Seriously Subway??? Don't trust Jared...

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    The Subway I go to has big giant stickers that say the cal counts of lots of the foods. One sticker even has the low cal sandwiches all grouped together and cal counts listed for each.

Like this...

subway.jpg

If yours doesnt' find one that does. If you can't ask them for the nutrition info pamphlet. If that doesn't work their menu calorie thing might be on their website. If it's not you can look up the individual items on MFP's database before you go. Or you can sometimes find a sandwich similar to yours and then add ingredients/calories to make it like yours or subtract them by finding the item you did NOT include on your sandwich and then typing -1 for the amount. It will post as negative calories.

Now lay off Jared please. He lost a LOT of weight.
  • deedee303z
    deedee303z Posts: 31
    Options
    The Subway sandwiches vary greatly depending on exactly what you choose. I check my options on the website before ordering and have my favorites saved in MFP. Calories can vary between around 250 all the way up to 750 for a 6" sub.

Type of bread makes a difference--the regular white is actually the lower cal option. Cheese adds a lot. So do most condiments. And, of course, what filling you choose--meatball is obviously much higher than grilled chicken breast. Veg--most are pretty innocuous with the exception of avocado which can also up the calories noticeably.

FWIW, I usually do get cheese, however I don't get any condiments (I'm not a fan of most of them anyway). I get lots of veg--except lettuce (I don't like it on sandwiches).
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Subway is horrible..its the worst bread on the planet and their meats are slimy. and the smell..the smell!!!! revolting.

if you want a sandwich visits anywhere else...Jimmy John's, Firehouse, Jersey Mike's or a local deli.

the only thing Subway is good at is marketing.

Really? Well, I for one love Subway (including the smell...the smell!!!!)
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I've been having 6" subway sandwiches for lunch for a couple of weeks now, and I thought they were a healthy, fresh and good choice. I would get cheese and just a little dash of Chipotle sauce... and l always logged them in my diary. I was under the impression that a 6" subway sandwich is about ~450 calories....

However, today I opened up Subway's website and calculated the number of calories that my sandwich had - and boy... was I surprised... each sandwich was actually around ~600 calories.

For one day, it's fine.. but in a week, that results in an extra 1,050 calories that I wasn't aware of... It appears that I was grossly underestimating the calories I was eating. No wonder I wasn't loosing as much weight as I was expecting to...

Yup, a Big-Mac is only 550.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Subway is horrible..its the worst bread on the planet and their meats are slimy. and the smell..the smell!!!! revolting.

if you want a sandwich visits anywhere else...Jimmy John's, Firehouse, Jersey Mike's or a local deli.

the only thing Subway is good at is marketing.
    Jimmy John's is incredibly high in calories if you get their sandwiches as they come. I prefer Jimmy John's, but if I'm close to a calorie limit, and I can get a 6" veggie at Subway for 360 calories (including cheese and light mayo) instead of a Jimmy John's veggie for 700+ calories, I'm going to go with Subway. JJ bread is so d*mn good though!!! :laugh:
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    If you don't trust them for anything it should be because the things going on your sandwich aren't very fresh. I know three people that used to work at Subways (different locations) and was told that they re-label the ingredient bins.
  • onetoughmudder
    Options
    totally Jared's fault
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Wait, you misjudged the calories, but you shouldn't trust Jared. How does that work?

Sounds more like you shouldn't trust you.

Lol this. But I'm actually confused. You said you logged it, but then you said you were surprised it was more than you thought? So maybe you mean you were logging the wrong thing, or was it wrong in MFP? I always double check the calories in MFP for restaurant chains. :flowerforyou:
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I think I found the reason there are warning labels on things like toasters and hair dryers
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    You can't EVER assume all of this or all of that is "about" X calories. Everything on it matters! Seriously, don't make assumptions! A dash of the this and *especially* cheese is going to seriously ramp up the calories. The sandwich I eat at Subway is only 280 calories. It's the sweet onion chicken teriyaki.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Don't just estimate/guess what the calories are in something or you'll never lose weight - you need to actually check - things will really surprise you!

That being said, Subway does have some great options! You can plan out your whole sub prior to going with all of the exact ingredients you want and know exactly how many calories it'll be.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It is not his nor Subway's fault that you didn't do your due diligence.
    pretty much sums it up right here...
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've been having 6" subway sandwiches for lunch for a couple of weeks now, and I thought they were a healthy, fresh and good choice. I would get cheese and just a little dash of Chipotle sauce... and l always logged them in my diary. I was under the impression that a 6" subway sandwich is about ~450 calories....

However, today I opened up Subway's website and calculated the number of calories that my sandwich had - and boy... was I surprised... each sandwich was actually around ~600 calories.

For one day, it's fine.. but in a week, that results in an extra 1,050 calories that I wasn't aware of... It appears that I was grossly underestimating the calories I was eating. No wonder I wasn't loosing as much weight as I was expecting to...

Perhaps you should have researched what the calories were for what you were eating. Thread should be renamed to "Don't trust myself"...
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yeah... he lies....A LOT!!!!!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    If you don't trust them for anything it should be because the things going on your sandwich aren't very fresh. I know three people that used to work at Subways (different locations) and was told that they re-label the ingredient bins.

Interesting...my friend owned a couple of Subways, and they tossed everything on a regular basis. It all depends on the store owner/manager .

And Jared? None of his "favorites" include cheese.
  • thenewpath2me
    Options
    Wow! This person seems to just want to vent and you all are giving them the what for!!! They are just saying it sucks! They know now they screwed up, and I'm pretty sure we've all been there!!
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I don't see how a 600 calorie lunch is a problem.

Depends on what you are eating the rest of the day. I think thats the question.
  • p2smommy
    p2smommy Posts: 64
    Options
    Must be what you are having.. This is directly from subway's site, and what I get..

Subway Club 6" on Wheat W/ No Cheese (Per Website 07/17/13) - Avacado, Bacon (4 slices), Mustard, Tomato, Black Olive, Spinach, Green Pepper, Cucumber, Red Onion, 285 g *6"* 430 calories, 50g Carbs, 14g fat, 27g protein, 1,200g sodium, 8g Fiber.

As many of the PP's said.. All in what you get on your sub... Completely understand that it's confusing sometimes. I've learned to just go to their sites, play around with their menu.. create a sub you can live with (that doesn't make you feel like you are eating sawdust covered cardboard with a dash of pepper), and stick to it.

Better luck next time! :)
  • TheSink
    TheSink Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    WHAT?! Someone should get the government to pass a law requiring all fast food restaurants to put the calories of their food items on the menus!!!! :explode:
  • KaleYeah
    KaleYeah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love Subway, but I only get a Foot long Veggie on wheat, no cheese, no meat, all the veggies except pickles, and only mustard. I come in at about 480 - 500 calories for the entire meal.