Where Does All the Misinformation Come From?

Options

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    It comes from people selling things. But, it also comes from people wanting magic to be true. It's a hard pill to swallow to say, "you eat too much. So, stop doing that." It's much easier to sell a system that makes it complicated, but if you follow it, it works. A good example is Weight Watchers.

I get a good laugh from weight watchers. I am glad that it works for some people but i just do NOT understand why you would put all that effort into learning a points system instead of just learning the calories.

Because you don't know any better. I tried so many things because I also wanted the magic to be true haha
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    It comes from people trying to sell things or push an agenda.

In general i've seen it go like this:
    Researchers publish a paper about science
    Media Blatantly mis-represents said science
    Companies jump on the bandwagon to capitalize on "science"

Sometimes the first step is "we have a product we want to sell, let's fund some research".
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    All of the above, and I'll add: some bad "word of mouth" advice. For example, someone looks great, someone else asks *how* they lost the weight. They give an imprecise short hand answer like: "I'm doing atkins. I eat all the fat and protein I want and no carbs". Which, of course, isn't Atkins. And hopefully isn't what they're doing if they think they're doing Atkins.
    Or "I lost weight by not eating anything white". WTH?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    It comes from people trying to sell things or push an agenda.

In general i've seen it go like this:
    Researchers publish a paper about science
    Media Blatantly mis-represents said science
    Companies jump on the bandwagon to capitalize on "science"

Sometimes the first step is "we have a product we want to sell, let's fund some research".

That bit sums it up perfectly.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    No, no, no no no, nonononononono, nooooooooooo !!
    There is no such thing as weight by volume.

? Am I missing something? There is such thing as weight per unit volume: it's called density.

Thank you! I was about to lose my mind.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,381 Member
    Options
    probably the same place that "God helps those who help themselves" comes from
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    people
    And the mic drops.

A simple example will do. A book is written and advertised with a title and a blurb. "The Grapefruit Diet", or something like that.
    The advertising casts a wide net and many people see the blurb, but not many people buy the book. It doesn't matter if they do or they don't, because the writer, the buyers, and the non-buyers just make up silliness about living on grapefruits or something like that and the meme takes on a life of it's own. My mother was taken in by this one. She'd solemnly slice a grapefruit and put half of it on a plate. Then she'd sprinkle a tablespoon of sugar on it, then she'd use a spoon to dig the sections out and eat them by the spoonful of sugar helping the medicine go down. No weight loss meme every worked for her because she'd eat her 'stay fat' food, then add her 'lose weight' food on top of that. I remember eating Ayds like candy.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Excuses - you don't want to believe you're fat because you eat too many calories so you make up some ridiculous nonsense about not eating enough (because you're in total denial you're munching through calories like no one's business) or that you're just going crazy with the muscle building... Yeah right - it can't be you're own fault you're fat - it HAS to be something else. We hate being accountable for our own actions - it's so much easier to blame something else.

And I'm using you/you're generally - not referencing OP or anyone else specifically in this thread.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Muscle does weigh more than fat so that one isn't misinformation.

A pound weighs a pound. But by volume, muscle weighs more than fat. Rarely does anyone specify volume in the "muscle weighs more than fat" truism because we figure your smart enough to figure out the obvious.

I'm quite certain the idea of starvation mode comes from people's experience. They cut calories drastically and exercise intensely and they get stuck at the same weight for months at a time. Or they diet and lose weight, then when they try to add back even a tiny bit more calories than their calories, they gain huge amounts of weight very quickly.

No, no, no no no, nonononononono, nooooooooooo !!
    There is no such thing as weight by volume.
    These are two totally different measurements.
    Weight is a measure of how heavy something is.
    Volume is a measure of how much space something takes up.
    They are not the same thing.
    They are not interchangeable.
    A kilo of fat weighs the same as a kilo of muscle and a kilo of feathers, but each of them takes up a different amount of physical space.

However, it's stuff like this where people confidently put forward ideas that are factually incorrect which leads to widespread nonsense getting believed by so many others.
    People cling to notions they like the sound of, regardless of truth.
    But facts remain true whether you like them or not, that's just the way it is!
    If you understand how to "weigh" things, you weigh materials of SAME VOLUME to determine it's WEIGHT DENSITY. That's how science works.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

No, actually you typically don't - there's no need to make sure two materials are the same volume before weighing and it often adds an extra time-consuming step. Imagine trying to excise a precise cubic centimeter (or inch, or whatever) of material from a larger block, especially if the block is irregular in shape. It's not always a simple thing to do.

You weigh a piece of material, you measure it's volume (in any order you choose) and from those you calculate its density.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    A lot of it is the media blowing things out of proportion. A single study suggests something and they report it as fact. Several studies show most people should eat less of <whatever> and they report it as <whatever> is unhealthy with no mention of amount. And people are lazy. They read the headline, maybe even skim the article but make no effort to find out what the actual study said or if it's been confirmed by f/u studies.

Many people believe everything they read regardless of whether the source is credible.