Options
124»

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Sigh. It's really disheartening to see how many people are misconstruing the OP.

It may have something to do with the fact that the OP is SEVENTEEN PARAGRAPHS long. This is a message board, not the National Institutes of Health.

Quite often I walk away from threads where the OP is too wordy for me to commit to. *hint hint*
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    There are a few factors here:
    (1) it was really easy for OP to track calories
    (2) OP had to walk to get their meals and therefore probably didn't indulge the munchies as often...plus got a bit of exercise.
    (3) Burritos have quite a bit of fiber and protein, I actually think they're the healthiest junk food!
    (4) Id be curious about the macro breakdown. I imagine the level of sodium in the food could wreak havoc on one's system but otherwise maybe this wasn't so bad!
    (5) Lastly, skipping breakfast is a form of IF; I imagine this helped keep calorie intake down.

Also, id be curious about body COMPOSITION at the end of the month... how much muscle was lost? What was exercise like? How did this person feel and sleep? I know these details are tangential to the main point but they're still relevant. If anything, this drives home the point that a good diet provides far more than weight loss: that the blood work came back fine (compared to what?) still doesn't tell us much.

Oh also though, yes: macros don't matter. Pick a diet that works for you that makes you feel good and is sustainable. Diets are not one size fits all and some people may want/need more fat in their diet while others may want/need more complex carbs.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Sodium wouldn't be that big an issue. The body would normalize to the higher intake. Just drink more fluids.

Muscle loss was prolly not that much if any Over a one month time span. Even less of a chance if he was exercising during that time.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Bumping this so new people can see it.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »
    Bumping this so new people can see it.

It seems like an eternity ago I did this experiment now, but it was certainly an unforgettable experience. It does illustrate CICO put to the test under extreme conditions, which could prove helpful to new people.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Sigh. It's really disheartening to see how many people are misconstruing the OP.

It may have something to do with the fact that the OP is SEVENTEEN PARAGRAPHS long. This is a message board, not the National Institutes of Health.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tldr-summarize-anything/giepilabiomhlcmlefmbfkgeoccfhhhc?hl=en

ETA:
    Interesting experiment, OP. What's even more interesting is that you started getting bored with that kind of food. May be an interesting temporary fix to try for those who keep obsessing with junk food and find it affects their dieting? Just eat it so often for a while until it's no longer novel and enjoyable as a "sinful food"?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
  • FatAFNoMore
    FatAFNoMore Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The original post was great. I like to make my own food and don't go out that much, but I do have some go to items. My go to fast food is at Wendys. A plain baked potato, a side salad (no dressing or croutons), and a small chili and two packets of crackers. I put the chili on the potato and on the salad and crumble the crackers into whatever is left in the chili bowl. It's super filling, under $6 and just over 500 calories. When I am in a rush and need lunch to bring to work, a can of soup it is. Usually a can is around 400 calories and again, fills me up and with sales and coupons can be under $2 for that meal.

I've been on cruises before and it's true that after a week you get so bored with the volume and want your simple foods again. I remember when my dad told me he had to beg for a small bowl of oatmeal and I thought he was nuts. Well when I started to do cruises I used to do the sit down breakfast because I prefer eating that way but the volume got old, he was so right! I started to go to the buffet only so I could get just a little of what I wanted and be done.