' fun.....how about French Onion Soup! I don't think it'll slow down aging but it's tasty!!
  • Hellobeautifuls
    Hellobeautifuls Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    no - they have a bunch ofantioxidents? and all - and are really healthy - just wanted to do undo a lil stress that I was told would go away in a lil time anyhow but also they're good for undoing sun damage and a bunch of things - I'm not totally serious - but I don't see why not - its just a handful and for like a month so its not suffering even if I down it with ketchup or soda -- and I love onion in smaller quantities I was just looking for recipes with larger amounts of onion. And the prunes were for my back - I was told it was a good idea since I have been sitting a lot because of it and for a long time. and they're really healthy -- I also love nutrition and learning about all this stuff so like to give these things a shot so its kind of more fun for me then the whole life is too short thing. but maybe prunes and onions do go ;) lol but I felt the need to write that so its explained because of the first two comments -- but its only for a month and its kinda fun to give it a go.... but still - if anyone else has any ideas, let me know. thanks. like I also like the natural masques for the hair? and all -- like with yogurt-- Ive gotten a few of those off here and look all of that up and ask other people. Its just fun.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    If onions truly worked that way, then why are there people out there that look "aged"? My dad ate onions every day for years and still looks aged.

You cannot escape or reverse aging. It happens to us all.

Stop reading woo websites. Read science-based texts instead. There are no anti aging foods. There are no magical foods.
  • Hellobeautifuls
    edited June 2017
    Options
    thanks - amused monk...and kimney
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't believe onions have magical anti-aging properties, but they are good added to lots of things. So far today I had some in my omelet and am eating pickled onions (does that ruin the good vibes?) on a salad.
  • Hellobeautifuls
    Options
    what do you mean ruin the good vibes?
  • Hellobeautifuls
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I had an injury I said everyone is entitled to write what they want- but I already said -- its not literally for anti aging and is for fun. and that was a repeat. so that above is wrong? like what is this? this was just a fun post? I don't have obesity- my weight on my page is wrong and I checked and that weight is not obese either because my phone is broken -- I just can't work out -- I can't change my age and Im on my computer now because my phone is broken. I don't sit out in the sun -- Ive spent most pf time indoors with a bog injury. my stress was my injury and a lot of pain and trying to do everything I had to do with a big injury -- I had to manage a lot. I am fine with aging - its for a month! I have fun doing these things! and like hair masques that Ive gotten off of here in the past-- in the past people on here also enjoyed doing these things? and were really positive? and didn't attack? and read what I wrote before responding -- Its just disheartening is what I was saying like it wasn't what I was saying -- I was just having fun with it -- and feel I keep having to defend myself so people don't keep writing things over and over like without just letting it be the fun it was intended to be? I really fully regret writing a lighthearted thread. this is crazy. like up above I wrote it was from an injury-- and its not just the post I wrote in that one post. so that isn't even in regards to what I wrote. Just please no more negativity or back and forth. I don't want to end up negative from this. I just want this and all this site to be a positive thing and something I enjoy. I just don't think this should be -- like the above post was not at all what I was saying. I don't even understand where that came from. I purposely explained so there didn't need to be anymore negativity to thats wrong or any of that -- just light hearted. I just don't understand -- its really for fun -- and just to see if it works. like its not a big deal. but I didn't say you can't write opposing views. I just said I don't understand all the negativity? its all being taken out of context. and thats really bothersome too. Im not even writing this at all attackful or anything so if any of this was read that way - Im sorry - it never was written that way. so I'm sorry if any of that came across in that manner. but Im just not going to respond any further to being attacked. its just not ok.
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I like onions with bell peppers and some fajitas seasoning!
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Onions are good for you, and in general eating a lot of fruits and vegetables is good for you too. They have all kinds of benefits. Here's a website I like that has compiled a lot of medical research about different healthy foods.
    http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

I don't really like it when the media pick out one single food and suggest that's what everyone needs to be eating, or when they describe foods as medicinal. Healthy foods decrease health risks, especially if you consume them regularly over time. But they're not medicine. Except for a couple of nutritional deficiencies like scurvy, health problems don't quickly get better just because you ate some vegetables or fruit for a few days or weeks.

To answer your original question, onions are a great addition to all kinds of foods, and very versatile. They're good with eggs, with other vegetables, with meats, in soups, and many other ways. There are probably millions of recipes out there - just pick some you like.
  • Hellobeautifuls
    Options
    thanks guys!