Hey Guys!! Onions Question! :) Please help!! lol!

Options

Replies

• Hellobeautifuls
    Hellobeautifuls Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    (and for the site, too) lol I hit return before I could write that! lol!
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    yeah i eat onions often with bell peppers, love them sauteed mixed in with eggs, salads, tuna, etc.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Onion extract is used in a gel for scar revision and reduction so they are a useful plant.
    Insofar as eating onions, they don't really anti-age you at all but they are delicious. I like putting them in an omelet, spagettit sauce, in chicken
    wraps, etc.

[Edited by MFP Staff]
  • Hellobeautifuls
    Options
    lol - its ok. I get what they are saying I guess. I didnt at first. but maybe my wording was off, you know? and its not really aging -- I don't really look my age so my stress about that isn't surreal so maybe it came across in the wrong way? I was just stressed for awhile and it'll go back to normal but just thought id have fun reading about it and seeing what happens with my skins appearance even. but still I just got into reading it and thought it would be fun and read they are healthy and thought Id start reading more -- I just didn't know it would be so upsetting and its fun to read about, you know? but thanks! that was really nice of you! and I didn't know that about scars... Ill have to check that out because I have one thats super bothersome now! thanks so much! and yeah someone said a sandwich so the wrap idea probably would be good for tonight -- thanks so much! I don't think I've had any on spaghetti! I bet thats really good! or with chopped tomato and onion and chicken and a dash of olive oil-- this is awesome!! even just to eat!! haha! :):) thanks so much!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Onions are a staple food for me. I use onions in a lot of recipes. I might add them to salads or sandwiches. I don't usually just snack on an onion though.
    My father used to make onion sandwiches with bread, sliced raw onion and butter.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    How do you intend to show that it was increased consumption of onions that helped you age less (in a month)?
  • Hellobeautifuls
    Options
    salads is a good idea!! I had them in a wrap - and with some pasta and chicken and tomatoes and all - that was pretty good I had to try that! and -- I just thought I'd see how I feel - if it made a difference or if it made my skin glow at all - difference in the tone - a difference in the appearance at all. any of it. like when you get sleep after a week of not getting it? you can notice a difference? or like drinking water? if you drink more water after a period of time your skin can get better - healthier looking because its been dehydrated . I wouldn't eat a ton of onion normally - nor would it last because it would be a bunch then gone but I might add it to my diet more so. but il see if I notice a diff. its more for fun :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't wish to get into the aging debate (I think food does affect us, but it's cumulative and not ingredient-specific), but yesterday I had a dish that reminded me of this thread.

Here is something close to what I had:
    http://globaltableadventure.com/recipe/musakhan/

If you have access to sumac, it's what makes the dish what it is.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    The media thrives on choosing "magic" foods and foods that kill us. Eating healthy is more than just choosing to eat or avoid those few foods. An excellent site for finding out what a healthy diet should look like is https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/ It's from the Harvard School of Public Health and is constantly being updated with the latest knowledge. For an easy way to "eyeball" a healthy diet look at their Healthy Eating Plate. https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I love onions so they become a staple in most of my meat foods. Today, onions are with my bacon and eggs, as well as tuna salad. Most of the time I sautee onions with other veggies, hen eat those veggies with a meat.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I make a mean mushroom and onion risotto. Truly the stuff of gods, but no anti-aging benefits in every forkful, unless you consider that eating something so delicious makes you happy thereby reducing stress levels. :)
  • CaseyGabi
    CaseyGabi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I put onions in EVERYTHING! I sautéed them with meats and peppers. I put them in my omelets. Steamed them with my vegetables. Salute them with garlic then throw them on some meat! It's delicious!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am fascinated with the chemical changes in onions when they are slow roasted. Those long chains get broken down in to sugars and sharp goes to sweet. My favourite way to have onions these days is in a curry with butternut squash and lentils.
  • Hellobeautifuls
    Options
    I know balanced diets - thanks! I've been to nutritionists when younger - have a big interest - do things just for fun - and have taken classes- gone to lectures... but just have fun sometimes. I am just asking a question - but thanks for looking out - just want to say that so no one else thinks I don't have knowledge of eating heathy -- but do enjoy the extra information on eating healthy and all - but still need to be wary of internet sites. thanks, guys :) thought I'd put that out there. and thanks for looking out -- genuinely - thats super sweet <3 but the extra information on health isn't NOT NEEDED -- totally welcome in fact <3 thanks !! :):) #HappyWeekend!! Hope y'all are having fun! =0)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't wish to get into the aging debate (I think food does affect us, but it's cumulative and not ingredient-specific), but yesterday I had a dish that reminded me of this thread.

There is a falafel place in my office building that serves a salad of onions and sumac and it's delicious!
  • Carl_Carlson
    Carl_Carlson Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    So I read that Onions were awesome for aging - which is so great because Ive been quite stressed fora bit so I need to undo this stress damage super fast before getting back to normal -- but do you guys know anything to put on the onions? I use ketchup, but I want something plain because its an added- not something Im normally eating and I don't want the DDED SUGAR. BUT I HAVE TO EAT LIKE A HANDFUL OF CHOPPED ONION A DAY - AND HOPING TO FOR ABOUT A MONTH. so keep that in mind! lol -- hopefully a few ways will help -- and staying away from sodium - like chicken broth... maybe something to counteract the taste which I suppose lemon would be horrific - but something along that line! Please help!! Thank you!!

Does the claim require that the onions be eaten raw? If not, grilling them allows you to put them on top of just about any main course item. Try caramelising 2 medium onions with some fresh garlic and making a soup with a can of vegetable broth and a palm full of barley and a dash of red pepper flakes.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

There is a falafel place in my office building that serves a salad of onions and sumac and it's delicious!

Oh yes! We make this salad as a side for barbecue, and since I don't eat meat, my meal ends up consisting of several delicious sides. Sumac has a lemony flavor that goes really well with onions, fresh or cooked, and it's also nice as a garnish for hummus and in chickpea salads. One of my favorite spices.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have eaten onions my whole life pretty regularly and it never gave me awesome skin. If that is your only reason for wanting to eat more onion I doubt you will see any changes. You'd probably see more change with a variety of vegetables consumed.
    Here is a nice summer recipe- http://www.food.com/recipe/cucumber-and-onion-salad-182382?soc=socialsharingpinterest
  • Hellobeautifuls
    Options
    So I read that Onions were awesome for aging - which is so great because Ive been quite stressed fora bit so I need to undo this stress damage super fast before getting back to normal -- but do you guys know anything to put on the onions? I use ketchup, but I want something plain because its an added- not something Im normally eating and I don't want the DDED SUGAR. BUT I HAVE TO EAT LIKE A HANDFUL OF CHOPPED ONION A DAY - AND HOPING TO FOR ABOUT A MONTH. so keep that in mind! lol -- hopefully a few ways will help -- and staying away from sodium - like chicken broth... maybe something to counteract the taste which I suppose lemon would be horrific - but something along that line! Please help!! Thank you!!

Does the claim require that the onions be eaten raw? If not, grilling them allows you to put them on top of just about any main course item. Try caramelising 2 medium onions with some fresh garlic and making a soup with a can of vegetable broth and a palm full of barley and a dash of red pepper flakes.

no! its just onion! lol!! and I'm just enjoying the recipes at this point! lol! because onion is actually quote good! I just don't like eating it that often normally! and this was more for fun - so it can be eaten any way -- I just wanted it more as an additive so like as little extras as possible... but have really liked the recipes! lol! so thank you! ill add this to my growing cookbook! #OnionSection :0) and love garlic, too. so this sounds very good! thanks :)