Anyone suffer from sugar addiction?

Has anyone ever truly suffered from sugar addiction? How did you recover?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,080 Member
    Nope.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I have a sweet tooth, but i have no addiction problems.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,169 Member
    I have a sweet tooth. I started logging in my food on MFP about a month ago. Just found out that eating a box of Good and Plenty candy wasn't as nutritious as blueberries, cantaloupe, strawberries and apples. So I've switched over to those things instead. They satisfy my sweet tooth, sort of. I plan out my eating so that at the end of the day I have enough calories banked so I can have some chocolate or sugar free pudding with whipped cream if I want to. I think if you're motivated to decrease or eliminate sugar from your life, it can certainly be done!
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    I love sugar and salt. I made a commitment to myself I was going to change me and my thinking this January.

For thirty days straight I worked out to form a habit, now I love it. (I started completely sedentary and hated working out), Part two was eating cleaner. After about two weeks of fighting with myself to cut those items way back I felt a thousand times better and didn't want them as much. I also starting logging at that point realized how ridiculous my eating was and how long it takes to work it off. 8 cookies, 60 minutes of serious hard gym work. No thanks.

I feel they aren't ask exciting anymore. In fact many things are "too salty" or "too sweet". Apples, almonds, carrots, etc do for me what a cookie used to.

I'd be happy to walk you through what I did if you'd like, send me a message.

My best advice: be committed and you'll surprise yourself!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    You are suffering from bad eating habits.

..And lack of willpower. OP I'm not having a go at you, as my willpower sucks when it comes to sweet stuff. Sometimes i win the battle, other times i say F it! It really is mind over matter in the end, AND not buying stuff you know you wont be able to resist. There are certain food items that do not make it in my shopping cart, if it's not in my house i cant eat it, I would much prefer to make my life/diet easier than to sit there fighting with myself and trying to resist or just stopping at one.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    No I don't.

Side note: why post this on numerous boards?
  • mikenmar
    mikenmar Posts: 31 Member
    I don't know about addiction, but I definitely have a sweet tooth. I find that my sweet cravings will go away if I go several days without any substantial amount of processed sugar.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    I have a problem, yeah. I just don't buy or make sugary things. I can't deal with them. I have fruit instead, factoring in calories/portions of course.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    :s
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited June 2017
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10409192/sugar-addicts-withdrawal-support-language-warning-tis-a-side-effect

Here's a thread that was created that turned out to be helpful for some... there may be some members you feel you connect with. It's 2016 but came up with a forum search on sugar addiction withdrawal support @missteena88
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    My issues with sugar were are addiction like. If I have some I crave more. It affects my body and causes energy swings and increased hunger. It hurts my health...

I treated it like an actual addiction. I stopped eating it. I no longer eat added sugars. I also severely limit my carbohydrates, especially grains, starchy root vegetables, and high sugar fruits (well, almost all fruit TBH). Carbohydrates turn into glucose (and fructose) in the body so I limit all of them. They all affect me to a certain degree, so discovering that I don't need to eat carbohydrates was rather freeing. Now I skip most of them, feel much healthier, and don't have to deal with sugar/carb problems.

TBH, not many people around here who claimed they had addiction like issues with sugars were able to moderate them successfully. If sugar is a real problem for you, you may do best to avoid it completely.

Good luck.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited June 2017
    lpina2mi wrote: »

I believe you.

OP asked two questions. How do "believe" a question?
    You're projecting your own beliefs onto OP.
    Here are some starter ideas, since you mentioned the carb thing is a problem for you.

Again, you're projecting. OP said no such thing. OP didn't even mention carbs (which is a larger category than sugar). OP made no declarative statements whatsoever.
    Think of things you can add to your life: a HIIT (high intensity exercise training routine); going to bed by 9:00p with a book, taking a short walk every morning before your shower, touching base with MFP friends and/or Group that will support you in your goals.

I'm curious -- Is it bad to go to bed at 9 p.m. and just go to sleep? Is it bad to sit or lie on another piece of furniture with a book? Is it bad to read on an e-reader or read a magazine instead of a physical book? Can people take their walks after their showers?

I think you may have missed some information the OP shared about herself in her other threads, that might be why you're confused.
  • missteena88
    missteena88 Posts: 153 Member
    Thanks to those who answered in a helpful manner. I honestly don't recall what I've posted on other boards because it's been a while and I've done every "eating scheme" out there.

For those who cannot relate or say it doesn't exist, you're lucky. It's a very real thing for many people, myself included.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I think it's just a matter of adjusting to new more balanced macros. I know *why* you think you have a sugar addiction, and it's probably because you crave it and eat it... and your body is designed to do that. Before Walmarts and drive thru's there were times of scarcity over winters etc. and your body is doing what it's designed to do; store fat and consume calories when there is an abundance for those times of scarcity. But they never come, because it's 2017. Just eat balanced and appropriately for your needs, your "addiction" will go away.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,942 Member
    Think about this: put kale or something sweet in front of a kid or baby. Which one are they going to choose to eat each time? It DOESN'T mean they have a "sugar addiction". Adults are no different. We gravitate towards things that taste good and sugar just makes things more palatable for many.

I love chocolate. Take the sugar away from a Hershey's chocolate bar, and I WON'T eat it cause it would taste like crap to me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2017
    Thanks to those who answered in a helpful manner. I honestly don't recall what I've posted on other boards because it's been a while and I've done every "eating scheme" out there.

For those who cannot relate or say it doesn't exist, you're lucky. It's a very real thing for many people, myself included.

The reason there are these debates, is because it hasnt' been shown in human models that people can be addicted to sugar. But people can have behavioral like symptoms for hyperpalatable foods.... also taking into consideration whether or not you eat any sugar, your body still runs on sugar.

Having said that, there are two main approaches to take... and depending on your personality and behaviors will depend on your approach. You can abstain and remove all of the foods that make you binge or feel addicted or you can moderate at smaller quantities. I have to moderate because when I eliminate, I find myself binging. Additionally, I found that if I focus on calories and protein, it has allowed me to be more successful. And I have tendencies to binge on meats and cheese. In fact, I will always choose more steak or a block of cheese over desert.

ETA: some feel better when you reduce overall carbs, but I found I feel much better by increasing protein, fiber and carbs, while reducing fats. Both there is definitely a huge focus on whole foods in my diary.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member

No
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited June 2017

Not I.
    However...once I quit eating sweets <simply to avoid high calorie treats> I actually dont want them anymore. (Primarily cake, candy, cookies, chocolate)
    Most things taste WAY too sweet when I do partake.

Pop over to the debate section, or do a search for "sugar addiction". There is plenty to read through if the posts are still there. Just be prepared for all the comparisons to drug/alcohol/sex/etc additions. But there are some replies you will find interesting because there are plenty who think sugar addiction is real and plenty of those who disagree. Enjoy!

ETA: Now, pizza addiction? ...you betcha. ;)
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Sugar addiction is not a real thing.

That being said, there is some scientific evidence that gut bacteria is capable of manipulating your eating behavior. So, if you eat a bunch of refined sugar the bacteria that thrive on processed sugar will emit neurotransmitters that drive you to consume more sugar.

Whether that's true or not, the solution is the same. Cut down on added sugar. If you can, cut it out entirely until you're able to develop some willpower. Then add it back into your diet in moderation as long as it meets your calorie goal. Simple, really.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    nokanjaijo wrote: »
    I am doing keto. I have gone cold turkey, no sugar. I check the ingredients of sunflower seeds to make sure there's no sugar, that's how off sugar I am. No bread, pasta. No fruit.

Are you not eating any vegetables? They have sugar. And the carbs in sunflower seeds break down into sugar.
  • missyjg99
    missyjg99 Posts: 246 Member
    I used to think I did, but I realized that this is what your body is used to a "processed quick fix". This is the reason I'm so heavy. I prefer sweet over salty/savory but it's a preference and I realized that eating a simple protein (look at the recipe board, lots of great suggestions) and then I'll have something sweet. I try not to buy stuff that sweet, like candy/ice cream etc. I travel for work so my diet isn't the best but I realized that offering my body some alternatives to the processed sugar actually takes care of cravings. That being said, I've found that the first few days are rough. I think this is a low grade "withdrawal" but it gets better, or at least for me. Now every 28 days the gloves come off and I look like Anna from Frozen stuffing my face with chocolate. Don't judge.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    edited June 2017
    I believe anything can be addicting including sugar. For example most people are addicted to their smart phones. But these aren't addicting in the same way as meth or cocaine or alcohol. Willpower is how you overcome it. Deciding what is more important. In my opinion, claiming that sugar is this addiction that you have to "recover" from is a way of giving away your personal responsibility and ability to make better choices. I think your attitude has to change. Good luck