To meet 200 grams protein per day can a man eat only whey protien?

Options
2»

Replies

• jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    @sgt1372

This guy sounds like he knows his stuff, Id listen to him haha
  • MontyMuttland
    MontyMuttland Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    There are lots of very vocal and nonetheless well-intentioned people on MPF who will happily give nutritional advice that is sadly not backed up by scientific fact, Hearsay, myth and pseudoscience prevail in the face of logic and fact.
    People who quote facts in forum topics are often shouted down by those same well-intentioned people, if those facts don't happen to be in line with what they believe.
    Protein consumption is one subject where there is a lot of difference of opinion.
    However, no matter what individuals believe and how unique each person is, we are all governed by the same biology and metabolism works the same way for everyone.
    Eating a diet (by diet I mean "what you eat and drink" rather than "a weight-loss plan") that is high in protein is not detrimental in any way and is in fact beneficial in many ways.
    The key thing is that protein provides the body with the materials needed for daily repair as well as enhancing muscle mass. You need that regular supply of fresh protein to maintain your body as it cannot be stored for future use.
    Maintaining the body is critical to anyone restricting their calorie intake, as it's fat you want to lose, not lean muscle.
    Cutting calories means consuming less food. Consuming less food means less nutrients are going in, so it's even more important to ensure that what you consume contains enough nutrition of the right kind.
    Many people on a weight-loss programme also include exercise in their routine. It burns more calories which of course is excellent if you're already in deficit from reduced food intake because those extra calories will be produced from burning fat supplies in the body.
    However, exercise comes at a cost to the body, wear-and-tear if you like. After exercise your body needs extra maintenance, muscles need repairing and upgrading, your organs need an overhaul from getting worked harder.
    Protein provides the building materials needed for all of that.
    In addition, protein-rich foods keep you feeling fuller for longer, making it ideal for anyone on a restricted calorie diet where you're eating less and therefore prone to feeling hungry.
    Does any of it actually work in practice?
    Yes.
    In my own example I lost 9 stone during 2016 on a high-protein but calorie-restricted diet.
    I went from being a morbidly obese fat man to a normal healthy weight.
    A whole year to achieve it might sound like a lot, but it averages at close to 2.5lb weight loss per week, which most people would be pretty happy with.
    The OP of this topic wants 200g of protein a day, that sounds about right to me.
    It was 180g for me (and it still is now that I'm in maintenance).
    I supplemented a lot with whey protein (and still do), with up to 75% of my daily protein intake being of whey origin.
    The rest would be mainly from fish, chicken, beef and pork.
    I now maintain at a healthy weight that I last saw when I was in my early twenties (I'm 48 now) and enjoy a fit and active lifestyle that I'd forgotten existed.
    I attribute a lot of the success in achieving this to adopting a protein-rich diet.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Jockamo319 wrote: »
    Last year (2016) I reviewed some research that concluded muscle protein synthesis was maximised on only 40g of protein daily, provided 4 grams of leucine were included in the diet. While the other 160g would be harmless it is also expensive. I suspect the figure of 200g is usually recommended because that dosage would contain about 4 g of leucine (MOL). I'll try to dig out the paper and list the reference for it here.

I'm curious to see that link. I've seen an article by Layne Norton PhD talking about approximately 40g of protein being sufficient to reach the leucine threshold for maximal stimulation, but that was for a given meal, not per day.

It's going to vary by source of protein; 25-30g for Whey, 30-40g for beef/egg protein, 50g for plant based sources. Layne Norton has a video on this and I will see if I can find it. Might be the one on how much a body can absorb.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    ocrXfitter wrote: »
    I don't think it's a dig on high protein diets, it's a dig on only ingesting protein via a supplement.

You apparently haven't seen and read all of the "you don't need THAT much protein" comments on MFP that I've seen and read.

Such comments are not just limited to protein via supplements; they are opposed to the idea of what the commenters consider "excessive protein" (however they define it) from whatever source -- natural or otherwise.

IMO, I am not sure if people hate on high protein or look to define the difference between need and want. I can't recall many, if any studies that demonstrate a benefit from consuming more than 1g per lb (and more often showing a range from 1.5g -2.2g/kg - ~.68g-1g/lb)... but if someone find does it for preference or compliance, it's a different study. Personally, I aim for 150g+ (175lb around 15%), but there are days I get over 200.

I do think, if there is any hate, it's related to the bro-stigma tat you must eat 1.5-2g per lb of your bw or that one must follow 40/40/20. This is part of the reason we have so many threads about worrying about getting all of this protein.

Whether or not the OP needs that much protein is going to depend on a lot of factors of which he has not told us anything.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    atjays wrote: »
    I think OP is asking if the only way to hit 200g daily is through supplementation. Which simply is "no". I don't need 200g for my height and weight but I can easily hit 170g through dairy and meat products eating at a calorie deficit. One meal alone I have 85g of protein through 12 oz of chicken. Another 50g+ with greek yogurt and egg whites. And that's maybe only half my calories for the day. Easy enough to see you could go light on protein the rest of the day and still make your goals.

not how I read it - since the OP said - can a man eat only whey protien
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    but why?

Yeah, why is there such a prejudice against so-called "HIGH PROTEIN" diets on MFP?

Fact is, a high protein diet can be effective if your objective is to lose weight and increase or maintain strength and LBM.

200G of protein for an averaged size man like me at 160#, which is equal to 1.25g/#BW on a 2000 cal/day diet, is not excessive by any means and the heavier & bigger you are, the lower that ratio becomes.

Protein is digested just like carbs and fat but only it can be used to increase or maintain muscle development. Protein also requires more energy to digest than carbs and fat and tends to reduce hunger and appetite, which contributes to weight loss.

I don't think it's a dig on high protein diets, it's a dig on only ingesting protein via a supplement.

This was my original question- and not really even a dig- just curious.

You apparently haven't seen and read all of the "you don't need THAT much protein" comments on MFP that I've seen and read.

Such comments are not just limited to protein via supplements; they are opposed to the idea of what the commenters consider "excessive protein" (however they define it) from whatever source -- natural or otherwise.

I fall somewhere in the middle.
    I have nothing against high protein diets. I am for high protein (well "higher"- I'm generally woefully short)- but I was actually really curious as to "why" consuming only protein from whey- that seems highly unsatisfactory- and expensive- and not efficient.

I mean- I really like eating my protein- but I have to be honest- I'm a steak/meat junkie- so the more the merrier. The idea of consuming THAT much protein ONLY in the form of whey just seems odd.

In a more global world- I think people get really hung up on the minutia and miss the forest because of the trees.

150 grams of protein means nothing if the rest of your diet/world isn't balanced. Which is what @SideSteel says in this "guide to sexy pants" thread- and I think it's spot on.

The "quick" down and dirty advice I typically get is "aim for anything over 100"- (this is typically directed at women)why 100? because most people have to go a LITTLE out of their way to hit it- and gets them more than they normally eat... and brings attention to it- w/o feeling like they are constantly failing for not reaching 150.

And if you slice it 1 gram per lean mass- or 0.8 per pound- it is almost always very close- within 20-30 grams.

So if you aim for over 100- it puts you in a good ball park. Most people can get away with that- the longer you trainer -and the more specific/specified you get- the more important dialing that in becomes. But for the vast majority of people just trying to live a better life- over 100 is a damn good start.
  • MrsChasteen
    MrsChasteen Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yes you can do it. Your body will still use whey protein just like any other protein source.

Should you do it? I would never dare. Variety of foods is always advised in any healthy lifestyle plus a large percent of your food will be from suppliments. Personally I have had 3 to 5 scoops of protein on a desperate day, but it's not my fav. Protein suppliments don't make me as full as real food and some people have tummy trouble from drinking too much protein.

I would also advise getting the most natural brand of protein you can if you are going to be doing multiple scoops a day. Try Isopure or Naked brand. Also you can have more variety at night by drinking Casein before bed. I prefer the casein at night beacause it makes me so full and I don't ever feel ravenous in the mornings. ALSO KEEP IN MIND THAT YOUR BODY CAN ONLY ABSORB APPR. 44 GRAMS OF PROTEIN AT A TIME....I'm no expert, but I have been gievn this advice multiple times. I generally don't drink more than 1.75 scoops in a sitting for this reason.

If you really want at least 200 of protein a day it is super doable with real food. I do it almost daily. I consume about 1700 to 2000 cal a day with a goal of 25c/40p/35f and I am a WOMAN....GASP(noticed you specified "man" in post ;) I would advise you to add friends and creep on people's diaries that consume a high protein diet or balance macros. Also hunt Pinterest,Bodybuilding.com, Instagram, etc. for ideas.This is what I did until I could get enough ideas for sneaking in protein throughout the day.

My protein staples in random order are:
    -Eggs (whole & lots of whites) I eat them every day for breakfast. Buy them bulk like 5dz.
    -Cheese (low fat and reg) I use sliced cheese and grated feta often. I prefer sliced because it is already measured.
    -Triple 0 yogurt from Chiobani and plain Greek yogurt.
    -Luncheon meat as snacks or in salad.
    -Lean meat at every meal. My fav are fish, shrimp, steak, and ground meat (I use a mix of 97 lean beef cooked with 98 lean turkey in stir fry, spaghetti sauce, taco meat, dirty rice).
    -Sneak in protein every chance. If you eat carbs buy Protein Up Wraps, Joseph Bread Wraps, protein added sandwhich bread, and protein powder pancake and waffles. Also keep things like protein bars(20g at least) as staples.
    -Drink Protein Suppliments after working out and be sure to space out scoops. My favorite is Isopure in Natural Vanilla. Consider Casein at night.
    -If I am going to eat a dessert or junk food I try to keep foods in the house that still have a touch of protein like Halo Top ice crean and Lenny & Larry's Cookies.
    -Weigh and track EVERYTHING! You will be suprised how many carbs and fats help you achieve your protein goal. Milk, cheese, yogurt, and nuts round out protein goals nicely.

Good luck.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Yes you can do it. Your body will still use whey protein just like any other protein source.

Should you do it? I would never dare. Variety of foods is always advised in any healthy lifestyle plus a large percent of your food will be from suppliments. Personally I have had 3 to 5 scoops of protein on a desperate day, but it's not my fav. Protein suppliments don't make me as full as real food and some people have tummy trouble from drinking too much protein.

I would also advise getting the most natural brand of protein you can if you are going to be doing multiple scoops a day. Try Isopure or Naked brand. Also you can have more variety at night by drinking Casein before bed. I prefer the casein at night beacause it makes me so full and I don't ever feel ravenous in the mornings. ALSO KEEP IN MIND THAT YOUR BODY CAN ONLY ABSORB APPR. 44 GRAMS OF PROTEIN AT A TIME....I'm no expert, but I have been gievn this advice multiple times. I generally don't drink more than 1.75 scoops in a sitting for this reason.

If you really want at least 200 of protein a day it is super doable with real food. I do it almost daily. I consume about 1700 to 2000 cal a day with a goal of 25c/40p/35f and I am a WOMAN....GASP(noticed you specified "man" in post ;) I would advise you to add friends and creep on people's diaries that consume a high protein diet or balance macros. Also hunt Pinterest,Bodybuilding.com, Instagram, etc. for ideas.This is what I did until I could get enough ideas for sneaking in protein throughout the day.

My protein staples in random order are:
    -Eggs (whole & lots of whites) I eat them every day for breakfast. Buy them bulk like 5dz.
    -Cheese (low fat and reg) I use sliced cheese and grated feta often. I prefer sliced because it is already measured.
    -Triple 0 yogurt from Chiobani and plain Greek yogurt.
    -Luncheon meat as snacks or in salad.
    -Lean meat at every meal. My fav are fish, shrimp, steak, and ground meat (I use a mix of 97 lean beef cooked with 98 lean turkey in stir fry, spaghetti sauce, taco meat, dirty rice).
    -Sneak in protein every chance. If you eat carbs buy Protein Up Wraps, Joseph Bread Wraps, protein added sandwhich bread, and protein powder pancake and waffles. Also keep things like protein bars(20g at least) as staples.
    -Drink Protein Suppliments after working out and be sure to space out scoops. My favorite is Isopure in Natural Vanilla. Consider Casein at night.
    -If I am going to eat a dessert or junk food I try to keep foods in the house that still have a touch of protein like Halo Top ice crean and Lenny & Larry's Cookies.
    -Weigh and track EVERYTHING! You will be suprised how many carbs and fats help you achieve your protein goal. Milk, cheese, yogurt, and nuts round out protein goals nicely.

Good luck.

Your body can absorb any amount of protein that you consume, but what it does is delay the digestion. Also, whey is whey, regardless of the marketing hype by companies. So there wouldn't be a difference (excluding flavoring and potential fillers) between brands like Naked vs ON vs Pure Protein, etc.. But you can make the distinction.

Below is Dr. Layne Norton's explanation on protein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTF9YR6BU9k