July 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    @PastorVincent and @seanevan10 - if you are looking for shoes with a wider toe box you might check out Altra and Topo. Both are known for having a more natural fit that allows your toes to splay out naturally. I have had some issues with the sizing of Altras to get the right size. Topos are a spinoff from Vibram and I love them. Actually my favorite is Skora (also wide toe box) but they have had some stock issues and don't expect to have more until this fall. I like the fit of all 3 of these better than my wide width New Balance.

Kind of funny you say that because I just bought a pair of Altra's this past weekend. I will be working them in to the rotation this week.
  • seanevan10
    HonuNui wrote: »
    July Goal: 85 mile (yeah, a REAL goal!)
    7/23 MIKADO! (got a last minute invite-it was fabulous!)
    7/24 5.10

Total 68.07

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png
    upcoming races:
    Fun in the Sun Virtual 10k 6/28/17
    Race to Cure Sarcoma Month of July
    Volcano Rainforest Runs 10k 8/19
    BlockThe Sun Run 5k Oct 14 (https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017) (physical and virtual options available)
    I had to look up Mikado was. That sounds amazing. I am glad you had fun!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    7/1 4mi 39:56min
    7/2 rest
    7/3 6mi 56:06min
    7/4 7mi 67:36min
    7/5 rest
    7/6 10mi 1:38:49min
    7/7 5mi 47:19min
    7/9 4mi 38:35min
    7/10 rest
    7/11 6mi 57:54min
    7/12 4mi 37:22min
    7/13 rest
    7/14 6mi 58:45min
    7/15 5mi 48:28min
    7/16 10mi 1:41:20min
    7/17 rest
    7/18 6mi 57:17min
    7/19 7mi 67:29min
    7/20 rest
    7/21 6mi 57:11min
    7/22 4mi 37:16min
    7/23 10mi 1:39:53min
    7/24 rest
    7/25 6mi 56:58min
    7/26 5mi 48:29min

Ran 5 miles this morning with my husband before he leaves for the next 4 weeks. It wasn't hot, but it was muggy. Had to make a pit stop 2 miles in - that's never happened before! Thankfully the little golf cart stop I run past has bathrooms!
  • seanevan10

In addition to feeling like crap, I ALSO managed to trip over nothing and epically wipe out on the pavement! ETA: this was about 10.5 miles into my run and OF COURSE happened pretty much right in front of 2 ladies out for a walk (at least it wasn't a hot guy! :D ) They were like, "Omg! Oh no! Are you ok?!?", and I had to get up, brush myself and my dignity off, and be like, "don't worry! I'm fine! No big deal!" But damn did my hands sting, lol

You poor thing. I guess we all get our turn for doing a face plant. I hope you heal up quickly and you are a bad *kitten* for toughing it out!!!!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    @PastorVincent Thank you! I'm feeling much better this morning, thank goodness. And yesterday was the last day of antibiotics, so hooray for that!

@seanevan10 Thank you! It wasn't my first and I'm sure it won't be my last. Good thing I have pretty durable dignity! :D
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    garygse wrote: »
    So this morning my Garmin came back to life, it must have heard me telling Skip it had been replaced. I said to Skip should I return the 235 when it comes it was so much money. She said "Momma you never spend money on yourself, you've been looking at that watch for a long time keep it". Right on little girl so I am!
    That's what I tell myself all the time (well, except for the 'Momma' part)...and then I think about all the things that I've bought myself and realize that that's not exactly true. But it's ok, by that point I've usually already clicked the order button.

I always hit the order button and expect it to say " you don't really need this" and decline my purchase.

@skippygirlsmom definitely keep the watch. You know the second you return it the old on will die again
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    edited July 2017
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I'm Korean so I always have enough rice, I buy it 25 pounds at a time :smile: Of course I would never waste that much rice to try and dry my shoes!

I have wasted a gallon of white vinegar to get the stink out of workout clothes. A long soak in straight vinegar is the only thing that works for me.

My husband is a postie and I bought him a little electric shoe fan to dry his shoes (we live in a rainy place). It's awesome. A little egg-shaped fan fits in each shoe and he plugs it in and they safely dry overnight. I think I paid about $30 at MEC (Canada's version of REI).

I've tried the vinegar to get the stink out, but never straight. Thanks for the tip!
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    @KatieJane83, wow, Embrace the Suck is right. Glad you're feeling better and so impressed that you actually did that. Oh, and I think we tie our shoes the same way. Man, was that an eye-opener when the lady at my running store showed me there was more than one way to lace shoes! :smiley:

@PastorVincent, listening to The Enemy of an Enemy book 1 and hooked.

4.74 miles for me this morning. Started out feeling like I was going to die, as usual, but ended feeling pretty good.

July total: 63.75 / 60 - Goal exceeded!
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    July 25: 3.36 km

MTD: 50.78 / 75 km
  • seanevan10
    @shrcpr Great job on the goal succeeded!!!!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    There's a guy that works out in the units. He comes in to bring samples and all he talks about is running. So annoying. I suppose if he ever shuts up I'll tell him that there is an appropriate venue for running chit chat and point him here. I think he just finished his first half, maybe full. I'll have to check the race.

So annoying. He doesn't even know I run. Because he won't shut up long enough for anyone to get in a word.

And I now understand the stereotype. :wink:

ETA okay he finished his first full in 4:01. I understand he's elated... I'm sure all I talk about is running too.

No... you also talk about hotdogs! :lol:
  • PastorVincent
    So this morning my Garmin came back to life, it must have heard me telling Skip it had been replaced. I said to Skip should I return the 235 when it comes it was so much money. She said "Momma you never spend money on yourself, you've been looking at that watch for a long time keep it". Right on little girl so I am!

Nah, do not return the new one, sell the old one. :smile: I do not know what model it was, but if you put it up on EBay, and offer a Square Trade warranty with it (no cost to you) probably can get $100 or something.
  • PastorVincent
    shrcpr wrote: »
    July total: 63.75 / 60 - Goal exceeded!

Yay, well done!
    shrcpr wrote: »
    @PastorVincent, listening to The Enemy of an Enemy book 1 and hooked.

:blush: thanks.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @katiejane83 owie!!!
    @garygse considering we just came back from vacation and truly can’t talk about not spending money, however, I did have a garage sale the other weekend which will more than cover the cost of the watch. Love the “batman” shoes.
    @mobycarp sorry about the soggy chips
    @shanaber Nice HM sorry about the conditions and your time. Sounds like a gun vs chip issue to me too.
    @elise4270 you are so right my other is bound to die again… eventually
    @pastorvincent good idea on selling the old, we have a “garage” sale site that is run by one of our running groups here. It’s a forerunner 15 I think.
    OMG they pushed an upgrade to my computer last night to get me to windows 10 and they said back up all your files via this site so they can download when you get in today….ha ha EVERYONE in the company who upgraded last night or in the past month has lost EVERY SINGLE FILE because nothing has downloaded back from the “backup”. Luckily I backed mine up via my external hard drive.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,881 Member
    @shanaber - great race report- sorry your pride is hurt but you are my hero running -- so many HMs!
    @skippygirlsmom - sounds like an awesome college visit tour! Glad you decided to keep the new Garmin! Hopefully the old ones lives long enough to pull the data out and record it!
    @PastorVincent - I wear a women's wide 9.5 and I keep wondering about trying a men's because I think they are a little wider. I usually end up with Brooks and they only make one color in wide per shoe. In fact... I should be receiving my new Glycerin 15's tomorrow! So when I buy a second pair when the first one is near the end, it is always the same color which annoys me. I have to put a big X on the inside of the shoes so I know which pair is older.

Wanted to run this AM but decided I should take a cardio day off. I told my husband "I'm sleeping in tomorrow, taking the day off because I'm going to the gym for strength training". He says "how is that a day off?"

7/1 - 5.5 miles - Barcelona!
    7/2 - 7.5 miles - Barcelona again!
    7/3 - 2 miles (Treadmill on cruise)
    7/4 - rest - lots of walking in Nice, Monaco and Monte Carlo
    7/5 - 3 miles - 22 laps on cruise running track. Set out for 5 miles, but it wasn't fun.
    7/6 - rest - lots of walking in Rome
    7/7 - rest - Amalfi coast and Pompeii
    7/8 - 4.1 treadmill on cruise
    7/9 - rest - travel day
    7/10 - 7 miles in Munich
    7/11 - 6 miles in Munich
    7/12 - travel day
    7/13 - 4.2 miles back home w/daughter
    7/14 - 6.0 miles
    7/15 - 45 miles biking
    7/16 - 28 miles biking
    7/17 - 4.6 miles
    7/18 - 5.1 miles
    7/19 - strength training
    7/20 - 5 miles
    7/21 - 5 miles
    7/22 - 34 miles biking
    7/23 - 66 miles biking
    7/24 - 5 miles
    7/25 - Strength training

exercise.png

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    @shrcpr yes! That lacing technique was a game changer for me when I first got into running!

@ddmom0811 I also wear a Wide in Brooks Glycerins. Just ordered my 3rd pair of the 14s (closeout now, since the 15s came out, woot!) in Anthracite/Azalea/Silver and I am heartily sick of the color scheme!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    There's a guy that works out in the units. He comes in to bring samples and all he talks about is running. So annoying. I suppose if he ever shuts up I'll tell him that there is an appropriate venue for running chit chat and point him here. I think he just finished his first half, maybe full. I'll have to check the race.

So annoying. He doesn't even know I run. Because he won't shut up long enough for anyone to get in a word.

And I now understand the stereotype. :wink:

ETA okay he finished his first full in 4:01. I understand he's elated... I'm sure all I talk about is running too.

No... you also talk about hotdogs! :lol:

And kittens.

Why no kitten emoji MFP?
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    7/1 - 7 miles. Beautiful morning to run!
    7/2 - Rest day.
    7/3 - 5 miles. Kinda sloggish.
    7/4 - 5 miles. Humid.
    7/5 - Nothing so far, we'll see. Fireworks hangover, slept in.
    7/6 - 5 miles. Crazy humidity level...so sticky.
    7/7 - 4 miles.
    7/8 - 7.2 miles.
    7/9 - Rest day.
    7/10 - 5 very sweaty miles.
    7/11 - Unplanned rest day. Hammies were not in good shape. Painful even.
    7/12 - 4 treadmill miles, then quick upper body weights.
    7/13 - 5 miles.
    7/14 - 5 miles.
    7/15 - Sick day...ick.
    7/16 - 7 miles.
    7/17 - 5 miles.
    7/18 - 4.7 miles. Super sticky! 76° and 96% humidity = running through soup.
    7/19 - 4 treadmill miles, then upper body weights.
    7/20 - Rest day.
    7/21 - 3.1 'mill miles, then upper body weights and abs.
    7/22 - 4 miles.
    7/23 - 5 miles.
    7/24 - 4.9 miles with some speed work. First day with HM training group.
    7/25 - 4.6 miles.

exercise.png
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Well, I had another "well if doc isn't going to answer me, I'm not going to listen to her," sort of moods this morning. So... 3.3 miles later.... probably should have stopped 1 run interval before I did. Oops. But otherwise seems to have not worsened anything... this time...

Brings me to like 7.3 for the month?? I think.