Where Does All the Misinformation Come From?

Options

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Science changes as new research emerges and new facts discovered. Einstein disproved some of Newton's theories. Pluto is no longer a planet. But by and large the worst information comes from companies trying to sell something. We laugh at the old time snake oil sales men going from town to town selling cocaine laced cough syrup but go out and buy the newest "magic" weight loss pill.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    99% of misinformation comes from the bodybuilding.com message boards. Then it takes a decade to figure out which ones are real or not. For a long time multiple small meals and fasted state cardio were dogma.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Money. And agendas. Also it seems like people have a tendency to believe that because a certain something worked for them (like eating 6 small meals a day, or cutting out carbs, or whatever) that it is the ONLY thing that works.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Science changes as new research emerges and new facts discovered. Einstein disproved some of Newton's theories. Pluto is no longer a planet. But by and large the worst information comes from companies trying to sell something. We laugh at the old time snake oil sales men going from town to town selling cocaine laced cough syrup but go out and buy the newest "magic" weight loss pill.

I thought it was, again.

https://futurism.com/pluto-reclassified-as-a-major-planet/
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Also, many people want a quick fix. It didn't take only a month to gain the weight I'm now trying to lose, and it would be unrealistic of me to believe I can lose that weight in that amount of time. When I began to lose weight, people would ask what/how I did it. I would say by simply counting calories and getting more exercise. Nobody wanted to hear that tho (because as another user mentioned, it's boring and not sexy), and I'd get follow-ups like "Surely you're cutting out bread and pasta, not eating after 5pm, taking raspberry ketones, on diet pills, etc???" Nope, just calories in/calories out, and my progress has been very 'slow and steady'. Their eyes would start to glaze over, lol.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I just saw NdT speak again last month.
    Pluto is still a "dwarf planet" not one of the eight "major planets."

Check the date of the article:
    "Say it with me now, “Yay!” …also, have a happy April Fool’s."

{Not sure if you were joking or being facetious...}

"Pluto is a dwarf planet. A dwarf planet travels around, or orbits, the sun just like other planets. But it is much smaller." -- NASA

See how easy it is to forget about critical thinking and fall for confirmation bias?
    Misinformation...
  • cqbkaju
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Pluto is no longer a planet.

Neil Degrasse Tyson is a jerk! Pluto will always be a planet to me, I dont care what anyone says!
    LOL! Some of the letters he got from grade school kids were hilarious.
  • cqbkaju
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Pupslice wrote: »
    Nope, just calories in/calories out, and my progress has been very 'slow and steady'. Their eyes would start to glaze over, lol.
    They want a quick, easy fix.
    The allure of continuing to make bad choices while merely taking a magic pill.

• Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Instant gratification, everyone wants it. Patience, hard work...things I don't see too often in people.

In down 90lbs and I have no secrets. No pills, no fasting, no cleanses, no low carb just simple math and hard work.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    I just saw NdT speak again last month.
    Pluto is still a "dwarf planet" not one of the eight "major planets."

Check the date of the article:
    "Say it with me now, “Yay!” …also, have a happy April Fool’s."

{Not sure if you were joking or being facetious...}

"Pluto is a dwarf planet. A dwarf planet travels around, or orbits, the sun just like other planets. But it is much smaller." -- NASA

See how easy it is to forget about critical thinking and fall for confirmation bias?
    Misinformation...

All I heard was "Pluto is a planet." Good enough for me. :p
  • cqbkaju
    Options
    All I heard was "Pluto is a planet." Good enough for me. :p
    LOL. Fair enough. Live like you wanna live.

• JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Well, a few months ago the science team of the New Horizons mission did propose a new definition of planet that would include Pluto, but then the Solar System would have hundreds of planets under this definition. The IAU hasn't taken any kind of action on the proposal though, and AFAIK it hasn't even been formally presented to them. I assumed you were thinking of that.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I blame Google. Seriously, how many posts do we see that give some really bad information followed by "just Google it, you'll see it's true"?
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    From that infographic, I would be wondering why the journal's peer-review group didn't do a better job of vetting the submission.

@rainbowbow I love how the menu very carefully specifies that the lettuce leaves MUST be "small." Because if you put four LARGE lettuce leaves in that dinner salad, you'll just keep gaining weight. XD
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    From that infographic, I would be wondering why the journal's peer-review group didn't do a better job of vetting the submission.

@rainbowbow I love how the menu very carefully specifies that the lettuce leaves MUST be "small." Because if you put four LARGE lettuce leaves in that dinner salad, you'll just keep gaining weight. XD

Don't forget your DOMINO sugar! ;)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    All of the above, and I'll add: some bad "word of mouth" advice. For example, someone looks great, someone else asks *how* they lost the weight. They give an imprecise short hand answer like: "I'm doing atkins. I eat all the fat and protein I want and no carbs". Which, of course, isn't Atkins. And hopefully isn't what they're doing if they think they're doing Atkins.
    Or "I lost weight by not eating anything white". WTH?

I just cut my winter weight and I'm trying to get a little lower. A friend of mine asked me what I was doing because I already eat pretty good and exercise regularly. I told them that I just cut back on carbs at dinner on most nights. He said, "that's it...you just don't eat some carbs at night and that's how you lose weight?"

I had to explain to him that there wasn't anything magical about avoiding carbs in the evening but rather, it's just an easy rule for me to follow to put myself in a calorie deficit if everything else remains the same. That and I don't usually drink beer during the week when I'm cutting...but he didn't like that idea very much.

There you go. you were precise with your description! As I knew you would be!