Quest Bars

Options

Replies

• stephaniemarie416
    stephaniemarie416 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Question is why are you interested in them, please dont think I'm being mean just blunt, read on and you will know why I say that. I eat them and I have protein shakes but both items are expensive and if you only feel compelled to eat it because you "think" or "believe" that its "good for you" than dont bother just save your money, and eat regular food. If you choose to go down this path with the protein and supplements just know that its VERY expensive and the costs add up; i.e. quest bars cost between $2.50-3.00 a bar and the good protein shakes are about $1.50-2.00 a serving. Add that price tag per serving a day and 5-7 servings per week and it easily adds up to over $30 a week just on supplements and over $120 a month.

On that note. I love my quest bars and I eat them more regularly than I would like to admit, it started as a once in a while thing and now I eat it about once a day. I LOVE the chocolate peanut butter, strawberry cheese cake, coconut cashew, and chocolate brownie! They are best when they are slightly soft so either stick them in the microwave for a few seconds or you can leave them in the car like I do lol.

Good luck

Thanks for your input, I don't think you were rude at all :) I didn't think much about the cost and regular use of these bars, and you are so right, they really do add up. When I purchased my first couple, I honestly didn't even pay attention to the cost because I was in a rush.

As for my reason for eating them: I normally drink protein shakes on my harder workout days, or if what I ate during the day was lacking, but I was looking for a little something else/different for after a workout, or in the morning between the time I get into work, and when I am able to eat lunch. For the most part, I do use "real food" for these purposes, but I have a pretty crazy schedule some weeks and I am not able to make super frequent trips to the grocery store, so fresh stuff isn't always an option. However, from what I've seen so far these bars are at least better than some of the alternatives out there (some that I have probably eaten.)

I am the OP btw...
  • stephaniemarie416
    stephaniemarie416 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I AM OBSESSED WITH THEM. I would totally recommend them to anyone and everyone. I've tried most flavours, and I personally tend to lean more towards the chocolate-y ones (brownie, chocolate peanut butter...) rather than the fruity ones (apple pie, etc). I agree with putting them in the microwave, and I've heard baking them is yummy too. When you're in the store, try and squeeze the bars to pick the ones that feel the softest. Try and find a store that sells that rather than finding them online so you can try one instead of splurging on a whole box. Drink a large glass of water before and after eating the bar and you will feel INCREDIBLY full. I wouldn't eat this as a snack, I would eat it as a meal replacement.

Great advice on the water! In my opinion its good no matter what your eating to make sure you drink a good amount of water with it to help you realize when you're really full :)
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    i like the idea of quest bars, but be careful about what flavor you get. I bought boxes of the apple pie, cinnamon roll & lemon creme flavors online last year. I do not like them. out of those flavors the lemon is the best but tastes like lemon zest (like lemon rind) with no cream at all. the apple pie is flat out disgusting. cinnamon roll is not tasty either, kind of like cinnamon on cardboard.

From the reviews i've read on amazon & vitacost (and after seeing the suggestions here) if i order again i think i might try the chocolate chip cookie and/or brownie flavors.

wow, really? you're taste buds suck lol Oh and btw the cookie dough are amazing

i really don't think it is my tastebuds. I'm really not very picky.

i can drink plain unflavored whey powder and it doesn't bother me. I eat all sorts of bland or bitter foods with hardly any seasonings added with no problem. I have tried dozens of different protein powders and bars over the years. I've got about 15 different protein powders and 10 different kinds of protein bars in the cupboard right now. Some are good, some are fair, others are "meh" at best....but the apple pie & cinnamon roll quest bars are without a doubt the worst i've ever tried. so your taste buds must be broken lol :flowerforyou:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm still a fan of the coconut cashew. I bought a variety pack off amazon, and decided coconut cashew is the one for me. Love them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm still a fan of the coconut cashew. I bought a variety pack off amazon, and decided coconut cashew is the one for me. Love them.

It's my fourth favorite, lol.
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    My local GNC just got the White Chocolate Raspberry Quest bars in, I ran by and bought some after work yesterday. Tried one today for my afternoon snack and it was YUMMY! I will need to go back and buy more right now their bars are buy 3 get 1 free and if you use this coupon:
    http://content.gnc.com/coupons/COUPON_MBRPrice_20800.pdf
    you'll get $10 off $20 so you can buy 12 bars for $17 or so. Makes the bars $1.41 a pc or so! What a deal!

Thanks! I just printed this coupon. We went there last night and picked up 4 bars. My husband had the lemon last night and I liked it, although I only took a tiny bite. I had the white chocolate raspberry for breakfast and it was my favorite! I had order two boxes, chocolate brownie which I don't like but my husband and son do and chocolate chip cookie dough, which is just okay. (Yes, I warm them up.) I want to go back today to buy some more!!! We also picked up coconut cashew (for dh) and vanilla almond crunch for me but we haven't had a chance to try those yet.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    TMI ALERT:

I was eating quest bars and they took up residence in my colon and nearly killed me! I ended up with a very bad digestion problem. :noway:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    TMI ALERT:

I was eating quest bars and they took up residence in my colon and nearly killed me! I ended up with a very bad digestion problem. :noway:

Umm whoa. That's some definite tmi.

Kinda curious how you know it's from quest bars though? First time I've ever heard of something like this...
  • MrsFitNSexySimmons
    Options
    I eat them only from time to time more of as a treat for the day instead of a candy bar or ice cream. Definitely not a good meal replacement option. They taste great but there are far more superior ways to get your protein than to eat one of these bars.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    TMI ALERT:

Are you saying that you were ONLY eating Quest bars?? Nothing else? If you were eating other food I don't think you can put the blame totally on the Quest bars. If your diet was 100% Quest bars then perhaps a possibility of them causing an impaction--not a lot of fiber or moisture.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I love Quest bars. Banana Nut is my fave.

Fun story. A friend of mine made a care package of Quest bars for her husband who is currently stationed in Afghanistan. She posted the care package pic on Facebook and tagged Quest. Not only did they see it, but they responded with a thank you letter and sent her 7 cases so that her hubs has plenty through his deployment (which we hope ends in September).

Awesome protein bar, awesome company.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I threw a Chocolate chip cookie dough in the oven for the first time. 4 minutes till its ready. Nomnomnomnom

4 MINUTES??!! Was this a typo. Did you mean 4 SECONDS? I warm mine in microwave 7-8 seconds and they are super soft, chewy and starting to stick to the tray. I can't imagine heating for 1 minute much less 4 minutes.
  • irunforcookies
    irunforcookies Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks! I printed the coupon out and went to get them - they were already on sale! Buy 3 get one free, so it brought the cost down to 12 bars for $17. I'm going to go get more tonight. :)
  • marvybells
    Options
    TMI ALERT:

Umm whoa. That's some definite tmi.

Kinda curious how you know it's from quest bars though? First time I've ever heard of something like this...

i think most people do just fine eating them, but i have heard of people having digestion problems from the inulin that they add to the bars. Something about it being a pre-biotic that feeds gut bacteria. maybe you had some nasties in there and they overpopulated. just a guess.....

i ate about 2 boxes worth of quest bars over the course of a few months and i never had any problems. i am curious about this after having read articles that the inulin can be bad....were you eating them every day? how many did you consume before you noticed this reaction?
  • marvybells
    Options
    My local GNC just got the White Chocolate Raspberry Quest bars in, I ran by and bought some after work yesterday. Tried one today for my afternoon snack and it was YUMMY! I will need to go back and buy more right now their bars are buy 3 get 1 free and if you use this coupon:
    http://content.gnc.com/coupons/COUPON_MBRPrice_20800.pdf
    you'll get $10 off $20 so you can buy 12 bars for $17 or so. Makes the bars $1.41 a pc or so! What a deal!

Thanks! I just printed this coupon. We went there last night and picked up 4 bars. My husband had the lemon last night and I liked it, although I only took a tiny bite. I had the white chocolate raspberry for breakfast and it was my favorite! I had order two boxes, chocolate brownie which I don't like but my husband and son do and chocolate chip cookie dough, which is just okay. (Yes, I warm them up.) I want to go back today to buy some more!!! We also picked up coconut cashew (for dh) and vanilla almond crunch for me but we haven't had a chance to try those yet.

Nice! i want to try the brownie & cookie dough flavors.

Does anyone know if you have to be a GNC member to use this coupon?
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I think you can but you won't get the gold club price but they should sell them to you for buy 3 get 1 free price and the coupon. Some stores won't do it I found out this weekend while in the West Burbs of Chicago, went to two GNC's and they wouldn't let me use the coupon. I don't know why, my local store does and did Monday on my lunch hour when I bought 12 of the White Choc Raspberry ones.

[/quote]

[/quote]
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I threw a Chocolate chip cookie dough in the oven for the first time. 4 minutes till its ready. Nomnomnomnom

4 MINUTES??!! Was this a typo. Did you mean 4 SECONDS? I warm mine in microwave 7-8 seconds and they are super soft, chewy and starting to stick to the tray. I can't imagine heating for 1 minute much less 4 minutes.

Chocolate chip cookie dough quest bars baked are insane! try it
  • marvybells
    Options
    [/quote]

I think you can but you won't get the gold club price but they should sell them to you for buy 3 get 1 free price and the coupon. Some stores won't do it I found out this weekend while in the West Burbs of Chicago, went to two GNC's and they wouldn't let me use the coupon. I don't know why, my local store does and did Monday on my lunch hour when I bought 12 of the White Choc Raspberry ones.

[/quote]
    what a steal! The GNC near me honored the $10 off a $20 purchase coupon AND gave me the buy 3 get 1 free deal even though i am not a member. they also had a 25% off quest bars sale running. So they rang up at $1.64 each with every 4th one free (the total was $13.02 but i also bought a labrada bar that rang up at .68 cents, so it was really under $13 for all 9 quest bars)

I just scarfed down the cookie dough one in the car on the way home. So it was not even heated up---and that is some good stuff! :love:

edit: Oh, and since it is buried on another page, here is the coupon in case anyone is interested: http://content.gnc.com/coupons/COUPON_MBRPrice_20800.pdf