Where Does All the Misinformation Come From?

Options
I mean this as a serious question. There's a lot of misinformation when it comes to food, diet, exercise, etc. I know that I've heard things like 'starvation mode' and how 'muscles weighs more than fat' for years, and there was a point I didn't even question their validity. I simply accepted it as fact. There were the foods you couldn't eat if you wanted to lose weight and the foods you had to eat. There were the specific exercises, etc. I know all this information actually hindered me a lot in the past.

Now, here I am, a little smarter and a little lighter in terms of pounds. I've learned a lot, but I'm just curious. Where does all this misinformation come from? I know the people who used to say things like that probably believe just like I did. So what are the sources? People trying to sell or push specific products, or others simply parroting what they've heard all these years?

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Some of it, over the years, has come from whatever the latest accumulation of knowledge seems to indicate. As science is able to determine more, we come closer to an accurate assessment. For example, in George Washington's time, the limited medical science available said that bleeding a patient would help the patient recover. We know today that was wrong because we have more scientific knowledge than we did 200 years ago.

In the 60s, we were all told to avoid all fats. That turned out to be not quite right. The answer is more complex. We now know that different fats are good and bad. For example, now we should avoid trans-fats altogether, limit our consumption of saturated fats, especially animal-based saturated fats, but consume enough fats, especially mono- and poly-unsaturated fats, for health. As knowledge increases, our assumptions must change.

The trick is to evaluate the information we are given. One way is to find an information source you trust. My favorite is the Harvard School of Public Health's NutritionSource https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

In looking for trustworthy sources, non-profit sources, especially university, government or hospital based sources are more reliable than those that are trying to sell anything, including books. Remember that the popular press is giving you only a snapshot or headline they think will draw you to their magazine, site, or TV station because audience size drives advertising revenue.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It comes from half-truths. People tend to hear what supports what they want vs what is true.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this is devolving so quickly into the 1,342nd "muscle weighs more than fat" argument where everyone is misunderstanding each other anyway. :(

OP, some of the stuff is just old info that has since been misproven but has stuck in people's heads so they keep repeating it.

Some of it is a product of people looking to make money realizing you can't profit much off the truth so they take one old research study, over-dramatize the dubious results, and sell the crap out of it.

Some of it (like "toning") is health & fitness pros finding a term or concept strikes a chord with people and use it to their advantage.

Some of it is internet hoaxes, like lots of the fad crash diets and cleanses.

Some of it is people misunderstanding how the body works, misunderstanding how the scientific process works, and conflating the two into rules or guidelines that sound good at a glance.

Some of it is people desperate for a short cut or quick fix who do something random, accidentally eating less calories because of it but crediting the random thing, and then telling everyone about it.

I'm sure there's more!