How's your book?

Options

Replies

• Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    It's great! He really did like the green eggs and ham after all.... I'm still shocked.
  • Runninjustincase
    Runninjustincase Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Currently The Body Keeps The Score and it's really good
  • amyn73
    amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. Pretty good.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    angelxsss wrote: »
    I just read Quiet by Susan Cain, which is fantastic and please all introverts read it.

I read Quiet, and it's great for introverts to understand their value in a society obsessed with extroversion. I recommend it as a read for everyone--not just introverts--because for how many people call themselves "introverts", so many "extroverts" don't understand them. And for that reason, understandably so, many introverts (in America at least) grow up feeling misunderstood.

In an extroversion-biased society, introverts should strive to be more "ambiverted". I also recommend that those who read Quiet also read the great book that Susan Cain bashes early on in Quiet, Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People.
  • BrendanMcGroarty
    BrendanMcGroarty Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    The book I'm about to finish is Flatland by a Shakespearean scholar, Edwin Abbott. Written in 1880, it was originally a satire about Victorian England, and as far as that goes, it's pretty good. However, theoretical physicists often reference it to try to explain what the fifth dimension would be. The great movie Interstellar makes a few references to it as well. It is only 81 pages. Well worth it if you are interested in theoretical physics, history of 19th c England, or the importance of a classical education. Or satire.
  • captainfantastic94
    captainfantastic94 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    amyn73 wrote: »
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. Pretty good.

I love this series
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Am about 76% (thanks Kindle) through Les Miserables.

This is without a doubt the hardest book I have ever had to get through! (cannot leave a book unfinished)
    It has moments of brilliance, then just ramblings. Overall I have enjoyed it, but I doubt I will re-read it.

Loved Phantom though.
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    The Life Changing Magic of Not Giving a *kitten* was just sort of 'meh.' Lots of questionable language and basically lots of encouragement to decline invitations to things that most people go to out of politeness.
    I just finished "a man called ove" and it was great
    I've just started this one now. It's sort of annoying me how he keeps repeating the same gripes over and over but we'll see how it goes.
  • captainfantastic94
    Options
    The Life Changing Magic of Not Giving a *kitten* was just sort of 'meh.' Lots of questionable language and basically lots of encouragement to decline invitations to things that most people go to out of politeness.
    I've just started this one now. It's sort of annoying me how he keeps repeating the same gripes over and over but we'll see how it goes.

Keep on with it, its heart warming and great,
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If you like heart warming try My One Square Inch of Alaska.
  • Sierra_Christine97
    Sierra_Christine97 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm reading The Shack right now, it's eye-opening!
  • iamunicoon
    iamunicoon Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Finally bought the last Flavia de Luce book by Alan Bradley and man, I've missed that kid!
  • BklynEibhlin
    BklynEibhlin Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I just started reading Beartown. My cousin recommended it when she was only about 3 chapters in, so I'm glad I'll have someone else to talk to about it because I already feel like I'm emotionally invested, haha! From what I understand, it's very different from A Man Called Ove, but I enjoy his writing enough that I'll be adding that to my list as well. Oddly enough, the repetition of "hockey town, fallen on hard times" made me put the book down a few times in the first few chapters, but it gets better.

• RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Options
    Reading Lauren Kate's Fallen series. Not too shabby.
  • captainfantastic94
    Options
    I just started reading Beartown. My cousin recommended it when she was only about 3 chapters in, so I'm glad I'll have someone else to talk to about it because I already feel like I'm emotionally invested, haha! From what I understand, it's very different from A Man Called Ove, but I enjoy his writing enough that I'll be adding that to my list as well. Oddly enough, the repetition of "hockey town, fallen on hard times" made me put the book down a few times in the first few chapters, but it gets better.

It IS very different! I have not finished that one but it takes itself more seriously and i am excited to hear a new voice from him!!

Currently i am reading "generation one" by pittacus lore, the first book in the second series of i am number four
  • BrendanMcGroarty
    BrendanMcGroarty Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I'm reading The Shack right now, it's eye-opening!

That was really good. Kind of disappointing in that I thought the central ideas could have been developed much more, but just the concept makes it s great book.
  • captainfantastic94
    Options
    Melmel0116 wrote: »

It IS very different! I have not finished that one but it takes itself more seriously and i am excited to hear a new voice from him!!

Currently i am reading "generation one" by pittacus lore, the first book in the second series of i am number four

Theres a second series??
    I was so emotionally invested in the first one.

It picks up with the earth garde, so far so good
  • HooperDrivesTheBoatChief
    Options
    in34rf562dwb.jpg

Pretty good
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Just finished "Stick With It" last week (all about the science of habit change)... it was so helpful I'm planning to read it again in another month or so. Before that it was "In Wilderness"... fantastic piece of fiction, unlike anything I've read before.