How to make spinach tasty?

Options
13»

Replies

• ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Sauteed then put in quiche, with bacon and swiss cheese. (Also known as "scrambled egg pie" for those who turn up their noses at the word "quiche".)
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Love spinach raw or cooked and usually eat it plain. It is very good in lasagna. One of my favorite side dishes - mix cooked spinach with rice, salt, pepper, feta cheese, sliced kalamata olives, and lemon juice.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If you really don't like it, add to fruit smoothies. My youngest daughter loves a green smoothie and that's the easiest way to get greens in her.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Wilted spinach, a small drizzle of cream. Plate up and put oven baked haddock on top of the spinach, finish off with a poached egg. Yummy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I made a Cook's Country version of this recently and really enjoyed it, but didn't finish it as it's summer here and for me it would work better for winter food. https://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/14787097/spinach-squares-cooks-country/ Plus it made a LOT.

This time of year I'd put spinach in smoothies if I grew it and had excess in the garden. I'm growing kale and swiss chard and using that instead.

I wanted to try growing Malabar spinach this year but found out too late no one locally carries seedlings of it so next year I will get seeds and start them earlier. Regular spinach bolts too quickly here in Massachusetts. I like kale and swiss chard because they are good April - November.
  • Yaranak
    Yaranak Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My favorite spinach recipe is the Arabic spinach stew. Ingredients include chicken (or your meat of choice), chickpeas, tons of spinach, onions, a little oil, lemon juice and a few spices. You can google "Yankhet Sabanekh" to find some recipes. We usually eat it with rice, but I think it's amazing on its own as well!
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    55r8w3vcntcp.jpeg
    Thats my go -to. On the daily for lunch.
    With 1/2 oz of almond slivers and grape tomatoes. Done and done.
    Or in a smoothie.
    Ive never cared for cooked spinach- however-as a result Ive also never cooked spinach.

Oh and of course cheesy spinach artichoke dip- if we wanna just blow the whole week. ;)
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Raw with hard boiled egg, bacon, cashews, dried cranberries, red onion and honey mustard dressing (or a vinaigrette - but I prefer the mustard dressing).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I love spinach in all ways...cooked...raw...in soups and stews and casseroles...whatever is clever for me...if you don't like it, do something else.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    In spanakopita.
  • delaclos99
    delaclos99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sauté in butter, add lemon and a pinch flaked salt. Or sauté in olive oil then pulp in a pestle and mortar with feta, basil and sun dried tomatoes for a fab pasta sauce/bruschetta topping.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I tend to like it WITH stuff. Oo, another way I have it is I put spinach and cottage cheese and sometimes some artichokes in the food processor and VRRRR and voila! Spinach-artichoke dip that's high in protein and fiber and minerals and relatively low-cal.
  • evergreenlake
    evergreenlake Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you like sandwiches, substitute it for lettuce and put mayo or mustard on it.
    Also fruit smoothies, if you add spinach it turns green but you can't taste it at all!
    You could also put it in veggies soup and blend it so that it doesn't separate :) hope youmre able to love spinach as much as me!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I sub it for pasta or rice. E.g. If I make meatballs and marinara on pasta for the fam, I sometimes put mine on spinach instead. Same with red beans & andouille-- I'll sometimes put it on spinach while others have it on rice. The heat from the sauce wilts it a bit. I'm a spinach lover, though, and also eat it in eggs, soups, etc. If you try a couple ways and just don't like it, find another vegetable you genuinely enjoy instead. Life is too short to choke down foods you don't like.
  • GottaluvFood
    GottaluvFood Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think it tastes best in a dish--eggs, pasta, soup, casseroles, even pizza, etc. I never hide it in a smoothie. I think it enhances foods. It's blah raw in a salad. I can endure it with strawberries or sundried tomatoes. But, I prefer a wilted spinach salads. Yummy, but I always overcook. Bummer.
  • antoinette1114
    antoinette1114 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I Love It With My Scrambled Eggs Sautéed It First With A Little Olive Oil & Season It With Lemon Pepper & A Lil On Your Eggs If You Want To Try It Like That Sooo Good
  • paulwatts747
    paulwatts747 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Silver beet (also called chard) is yummy. It is called spinach by many here in Australia because true spinach does not grow well in our warm climate. Silverbeet pie, with fetta cheese and pepper, is quite delicious indeed but full of calories I'd think.