Can't lose weight and build muscle simultaneously

Options
So, I've learnt that you can't build muscle if you're eating in a deficit unless you're being really really extreme (hours of working out a day) Does this mean when I'm having a rubbish week and eating in a surplus I'm going to be building muscle? Cos when I do have a rubbish week and eat in a surplus I do still workout and do mainly do weight training. Could this be a possible reason why the scale isn't moving but feeling slimmer? Some weeks I'm really good and eat in a deficit for 10 days straight, then may have a rubbish 5 days and eat in a surplus. Note: when eating in a surplus I do make sure I have all my protein needs and still eat healthy.

Replies

• Jayj180894
    Jayj180894 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Fair enough
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Jayj180894 wrote: »
    Fair enough

We all want the water weight to be muscle you are not alone. You can add me a friend if you would like, my diary is open to friends.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    You can build muscle on a deficit unless you already have lots of it.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    OP - Your will find your progression towards your goals (whatever they are) easier if you do all you can to have a consistent eating regime. Although one blow out is not going to wreck your progress regularly failing to stick to plan probably signals something is wrong with that plan.

10 days "on" and 5 days "off" is not as good as 15 days "on" even when that "on" is less aggressive.

So, take a look at your goals and your daily calorie target and think about how you can modify those to create something that you can stick to for weeks or months.

If you find that some situations or foods trigger poor dietary compliance, take a look at what types of strategy you could employ to avoid these situations or at least reduce the damage (note: I'm not necessarily talking about avoiding foods you lie here -one valid option is to plan those foods into your diet but in moderation).
  • CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    When I started my weight loss journey I did not even though of taking care of what kind of weight I am loosing.
    When I was more or less 5 Kilos away from my goal, I started to worry about how I look and started being worried about not loosing muscle. BUT EVEN THEN, I did nothing about it. In case you have no experience, the closer you are to your target weight the harder it gets (reduction of BMR so less calories or less effect in the balance).

So my advise after loosing 27 kilos and now maintaining then (actually 26, I guess I recovered 1 Kilo of mostly lean mass): it's going to be hard JUST to loose any weight, so focus on that and pay minor attention to muscle, fat, water.

When you are getting closer to your goal, you will have enough stimuli and willing to start thinking in those details.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 12 of Leangains, and it has been amazing for building muscle while still losing fat...might be worth looking into if that is your goal and you are already strength training.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you won't build muscle accidentally by eating a few extra calories and doing some random weight lifting.....muscle building in women is an extremely slow process...a woman doing everything right (diet, progressive lifting program) is fortunate to put on .5 to 1lb of muscle in a month - that is doing everything right! even then, it is not going to outpace fat loss if that is what you are asking regarding your weight not moving...

I didn't realize how slow, but just had a body comp assessment done (4 months after my first) - result, 1lb lean muscle gain and 3.5% BF loss - admittedly I wasn't lifting like I needed to to gain muscle, but I could see the body changes (in my legs leaning out)
  • cprbrat17
    cprbrat17 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna disagree, you can in fact build muscle while eating defiect. Consistency is the only facter. I was deep in an eating disorder at a point and i tell you what, i had a six pack going and leg and arm muscles going on. I worked out. Put the work in for it and just like that, i had the muscles. Note: I'm doing much better these days eating food. But the point is, you just gotta put in the work and it'll happen.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 12 of Leangains, and it has been amazing for building muscle while still losing fat...might be worth looking into if that is your goal and you are already strength training.

it doesn't though ...

how are you measuring these "gains"?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Jayj180894 wrote: »
    So, I've learnt that you can't build muscle if you're eating in a deficit unless you're being really really extreme (hours of working out a day) Does this mean when I'm having a rubbish week and eating in a surplus I'm going to be building muscle? Cos when I do have a rubbish week and eat in a surplus I do still workout and do mainly do weight training. Could this be a possible reason why the scale isn't moving but feeling slimmer? Some weeks I'm really good and eat in a deficit for 10 days straight, then may have a rubbish 5 days and eat in a surplus. Note: when eating in a surplus I do make sure I have all my protein needs and still eat healthy.

nope, you need a consistent surplus to gain muscle, as in like three months...
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    ... it's like trying to save money when you are spending your entire paycheck and then using your credit cards. ;)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    ... it's like trying to save money when you are spending your entire paycheck and then using your credit cards. ;)

not sure what you are trying to say here...

you can build muscle and lose fat at the same time...
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Yes, under very specific conditions and it's not generally sustainable. Newbie gains don't last forever and if you are very obese the ability to gain muscle and lose fat decreases the more weight you lose. The reason to lift while in a deficit, as a few have stated in this thread, is to try and maintain as much of your LBM as you can.

edit: and a recomp is a different creature - since we are no longer talking about a deficit.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Yes, under very specific conditions and it's not generally sustainable. Newbie gains don't last forever and if you are very obese the ability to gain muscle and lose fat decreases the more weight you lose. The reason to lift while in a deficit, as a few have stated in this thread, is to try and maintain as much of your LBM as you can.

a recomp is done at a small deficit or at maintenance.

teen boys, after being fit at one point and returning...