Anyone suffer from sugar addiction?

Options
Has anyone ever truly suffered from sugar addiction? How did you recover?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth, but i have no addiction problems.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth. I started logging in my food on MFP about a month ago. Just found out that eating a box of Good and Plenty candy wasn't as nutritious as blueberries, cantaloupe, strawberries and apples. So I've switched over to those things instead. They satisfy my sweet tooth, sort of. I plan out my eating so that at the end of the day I have enough calories banked so I can have some chocolate or sugar free pudding with whipped cream if I want to. I think if you're motivated to decrease or eliminate sugar from your life, it can certainly be done!
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I love sugar and salt. I made a commitment to myself I was going to change me and my thinking this January.

For thirty days straight I worked out to form a habit, now I love it. (I started completely sedentary and hated working out), Part two was eating cleaner. After about two weeks of fighting with myself to cut those items way back I felt a thousand times better and didn't want them as much. I also starting logging at that point realized how ridiculous my eating was and how long it takes to work it off. 8 cookies, 60 minutes of serious hard gym work. No thanks.

I feel they aren't ask exciting anymore. In fact many things are "too salty" or "too sweet". Apples, almonds, carrots, etc do for me what a cookie used to.

I'd be happy to walk you through what I did if you'd like, send me a message.

My best advice: be committed and you'll surprise yourself!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    You are suffering from bad eating habits.

..And lack of willpower. OP I'm not having a go at you, as my willpower sucks when it comes to sweet stuff. Sometimes i win the battle, other times i say F it! It really is mind over matter in the end, AND not buying stuff you know you wont be able to resist. There are certain food items that do not make it in my shopping cart, if it's not in my house i cant eat it, I would much prefer to make my life/diet easier than to sit there fighting with myself and trying to resist or just stopping at one.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    No I don't.

Side note: why post this on numerous boards?
  • mikenmar
    mikenmar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't know about addiction, but I definitely have a sweet tooth. I find that my sweet cravings will go away if I go several days without any substantial amount of processed sugar.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I have a problem, yeah. I just don't buy or make sugary things. I can't deal with them. I have fruit instead, factoring in calories/portions of course.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    :s
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10409192/sugar-addicts-withdrawal-support-language-warning-tis-a-side-effect

Here's a thread that was created that turned out to be helpful for some... there may be some members you feel you connect with. It's 2016 but came up with a forum search on sugar addiction withdrawal support @missteena88
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My issues with sugar were are addiction like. If I have some I crave more. It affects my body and causes energy swings and increased hunger. It hurts my health...

I treated it like an actual addiction. I stopped eating it. I no longer eat added sugars. I also severely limit my carbohydrates, especially grains, starchy root vegetables, and high sugar fruits (well, almost all fruit TBH). Carbohydrates turn into glucose (and fructose) in the body so I limit all of them. They all affect me to a certain degree, so discovering that I don't need to eat carbohydrates was rather freeing. Now I skip most of them, feel much healthier, and don't have to deal with sugar/carb problems.

TBH, not many people around here who claimed they had addiction like issues with sugars were able to moderate them successfully. If sugar is a real problem for you, you may do best to avoid it completely.

Good luck.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    lpina2mi wrote: »
    Has anyone ever truly suffered from sugar addiction? How did you recover?

I believe you.

OP asked two questions. How do "believe" a question?
    You're projecting your own beliefs onto OP.
    Here are some starter ideas, since you mentioned the carb thing is a problem for you.

Again, you're projecting. OP said no such thing. OP didn't even mention carbs (which is a larger category than sugar). OP made no declarative statements whatsoever.
    Think of things you can add to your life: a HIIT (high intensity exercise training routine); going to bed by 9:00p with a book, taking a short walk every morning before your shower, touching base with MFP friends and/or Group that will support you in your goals.

I'm curious -- Is it bad to go to bed at 9 p.m. and just go to sleep? Is it bad to sit or lie on another piece of furniture with a book? Is it bad to read on an e-reader or read a magazine instead of a physical book? Can people take their walks after their showers?

I think you may have missed some information the OP shared about herself in her other threads, that might be why you're confused.
  • missteena88
    missteena88 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those who answered in a helpful manner. I honestly don't recall what I've posted on other boards because it's been a while and I've done every "eating scheme" out there.

For those who cannot relate or say it doesn't exist, you're lucky. It's a very real thing for many people, myself included.