Better Instant Oatmeal?

Options
13»

Replies

• Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    As an aside my co-worker mentioned that all old people eat is oats and I roared with laughter. So true. I have four kinds at home. She was genuinely bewildered. There are that many kinds?

I have several varieties of plain oatmeal at home because my 5 year old loves it and her favorite breakfast is a boiled egg and oatmeal with raisins and honey. It's her "old lady" breakfast.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I get old fashioned oats. All that other stuff is loaded with sugar and carbs. Totally defeats the purpose of eating oatmeal. I'll make mine with almond milk and add some blueberries. It's really good.

umm sugar is a carb and carbs are sugar,oats are carbs. you mean added sugar?

ummmm yes. were you not able to figure that out on your own? sheesh.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I get old fashioned oats. All that other stuff is loaded with sugar and carbs. Totally defeats the purpose of eating oatmeal. I'll make mine with almond milk and add some blueberries. It's really good.

yes,actually I did thanks for noticing
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

But a "carb loaded" oatmeal doesn't defeat the purpose of eating oatmeal, it *is* the purpose of eating oatmeal. Oatmeal, even before anything is added to it, is a bit of fat, a little bit more of protein, and the rest is all carbohydrates.
  • chelllsea124
    Options

But a "carb loaded" oatmeal doesn't defeat the purpose of eating oatmeal, it *is* the purpose of eating oatmeal. Oatmeal, even before anything is added to it, is a bit of fat, a little bit more of protein, and the rest is all carbohydrates.

i was referring mainly to all the extra sugar in instant oatmeal. I'm sorry my lack of better explanation is confusing you all so much. I retract my initial statement.

I DO NOT eat instant flavored oatmeals because there is so much ADDED sugar. That within itself, IN MY OPINION, defeats the purpose of having a healthier oatmeal.

I hope you all have a wonderful day. So sorry for all of the confusion.
  • chelllsea124
    Options
    Furthermore, I do not mind eating carbs, but as another poster said, sugar turns to carbs. I do not want any additional carbs because of this reason. :s
  • KelBgess
    KelBgess Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Have you tried overnight oats? I eat them cold and they're more like dessert than breakfast, IMO. I have created several recipes, including PB and chocolate. The basic recipe is 1 cup oats (I use Bob's Redmill 5 grain and buy in bulk), 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 container high protein greek yogurt (I use vanilla for added flavor and sweetness), 1 tbsp ground flax, 1 tbsp chia seeds. Mix and refrigerate overnight or at least five hours. This makes three servings for me. I add other spices depending on the flavors I'm looking for. One of my new faves is to add .5 tsp of ground cardamom, .5 tsp cinnamon, one diced mandarin orange and 2 tbsp sliced almonds. The average calories is 250 with over 20 grams of protein when using high protein greek yogurt. I'm happy to share other recipes if you'd like. (tip - don't split into servings until the mix has come together)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Furthermore, I do not mind eating carbs, but as another poster said, sugar turns to carbs. I do not want any additional carbs because of this reason. :s

Just for clarification -- sugar doesn't turn into carbohydrates, it's already a carbohydrate.
  • chelllsea124
    Options
    KelBgess wrote: »
    Have you tried overnight oats? I eat them cold and they're more like dessert than breakfast, IMO. I have created several recipes, including PB and chocolate. The basic recipe is 1 cup oats (I use Bob's Redmill 5 grain and buy in bulk), 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 container high protein greek yogurt (I use vanilla for added flavor and sweetness), 1 tbsp ground flax, 1 tbsp chia seeds. Mix and refrigerate overnight or at least five hours. This makes three servings for me. I add other spices depending on the flavors I'm looking for. One of my new faves is to add .5 tsp of ground cardamom, .5 tsp cinnamon, one diced mandarin orange and 2 tbsp sliced almonds. The average calories is 250 with over 20 grams of protein when using high protein greek yogurt. I'm happy to share other recipes if you'd like. (tip - don't split into servings until the mix has come together)

I do this exact same thing, except I use PB2 and I love it!!!

How long can overnight oats sit?
  • chelllsea124
    Options

Just for clarification -- sugar doesn't turn into carbohydrates, it's already a carbohydrate.

Thank you for clarification. In my defense, I did not have coffee this morning. ;)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Why instant? I put 1/4 cup regular quaker oats in a bowl, a pinch of salt and add 1/2 cup almond milk. Microwave 3 min. (My Micro is the smaller low power version). I take it out and add 1 Tablespoon chia seeds with 1/3 cup walnuts and stir. Back in for 2 1/2 min. While it is cooking I slice 1/2 cup of strawberries to combine with a handful of blueberries and blackberries. Add berries and eat, takes about six minutes.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Make up snack size mason jars with overnight oats on a Sunday and eat them for the weekdays. So I'd say the overnight oats can continue to marinate in the yogurt goodness for at least five days. I like putting frozen blueberries in with the yogurt and the oatmeal.
  • acopeland321
    acopeland321 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use regular oats, they can still he microwaved, but they are unsweeted. I usually add a tablespoon of unsweetened peanut butter and it makes it filling and tasty. No added sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

i was referring mainly to all the extra sugar in instant oatmeal. I'm sorry my lack of better explanation is confusing you all so much. I retract my initial statement.

I'm sorry to keep disagreeing, but the point I was trying to make before is that instant oatmeal is oats that are just cut up smaller to be able to cook more quickly. There is nothing about oatmeal being "instant" or "quick cooking" that means that it has anything added. McCann's and Bob's Red Mill are some examples of plain instant steel cuts that you can find, for example (McCann's also has flavored varieties, but there is a plain, and that's what I see more often in the US).

As with non instant oats, of course, they ARE high carb, but no more so.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    2wise4u wrote: »
    I like old fashioned Quaker Oats. They cook up in about 1 1/2 minutes in the microwave and I add milk and sugar. Mmmmm delicious!

Same here - drizzle with a bit of honey and sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg. It's one of my staple meals.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Minute oats cook up in the microwave in three minutes. Do you need it faster than that?

I cook mine for 90 seconds. Can't get much more "instant" than that.