July 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    @PastorVincent and @seanevan10 - if you are looking for shoes with a wider toe box you might check out Altra and Topo. Both are known for having a more natural fit that allows your toes to splay out naturally. I have had some issues with the sizing of Altras to get the right size. Topos are a spinoff from Vibram and I love them. Actually my favorite is Skora (also wide toe box) but they have had some stock issues and don't expect to have more until this fall. I like the fit of all 3 of these better than my wide width New Balance.
  • JimCrackinDandy
    JimCrackinDandy Posts: 146 Member
    edited July 2017
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I considered pulling out because of the calf, and now because of the cough, but I know me, and if I pull out now, I’ll ALWAYS pull out when I’m feeling a bit rough.

I must therefore be a runner. Because I am still going ahead,

You are an inspiration! I have had bronchitis bunches of times and there's nothing worse, in my book for a runner, than the Dreaded Bronchitis!!!!
    Great plan you have- Go for the walk and have fun. I will be praying for a quick recovery from this chest infection/ cough.

• JimCrackinDandy
    JimCrackinDandy Posts: 146 Member

Maybe the trucker just had some extra biscuits for whatever reason and decided to share them with the first dog he saw?

I did that recently when I changed my diet back to zero carb again... I had a bunch of nuts and peanut butter left over, so I gave a bag or bottle to homeless people as I saw them. I just gave out the last jar of peanut butter on Sat. (along with a couple of plastic spoons) to a homeless person and am down to only 1 bag of pecans for the next. When my cats die, I will probably give the leftover food to homeless kitties.

That's lovely. Great ideas there. Our world would be a different place if we all gave (even our leftovers) to those in need.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    July Goal: 85 mile (yeah, a REAL goal!)

7/1 3.75
    7/2 3.52
    7/3 rest
    7/4 3.26
    7/5 5.18
    7/6 snorkel 3.5 hours
    7/7 3.40
    7/8 6.00
    7/9 anniversary wine and dine
    7/10 4.23
    7/11 3.25
    7/12 rest
    7/13 4.88
    7/14 3.25
    7/15 painted bridge
    7/16 6.50
    7/17 4.25
    7/18 snorkel 3 hours
    7/19 3.53
    7/20 4.36
    7/21 rest
    7/22 3.61
    7/23 MIKADO! (got a last minute invite-it was fabulous!)
    7/24 5.10

Total 68.07

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png
    upcoming races:
    Fun in the Sun Virtual 10k 6/28/17
    Race to Cure Sarcoma Month of July
    Volcano Rainforest Runs 10k 8/19
    BlockThe Sun Run 5k Oct 14 (https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017) (physical and virtual options available)
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Going for a short trip so would be MIA for three days. Will try to run there also if rain allowed. It's a hill station so lots of walking and hiking is expected. Have a great week everyone.

July Running Challenge
    Goal: 100 km
    Ran: 80/100

25/7/17 Run 7 km (80)
    24/7/17 Run 10.2 km
    23/7/17 Unplanned rest day
    22/7/17 Rest day
    21/7/17 Run 3 km (63)
    20/7/17 Run 3 km (60)
    19/7/17 Run 5 km (57)
    17/7/17 Run 8 km (52)
    15/7/17 Run 7 km (44)
    14/7/17 Rest Day Walk 7 km
    13/7/17 Run 8 km walk 5 km (37)
    12/7/17 Run 7 km walk 5 km
    11/7/17 Run 8 km Walk 6 km (21)
    10/7/17 Walk 5 km
    9/7/17 Run 7 km (14)
    8/7/17 walk 2km
    7/7/17 Walk 4 km
    6/7/17 (Sick)Rest day
    5/7/17 Run 7 km + Yoga
    4/7/17 SL+ Walk 15 km
    3/7/17 Walk 7 km
    1/7/17 walk 8 km

SL : Strong lift
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    3.8 on elliptical all zone 2.

exercise.png

Trying for 7 easy miles tomorrow.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    @PastorVincent and @seanevan10 - if you are looking for shoes with a wider toe box you might check out Altra and Topo. Both are known for having a more natural fit that allows your toes to splay out naturally. I have had some issues with the sizing of Altras to get the right size. Topos are a spinoff from Vibram and I love them. Actually my favorite is Skora (also wide toe box) but they have had some stock issues and don't expect to have more until this fall. I like the fit of all 3 of these better than my wide width New Balance.

Not seen those brands in stores. I will have to keep an eye out for them. I have about 400 miles on my current shoes so probably should be thinking about new ones at some point. I really dislike shoe shopping though, so normally just re-order the last pair I got until they stop making them. The process starts a new.
  • PastorVincent
    shanaber wrote: »
    My official time was almost 45 mins off my best time, ugh, I did not expect to come close to a PR but it was much worse than I expected. I am sure though that a good portion of it was the time spent waiting for the bathroom as well as walking some of the hills. There is one thing that confuses me though on the official time and this is the first time I have had it happen. I started my app well before the actual race start and stopped it well after the end and it still had me time a full 11 mins faster than the official time and my watch which was even faster because it pauses if I stop for longer than 30secs (app doesn't pause). Maybe someone can explain it? My husband did say that when he was watching me on the race app they were reporting problems with the times so maybe it was an issue on their end. It really doesn’t impact me in any way other than maybe my pride.

Congrats on finishing despite conditions!

If your app does not auto-pause (are you sure? Strava, RunKeeper, and many others do. I turn this feature off) then I would assume what your app recorded was correct. I mean you likely have been using it a while now and should have a good idea if it is accurate right? If it is accurate, it is more sensible to trust the known tool than the unknown tool. IMO.

Also, do not forget there are TWO different times when you run at the non-competitive level. There is CHIP time and GUN time.

Gun time - how long it took you to finish the race based on the official start of the race. So if the race started at 7 am, and you finished at noon, your time is 5 hours.

Chip Time - how long it took you to make it from start to finish. So if the official start time was 7 am but you did not cross the start line until 7:45 am and finished at noon, then your chip time is 4 hours and 15 minutes.

Your watch and app measure CHIP TIME not GUN TIME.
  • PastorVincent
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    I still don't like having to mow the lawn every 3 to 5 days, but I'm beginning to see some benefits to having a lot of rain in July.

This is why I have a teenage son. :D

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    July 2: C25K W7D3 - 2.0 miles running (25 min), 4.2 miles total
    July 4: C25K W8D1 - 2.4 miles running (30 min), 4.2 miles total
    July 6: C25K W8D2 - 2.3 miles running (28 minutes), 4.2 miles total
    July 8: C25K W8D3 - 2.4 miles running (30 min), 4.2 miles total
    July 10: 2.4 miles running (31 min), 4.2 total
    July 12: 2.5 miles running (32 min), 4.2 total
    July 14: 2.7 miles running (34 min), 4.2 total
    July 16: 3.1 miles running (49 min), 4.2 total
    July 18: 3.2 miles running (44 min), 4.2 total
    July 20: 3.3 miles running (40 min), 4.2 total
    July 22: 3.4 miles running (47 min), 4.2 total
    July 25: 3.6 miles running (46 min), 4.2 total

Totals: 37.3/25 and 50.4/25

Had a weird sharp pain in my right foot Sunday morning, then was up late Sunday night, so took an extra rest day. I had a little crampy feeling in my right foot at about the first mile mark, but all was well after that.

This distance is the farthest I can go without both increasing time and changing route (crossing a mile road or doubling back).
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    @shanaber Great race report and congrats on running the half in those conditions.

@MobyCarp "I visualized holding a potato chip, just like folks here recommended. Didn't work to well. My imaginary potato chips got soggy." - that line cracked me up!

An easy ten today...managed to keep the heart rate down, so it was a nice slow steady-paced run, initially by myself but the last five miles with the group on their regular route. They really need to consider changing things up a little, as some are complaining about being bored with the run (they run it Mon-Thurs) and are starting to miss runs because it's getting stale for them. I know it would bore me to tears if I ran it every day as my only run. But others in the group like it because the route consists of a three-mile loop and a two-mile loop, and so they can call it a day after running the first loop if they feel like doing just the three miles. One of these nights I may try and plan alternative routes for them that provide the same options.

In other news, the Batman shoes are slated to arrive tomorrow...just in time really, as my current pair have 460 miles on them - good for a few more runs, but not too much more.

05 - 13.56
    06 - 9.72
    07 - 22.03
    10 - 13.55
    11 - 9.76
    12 - 13.11
    13 - 9.57
    17 - 13.56
    18 - 9.88
    19 - 13.80
    20 - 10.58
    21 - 24.89
    23 - 5.69
    24 - 13.52
    25 - 10.09

Total: 193.31 / 250 miles
  • PastorVincent
    garygse wrote: »
    One of these nights I may try and plan alternative routes for them that provide the same options.

Is the group big enough to split? You could take the bored runners on a separate route. Then everyone would have 2 choices.
  • PastorVincent
    In other news, the Batman shoes are slated to arrive tomorrow...just in time really, as my current pair have 460 miles on them - good for a few more runs, but not too much more.

What is the basic rule on shoe mileage? My NB's just crossed 400, and like 85% of those miles are street miles. I have never tracked mileage on shoes before, usually, wait till they start giving blisters/etc and then replace them. But be nice to replace them just before that stage...
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member

What is the basic rule on shoe mileage? My NB's just crossed 400, and like 85% of those miles are street miles. I have never tracked mileage on shoes before, usually, wait till they start giving blisters/etc and then replace them. But be nice to replace them just before that stage...

I believe the generally accepted advice on this is 300-500 miles, depending on shoe and wear.
  • PastorVincent
    Yay @KatieJane83 you did it and did not die, so that is a success! :) Sorry you are not feeling well :(
  • garygse
    Is the group big enough to split? You could take the bored runners on a separate route. Then everyone would have 2 choices.
    Yeah, I may plot out a five-mile loop and offer to run that with any that want a change of scenery. Those that are complaining usually run both loops anyway, so a bigger loop allows for more variety.

Each shoe is different...I think the Vomeros can go beyond 500 miles and still perform well, but I don't want to risk any injury this deep into marathon training. Previously, I used to run and walk in the same shoes, and so I would put well in excess of 800 miles on them...but I developed some aches and pains, and whether that was due to me overtraining, or the mileage on the boots, or both, is anyone's guess. So now I have pairs that are only used for running, and when they get to 500 miles, I repurpose them as general everyday shoes and start running in a fresh pair.

As I said earlier, I've only ever worn Vomeros, and each shoe's life-span is different, but @KatieJane83 is right in that the general rule is anywhere from 350-500 miles, which is a pretty large range. Waiting until you have blisters is probably leaving things a little too late though, in my opinion.

• garygse
    So this morning my Garmin came back to life, it must have heard me telling Skip it had been replaced. I said to Skip should I return the 235 when it comes it was so much money. She said "Momma you never spend money on yourself, you've been looking at that watch for a long time keep it". Right on little girl so I am!
    That's what I tell myself all the time (well, except for the 'Momma' part)...and then I think about all the things that I've bought myself and realize that that's not exactly true. But it's ok, by that point I've usually already clicked the order button.