Yikes constipation

Options
13»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Reinforcing others' mainstream messages: First get fiber, water, fat, and exercise at a reasonable level.

I emphasize fat because many people trying to lose weight will cut fat too far. Try for a minimum of around 0.4g per day per pound of healthy goal weight (more is OK). You also need fat for proper hormone function, and in order to best utilize the fat-soluble vitamins, among other things. Don't lowball it.

If all of that's on point, then consider probiotics and supplements.

Do not rely on laxatives, even so-called natural ones like senna, on a regular basis.
    Regular use can seriously mess things up. If the problem is routine or frequent, see your doctor.

Defecating several times daily, as long as it's not diarrhea, is not a problem, if your eating is high-fiber and you have no negative symptoms.

yes dont rely on laxatives my grandpa did this because his meds caused chronic constipation even though he got enough fiber and was active and as he got older he had to use them just to go.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been taking alot of tums... That constipated me. I had to offset with magnesium but if you are already taking it that probably won't help. Also not getting enough veggies which others have mentioned. If it continues it wouldn't hurt to see your doc. Last time I let it go I ended up with terrible hemorrhoids. Not fun at all.......
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, the other thing that helped me was probiotics! Forgot about that one.
  • ellefox70
    ellefox70 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I had this problem a while back, realised (eventually) that I had switched from my usual oats for breakfast to eggs as they kept me full for longer. Have switched back to oats and problem solved. It's horrible isn't it!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been taking alot of tums... That constipated me. I had to offset with magnesium but if you are already taking it that probably won't help. Also not getting enough veggies which others have mentioned. If it continues it wouldn't hurt to see your doc. Last time I let it go I ended up with terrible hemorrhoids. Not fun at all.......

Tums has lots of calcium.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Agree with others on this. Hit your macros, drink water when thirsty, get plenty of fiber, exercise, and possibly add multivitamin/magnesium.

I do not get enough fiber from whole food so I add it in daily with packages on insoluble fiber in water. They are nearly tasteless so putting them in other drinks would be fine.
  • pigsmoo2
    pigsmoo2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try mixing 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar with 1 cup of apple juice and a sliced lemon. I make mine @ night and drink it 1st thing in the morning. Works like a charm. (I do use the motts 4 tots apple juice 2 cut back on sugar).
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You might want to read this article from Harvard. It's got a lot of good, solid medical advise that may help decide what to do:
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/digestive-health/constipation-and-impaction
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Reinforcing others' mainstream messages: First get fiber, water, fat, and exercise at a reasonable level.

I emphasize fat because many people trying to lose weight will cut fat too far. Try for a minimum of around 0.4g per day per pound of healthy goal weight (more is OK). You also need fat for proper hormone function, and in order to best utilize the fat-soluble vitamins, among other things. Don't lowball it.

Do not rely on laxatives, even so-called natural ones like senna, on a regular basis.
    Regular use can seriously mess things up. If the problem is routine or frequent, see your doctor.

Defecating several times daily, as long as it's not diarrhea, is not a problem, if your eating is high-fiber and you have no negative symptoms.

yes dont rely on laxatives my grandpa did this because his meds caused chronic constipation even though he got enough fiber and was active and as he got older he had to use them just to go.

If a person suffers from chronic constipation, there's an underlying medical or dietary issue at play. These are not actually all that uncommon; from peristalsis of the large intestine to food intolerances to not getting enough fiber/fat/water.

Taking regular laxatives is something doctors regularly recommend, and if you have chronic constipation your doctor will almost certainly recommend adding them to your diet to try and see if that clears the problem up. Laxatives do NOT cause constipation.

Still, its best to discuss this issue with your doctor at your next wellness visit regardless of whether the problem is cleared up or not by the use of the laxatives.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    kavahni wrote: »
    You might want to read this article from Harvard. It's got a lot of good, solid medical advise that may help decide what to do:
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/digestive-health/constipation-and-impaction

You have to be a member to read that article. So i signed up, and it still wont let me read it :rage:
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »

If a person suffers from chronic constipation, there's an underlying medical or dietary issue at play. These are not actually all that uncommon; from peristalsis of the large intestine to food intolerances to not getting enough fiber/fat/water.

Taking regular laxatives is something doctors regularly recommend, and if you have chronic constipation your doctor will almost certainly recommend adding them to your diet to try and see if that clears the problem up. Laxatives do NOT cause constipation.

Still, its best to discuss this issue with your doctor at your next wellness visit regardless of whether the problem is cleared up or not by the use of the laxatives.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/constipation/in-depth/laxatives/art-20045906
    https://www.aarpmedicareplans.com/health/hct/laxative-overuse-is-a-risk-when-treating-constipation
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/constipation/in-depth/laxatives/art-20045906
    https://www.aarpmedicareplans.com/health/hct/laxative-overuse-is-a-risk-when-treating-constipation

They are referring to specific laxatives that are only available by prescription. Not to regular use of, say, miralax or Metamucil, which function as roughage /lubricants.

I don't believe constant use of magnesium citrate is advisable either, because of the accompanying dehydration risks. It'll clear you out, sure, but if you're blocked up enough to need that regularly, you have a significant physiological issue that needs medical care. But the magnesium citrate, or miralax, or Metamucil cannot make you physically dependent on them. Neither is a suppository gel, which is an emulsion of a lubricant.

If you aren't going to the bathroom regularly ( definition varies by individual from several times a day to 2 or 3 times a week) you already have a problem. Fixing the problem with diet, exercise, or laxatives may be a solution, but if it recurs regularly, it's a sign of another underlying issue. That recurrence is not caused by the use of the laxative, but rather chronic laxative use is a sign of digestive problems. Does the difference make sense?

This is one of my issues with general medical and science writing. Often the author does not understand the science, and neither does the editor. The writers here, at least if they've meant to include over - the - counter laxatives, have put the cart before the horse.
  • razzapool
    razzapool Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I suffered from constipation when I was cutting I think i went to far into limiting fats and to high protein once I incorporated a little more fat into my diet it helped alot
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Been there...Ive spend half of my adult life so miserable.
    All the OTC things became inefficient. I mean, 2-3 Exlax and still nothing for 3 days... just kill me now.

The only thing that changed my life, literally:

Tracking fiber- getting over 35g/day. (chia seeds, oatmeal, fiber one brownies, Quest bars, spinach, apples, prunes, grapes, broccoli, asparagus, cheerios)

Water, water and more water. <~~ if I slack in this area on any given day it is noticeable within 48 hours.
    A decent amount of Fats

Pasta, rice, bread and dairy work against me in this department - but I still enjoy occasionally and drown them with H2O.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

They are referring to specific laxatives that are only available by prescription. Not to regular use of, say, miralax or Metamucil, which function as roughage /lubricants.

I don't believe constant use of magnesium citrate is advisable either, because of the accompanying dehydration risks. It'll clear you out, sure, but if you're blocked up enough to need that regularly, you have a significant physiological issue that needs medical care. But the magnesium citrate, or miralax, or Metamucil cannot make you physically dependent on them. Neither is a suppository gel, which is an emulsion of a lubricant.

If you aren't going to the bathroom regularly ( definition varies by individual from several times a day to 2 or 3 times a week) you already have a problem. Fixing the problem with diet, exercise, or laxatives may be a solution, but if it recurs regularly, it's a sign of another underlying issue. That recurrence is not caused by the use of the laxative, but rather chronic laxative use is a sign of digestive problems. Does the difference make sense?

This is one of my issues with general medical and science writing. Often the author does not understand the science, and neither does the editor. The writers here, at least if they've meant to include over - the - counter laxatives, have put the cart before the horse.

even too much fiber can cause constipation though too not just over the counter stuff. and yes you can become dependent on them. my sister has several eating disorders and sure she is dependent on them,they arent addictive per se,but for a person like her they think they have to have them or do it for stupid reasons. But a lot of what you said does make sense. like I said though too much of a good thing can become a bad thing though.like for some too much cheese will constipate them.whether or not thats a digestive issue or not is hard to tell
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    About the article, hm. I just pulled it up and read it. I'm not a member of anything. Not sure why you can't get in.