July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - ugh. So sorry you are having a recurrence of vertigo. That sounds awful. Great job just trying to push on through. Be careful
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom That sounds rough. I admire your ability to deal with this and keep on running. I will occasionally get a little light headed when I stand too quickly, but nothing like what you describe. Be careful and stay safe.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - How scary!!! Hope your episode ends soon.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom That's actually a good reminder to invest in a RoadID tag...anything can happen, and having that info on you can potentially make a life-or-death difference should help ever be required.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom, wow that sounds scary. Hope you get feeling better quick.

No run for me today - Body Beast Total Body workout this morning. I need to get back to the weights a couple times a week instead of just running.

Tomorrow morning I'll try for 7.5 miles. Thinking of a half marathon in November in Monterey Bay. :#
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    7/1 - 7 miles. Beautiful morning to run!
    7/2 - Rest day.
    7/3 - 5 miles. Kinda sloggish.
    7/4 - 5 miles. Humid.
    7/5 - Nothing so far, we'll see. Fireworks hangover, slept in.
    7/6 - 5 miles. Crazy humidity level...so sticky.
    7/7 - 4 miles.
    7/8 - 7.2 miles.
    7/9 - Rest day.
    7/10 - 5 very sweaty miles.
    7/11 - Unplanned rest day. Hammies were not in good shape. Painful even.
    7/12 - 4 treadmill miles, then quick upper body weights.
    7/13 - 5 humid miles.

exercise.png
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    5.2 miles yesterday on the treadmill (storms all day, holy humidity Batman, not gonna run in that). Garmin did a somewhat better job of keeping up this time, was only 0.2 off. It particularly gets confused when I do speed work. I'll be doing a 10 minute mile and it'll think I'm doing 11:30. Oh well, it's not an exact science.

After running I decided to try out some of the strength equipment. I did kettlebell squats and deadlifts. I also purchased a resistance band for home to work on upper body. Oh my, but the DOMS right now is quite bad. LOL.

July total - 37.95 / 80
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    @RespectTheKitty - I am in your afore mentioned stupid category. My only explanation or guess is that my brain apparently focuses on the "left" part... my first instinct is always to move left. It is chronic enough- if running buddy and I are together, and I am the left runner of our pair.... if she hears someone say that, she just laughs and grabs me and drags me to the right.

Maybe that's it. On the Prairie Path, it is very common for people to say "On your left" when they are passing, because everyone always passes on the left (or are supposed to, anyway). Since I was on a sidewalk and not on the Prairie Path, it makes sense that the person I tried to pass would get confused. Still, it was annoying. :smile: Whatcha gonna do though. At least no one got hurt.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty one thing on treadmills.... it might not be your watch that's totally off. I've seen some very badly calibrated treadmills....

Great job running, and, I forgot to say before, congrats/awesome job running your first HM. !
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    Finally getting caught up. Went back and read through most all of the posts over the last week... you all have been SO busy!
    @kimlight2 - Happy (belated) Birthday!
    @angmarie28 - Congratulations on running your 1st Marathon!! Awesome job!! I hope you are recovering well. I do want to mention that I was born not far from Missoula. Maybe one of these days I will get up there for a race but not a marathon!
    @Elise4270 - Congratulations on your AG win!! How was the run with @BeeerRunner? I am expecting to see pictures soon! Also I miss @WhatMeRunning too! I was hoping to maybe meet up with him at the expo or before the race start in San Francisco.
    @KatieJane83 - Congratulation on your 5k and improving your time! I too am not a big fan of the 5k. Too me I just get going and it is over. I like the 10k races better and HM best of all.
    @JessicaMcB - Weimeraner's are very fast. They are one of the dogs Hobbes the Vizsla likes to run with on the beach because they can chase and keep up with him at least for a while... They can however be very mean. We have had a few run ins even in our agility classes/trials where the dogs were asked to leave.
    @amymoreorless - I lost a few toenails, especially after races but that has mostly become a thing of the past now that I wear shoes that have a wider toe box (Topo, Altra, Skora, etc.) I have always worn Smartwool socks and have never had a blister. After my first HM (first black toenail) I also went up another half size (a full size over my regular shoe size).
    @Orphia - love the Steigen socks! Do you know if they are available in the States?
    @skippygirlsmom - wow that vertigo sounds terrible! I hope you are feeling better and are able to function ok.

I do think it is SO important to have a RoadID or some other type of easily found ID with you when you are out running. I don't think many of us carry our DLs or other IDs with us and the RoadID is a great way to always have it. I have the ones that velcro onto my shoes and I have multiple so I don't have to move it between my shoes. They have basic contact and health information.

I am also definitely a member in the 'Sweaty Girls/Sweaty Runners' Clubs. I am pretty much soaked and dripping within a short period of time. It makes me crazy though when the sweat runs down my arms and onto my wrist and hands. I have been getting up early for me and out to run before it gets too hot but then it is more humid so either way it gets me...

I realized yesterday my HM in San Francisco is only a little over a week away. I had originally planned to get in a long run this Saturday but I think I will limit it to 6-7 miles. Because of the anniversary weekend away and no running, I missed getting my final long run in. I don't feel like it is an issue as my focal point for this race is to just feel strong enough to finish it and having some extra rest will do my body good. The good news is between the new eating plan and supplements, I am feeling a bit better and my running is slowly improving.

Date........Miles.......Total
    07/01......9.02........9.02
    07/02......0.00........9.02
    07/03......4.66......13.68 - + Agility
    07/04......4.66......18.34
    07/05......5.81......24.15
    07/06......0.00......24.15 - + Strength Training
    07/07......0.00......24.15 - Anniversary weekend
    07/08......0.00......24.15 - Anniversary weekend
    07/09......0.00......24.15 - Anniversary weekend
    07/10......0.00......24.15 - + Agility
    07/11......5.64......29.79 - + Strength Training
    07/12......4.28......34.07
    07/13......0.00......34.07 - + Strength Training

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/23/17 - San Francisco 1st Half Marathon
    10/14/17 - AIM for the Cure Melanoma 5K Walk/Run
    12/16/17 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom sorry to hear about your vertigo issue
    4 miles today 12X30 second hill repeats. Workout felt great but I had to stop to get my heart rate monitor paired. The repeats were plenty fast under 6 minutes per mile pace but the monitor did not show my rate in zone 5 but in zone 3??? Does this mean I actually need to run faster for these? My cool down was in the zone 1 and it did not record my warm up so it's a guess at best. I have a treadmill workout tomorrow and a long run for Saturday.

exercise.png
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options

7/1 4mi 39:56min
    7/2 rest
    7/3 6mi 56:06min
    7/4 7mi 67:36min
    7/5 rest
    7/6 10mi 1:38:49min
    7/7 5mi 47:19min
    7/9 4mi 38:35min
    7/10 rest
    7/11 6mi 57:54min
    7/12 4mi 37:22min
    7/13 rest
    7/14 6mi 58:45min

Holy cow it's hot out there! 6 miles but I started doing a run, walk about 4 miles in. I'm surprised my pace was still sub-10 minute miles given the walk breaks I took.

Tomorrow is 5 miles and I might end up slogging them on the treadmill...
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom that must have been so scary. I'm glad you made it home safe. I hope you feel better soon.

July 13: 2.81 km

MTD: 34.39 / 75 km

I started doing the Strong Curves book on Monday. I can tell it's exactly the strength training I've been looking for, with a focus on the glutes and legs. But I am feeling pretty achy, so I have skipped a couple of planned runs this week.

Today's was a speed run and I feel I'm not going as fast as I should be. I'm following the 80/20 pace calculator, but my heart rate barely went into zone 3 for the zone 4 sections. I was also looking at Garmin's race predictions and it thinks I should be 9 mins faster for a 5K than I am currently capable of (31 vs my 40). I'll have to start reading again to see if I should be pushing myself more. Anyone with a Garmin, do your race predictions match your times?
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom sorry to hear about your vertigo issue
    4 miles today 12X30 second hill repeats. Workout felt great but I had to stop to get my heart rate monitor paired. The repeats were plenty fast under 6 minutes per mile pace but the monitor did not show my rate in zone 5 but in zone 3??? Does this mean I actually need to run faster for these? My cool down was in the zone 1 and it did not record my warm up so it's a guess at best. I have a treadmill workout tomorrow and a long run for Saturday.

@cburke8909 - I'm still working on understanding the principles of 80/20 heart rate, but IMO your HR only went to zone 3 because 30 seconds wasn't long enough for it to get to zone 5. I had a similar phenomenon in Tuesday's intervals. I was running 1000/1200/1000 at I pace, which should be a little faster than lactic threshold in the Jack Daniels system. You would expect my HR to go to Zone 4 in the 80-20 system, because the point of the I pace is to improve VO2 max and lactic threshold. In actuality, my HR only got into Zone X for the first interval, but it hung out a lot in Zone 3 in the later intervals when I was more tired.

Then came 4x200 at R pace. You would expect R pace in the Daniels system to correspond to Zone 5 in the 80-20 system; but 200m isn't very long. My HR made it into Zone 3 for much of the 200s, and a few seconds into Zone 4, but that was it. I expect I would have hit 80-20 Zone 5 if I had been running 600s at R pace, but it might not have been for the majority of the time running. Overall, my workout had just a bit less time in Zone X than in Zone 3; but you can't get to Zone 3 without going through Zone X, and the recovery intervals sent me back through Zone X to Zone 2.

FWIW, I've re-done the zones on my 630 so that Garmin zones 1 through 5 correspond to 80-20 zones 1, 2, X, 3, and (Y+4+5). This is in contrast to a link that was given upthread, recommending to set the Garmin zones to 80-20 zones (1+2), X, 3, (Y+4), 5. I figure that when I'm doing intervals hard enough that I belong in Zone 4, I'm not going to be able to monitor what I'm doing by HR anyway because I'm working hard enough just to maintain the pace, but I might get some use out of knowing whether I'm in zone 1 or zone 2.

I suspect I'd spend more time in Zones 4 and 5 if I were training for a mile, because I'd be doing more intervals at faster paces, and some of them would be longer intervals. But when I get to the long intervals at T pace, I expect I'll see the HR stabilize in Zone 3. It will be interesting to watch.

TL;DR - Short intervals with recovery periods mean your HR doesn't stabilize as high as it would if you were running the interval pace for a longer continual time. Not sure how the 80-20 system addresses this phenomenon.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I also support RoadID. I wear a necklace everywhere, and the sport bracelet sometimes (usually when hiking) when I want something more obvious than what's underneath my shirt. In addition to my medical issues (some of which might be obvious to a first responder just because I wear my insulin pump openly), I have emergency contact information available there and they can even get a copy of my Living Will and Medical Power of Attorney through RoadID if needed. These are things that were not possible when I just had a more generic medical alert that just listed Diabetes / Type 1 Diabetes / something similar.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent

Thanks for the advise. Didn't go for run but I swam instead. Easy pace at start and then it went better. End up doing some kms and now I feel awesome.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    The feels like temp is 107. :( probably not getting any miles today.

@skippygirlsmom - yuck that stinks! Sorry that is happening to you :frowning:
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    July 13 – 3.0 miles Easy & 21 DFX Upper Fix Extreme and Lower Fix Extreme

Total: 54.25/100 miles

Upcoming Races:
    July 21 - St. Pete Beach Series, Race #2, 5K