July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Forgot my watch. That means if I run today it does not even matter! :cry: :wink:

Um... use your phone... or go old school and just run for the sake of it

Blasphemy! :lol:

I just run a route I've run before. Luckily, I usually only run at one of 2 parks.
  • Elise4270
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

My mojo has not been very good lately. I need to get my butt in gear.

Same here. I'm struggling with tiredness. I'm hoping if I regularly take my vitamins it'll pass quickly.

I think I'm the only runner, I know of locally, that is still fighting the heat. Everyone else has been "ahh it's not so bad now that the humidity has dropped". I can't tell.
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    1/7-4.7 Miles
    2/7-6.8
    3/7-REST
    4/7-2.8
    5/7-3
    6/7-REST
    7/7-3.1
    8/7-REST
    9/7-4.8
    10/7-3.1
    11/7-4
    12/7-3.5
    13/7-4.9
    14/7-REST
    15/7-6.8
    16/7-3.1
    17/7-3.6
    18/7-REST
    19/7-2.1
    20/7-5.4
    21/7-4.2
    22/7-2.5
    23/7-8.2
    24/7-REST
    25/7-5.4
    26/7-3.1
    27/7-REST
    Total -88.1/100
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I just run a route I've run before. Luckily, I usually only run at one of 2 parks.

Must be nice. I am not capable of that level of detail, even if it is the same location(normally is), I start and stop at different places, miss turns and stuff. Typically when I leave on a run it is "I have to be back by X time" not "I have to X miles" or what ever. I just crank an audio book and go. When I run out of time (ugh, the puns) I stop running. :smiley:

I am no @MobyCarp after all! :lol:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Ugh. Forgot my watch. That means if I run today it does not even matter! :cry: :wink:

Um... use your phone... or go old school and just run for the sake of it

Blasphemy! :lol:

You're the pastor... you would know :D
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    UGH. Forcast for my next race tomorrow...

"Thunderstorms likely. Low near 60F. Winds NE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 100%. Rainfall may reach one inch."

So much for a PR attempt. :cry:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

"Thunderstorms likely. Low near 60F. Winds NE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 100%. Rainfall may reach one inch."

Um.... I set a PR last year in a snow storm when it was -1.... heavy rain isn't bad..... thunderstorms are only bad if they cancel the race....you can do it!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

The cooling effect of rain... as long as it isn't on dirt/mud trails, that's a good thing.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

The cooling effect of rain... as long as it isn't on dirt/mud trails, that's a good thing.

Goes with the incentive to go fast and dodge the lightning? :smiley:
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Goes with the incentive to go fast and dodge the lightning? :smiley:

You know what they say about your odds of getting struck by lightning... buy a lottery ticket if you do?

Maybe this is because I'm short, but when there are buildings, trees, or anything else, I don't worry about lightning. The only time lightning affected outdoor plans (aside from others making the decision) was once when I was hiking above tree line. It was a day hike and I might have continued further if not for lightning but as soon as I got past trees, I decided it was time to turn around because I was the highest thing around.
  • Elise4270
    Options

That doesn't sound so bad. I bet you pr easily in those conditions. I'll can trade you. 95 tomorrow with a 20% chance of rain 5 mph wind.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    5.1 miles of hill repeats. The training called for 10 repeats of 30 seconds but I realized this after doing the first for 1 minute. I altered the plan by alternating 1 min for the first and 30 second for the next. It made it easier to keep track of how many I did and I don't think it changed the effect of the train by much. Pace for the repeats was good. I added an extra 1/2 mile to the cool down just to increase my mileage for the week. Zones looked ok considering that in a 30 second zone 5 run your probably not going to see a zone 5 heart rate unless its a minor peak at the end. Trying for a 7 mile recovery run tomorrow. If the weather is uncooperative, I'll cross-train on the treadmill instead.

exercise.png
  • Arctic_Chick
    Arctic_Chick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hopped on another hotel treadmill... 3.25 miles

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @juliet3455 I too have considered the TM with the heat. I'm not sure my cats would join me though. :smiley:
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @RespectTheKitty you mention wanting to eat endlessly and "cravings". Are you wanting to eat something specific ad nauseum or is it just want to eat anything and everything? If it's specific you have a couple of avenues of recourse. Personally I was a complete *kitten* around all the sweet things- in the end keto was the answer to shutting that down (and yes I fully expect someone to hit the woo button on me now :D ).

Also, I'm not sure how this would couple with your current medication or whatnot, but I'm on high dose Bupropion XL for my OCD and that also shuts down a lot of my interest in eating (I just have to take it at night as it is a little "speedy"). Might be worth asking your GP about?]

My main issues are:

1. Cravings for sweets/carbs, especially at night
    2. Waking up in the middle of the night to eat (anything goes then, whatever is in the kitchen)

I've tried Bupropion in the past but is exacerbates my anxiety. When I see my doctor I'm going to ask about Topamax, which is another appetite killer.

Starring this weekend (when I go grocery shopping), I'm going to try eating lower carb and no sugar. That helped me quite a bit the last time I was having issues with cravings.

ETA - As far as waking up in the middle of the night, I've tried just about every prescription and OTC sleep aid out there with no luck. Not sure what to do about that.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    7/1 4mi 39:56min
    7/2 rest
    7/3 6mi 56:06min
    7/4 7mi 67:36min
    7/5 rest
    7/6 10mi 1:38:49min
    7/7 5mi 47:19min
    7/9 4mi 38:35min
    7/10 rest
    7/11 6mi 57:54min
    7/12 4mi 37:22min
    7/13 rest
    7/14 6mi 58:45min
    7/15 5mi 48:28min
    7/16 10mi 1:41:20min
    7/17 rest
    7/18 6mi 57:17min
    7/19 7mi 67:29min
    7/20 rest
    7/21 6mi 57:11min
    7/22 4mi 37:16min
    7/23 10mi 1:39:53min
    7/24 rest
    7/25 6mi 56:58min
    7/26 5mi 48:29min
    7/27 rest
    7/28 6mi 54:18min

Holy cow, that's the fastest pace I've run in a LONG time! It was 72 degrees and it didn't feel humid at all, it felt great! I'm hoping this bodes well for the fall when the cool weather returns. I feel like I've been getting slower and slower as the months go on. Well, since I've started training for half marathon distance back in March.

I'm contemplating the weather this weekend and it's supposed to be rainy Friday, Saturday, and Sunday... I'm thinking I'll run another 6 miles this afternoon to get my "long run" in today. I should have woken up earlier and knocked it all out this morning, but oh well. I'm not sure how effective splitting up a long run is, but it will have to do this week. Tomorrow I'll run 5 in between the rain and Saturday I'll run 6. At least if it's really stormy, it's not horrible to do 5 or 6 miles on the treadmill... well, it's horrible, but doable. :smile: