July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @shanaber I realized 99.31% of us are some sort of educated nerd. I just wish I was a classy computer nerd. (Just a lowly chemist nerd).

I did do a bit of programming yesterday. Sort of maybe.... Wrote some code to pull charts from software. Maybe I should take some nerdy classes.

Hey, it might help me "run" better! :lol:
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Survey Questions:

(I don't actually race so all these are just based off of general running)

Favorite season to run: Summer - I actually love the brutality of the heat, I plan mid day runs in the summer
    Time of day to run: Early morning (except for my mid day summer runs, I really dislike running in the evenings)
    Favorite distance: HM range although I'm still working my way up to longer ones
    Where to run: Mountain trails, urban road/sidewalk (I try to stay off the roads), paved paths
    What to carry: Phone, watch, water (hydration pack or bottle depending on distance), sunglasses, hat - oddly enough I never have ID on me and I've never thought about that, maybe I should start carrying some
    Who to run with: Self
    Motivation to start: To eat all the nomz
    Motivation to keep running: See above
    Describe self: Recreational runner - I usually go with a lifter with a running problem
    What holidays do you run on: Any and all
    Why would you skip an outdoor run: Sick or injured, I live in AZ it doesn't get cold/icy here and I like the heat.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    That said it is the original - not the 2.

Oh, that explains a lot. The Series 2 has a much bigger battery and other improvements. I never used the earlier models so can not comment on them. For me, the watch was not interesting until the Series 2.
    @pastorvincent I like the looks of the Apple watch, do you have problems hitting the touch screen? Because I’m 1,000 kinds of weird half the time touch screens not realize I’m touching them.

Durring a normal day? It works fine, but I do find that if I am running hard touch screens, in general, can be tough to use. I do not know if that is because of the sweat or what, they just fail me. In fact, with my phone, I often have to use Siri to contorl it during a run sometimes. I do find if I dry off the screen and my hands they work better. That being said the Watch seems much more tolerant than the phone.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 Ha, I wish. I only have three pairs of running shoes. My house (and closets) are small. My watch collection took me 14 years to grow to three. I've gotten a new one every seven years, whether I need it or not.

July 28: 3.07 recovery run/walk

MTD: 57.92 / 75 km
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @pastorvincent I like the looks of the Apple watch, do you have problems hitting the touch screen? Because I’m 1,000 kinds of weird half the time touch screens not realize I’m touching them.

Durring a normal day? It works fine, but I do find that if I am running hard touch screens, in general, can be tough to use. I do not know if that is because of the sweat or what, they just fail me. In fact, with my phone, I often have to use Siri to contorl it during a run sometimes. I do find if I dry off the screen and my hands they work better. That being said the Watch seems much more tolerant than the phone.

@pastorvincent sometimes I have to rub my finger on my leg to warm it up so the screen detects me. I was finger printed once and they used a scanner, took like 5 tries to finally see my prints. Figured that might be good if I decide on a life of crime.

• PastorVincent
    Options

@pastorvincent sometimes I have to rub my finger on my leg to warm it up so the screen detects me. I was finger printed once and they used a scanner, took like 5 tries to finally see my prints. Figured that might be good if I decide on a life of crime.

Best Buy, and Dicks Sporting Goods, and Apple Stores all have demo units out to play with. Might want to just try one to be sure first.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 and @MobyCarp Ha, love those name suggestions...aaaaaand now I'm torn.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I also like the name Sir Loin, but I don't have any other pigs. I sense a trip to Toys R Us coming up.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent please tell your wife soon. Not the day before or day of.... :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @PastorVincent please tell your wife soon. Not the day before or day of.... :)

I PLAN to tell her today when she gets home. Whether or not I remember is whole other issue. :lol:
  • Elise4270
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    I also like the name Sir Loin, but I don't have any other pigs. I sense a trip to Toys R Us coming up.

LOL! Haim Loin!!! I think I gotta get one now!
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

7/3: 8.1k -easy run-
    7/4: 12.6k -intervals-
    7/6: 10.8k -2.5k w/u+8.3k progressive running-
    7/8: 8.5k -recovery after 2.2k swimming-
    7/9: 15.1k -Long run-
    7/10: -strength training-
    7/11: 10.7k -intervals-
    7/12: rest day due to terrible headache
    7/14: 13k -2.6k w/u, 8k Tempo, 2.4k c/d-
    7/15: 7.3k -Easy running-
    7/17: 5.1k -Urban run-
    7/18: 14k -w/u+Tempo-
    7/22: 16.8k -Long Run-
    7/23: 7.2k -Easy, hills-
    7/26: 9.4k -Recovery run-
    7/27: 9.9k -wu/Tempo/cd-
    7/28: 6.6k -Recovery/last shake out before Aquathlon race-

155.1k/140k

Aquathlon race is tomorrow! I need all the luck and rest I can get, plus there is an issue of jellyfish here, the sea is full so I don't know how the 1k swim course will go. Lets hope I will not have any visitors in front of me...

Stay hydrated!

Upcoming races:
    7/29: 4th Nea Peramos Aquathlon
    9/16: 4th Kavala Night City Run 10k
    9/24: Xiropotamos Trail 2017 11k
    10/1: Voreia Sirris Challenge 23k
    10/15: Nestos Trail VFTU 10k
    11/26: 4th Democritus Half Marathon
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 I was looking at that recently too, but never thinking it was realistic to actually run that... especially since I would have to carry plenty of gear and food because that would take several days.

Having said that, I keep thinking I should take a backpacking trip to Death Valley. The trailhead I would want to start/end (and many trailheads, in fact, in that park) takes a high-clearance (they say minimum 8 inch ground clearance), 4-wheel-drive vehicle for the last 4 miles (I'm not sure whether I can legally park and walk those 4 miles instead). I don't have such a vehicle, and not convinced that renting one is cost effective when I plan to just park it for a few days. In addition, I've heard that most rental agreements prohibit taking the vehicle off of a paved roadway.

Another idea is to find someone with such a vehicle to come with me... that sounds more difficult than finding a place to rent one that will allow it to be used on those roads. The easiest idea I've had so far is to get someone to go with me and share the cost, which makes it more likely to be cost effective (especially if there are 3 or 4 of us).
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Watch tan lines... heh I guess I am a bit silly about that as I alternate wrists each run to prevent that. :)

Heh, and here I'm happy when I get a deep runners watch tan.

Let's see you beat this

kqipuy97zgfp.jpg
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Watch tan lines... heh I guess I am a bit silly about that as I alternate wrists each run to prevent that. :)

Heh, and here I'm happy when I get a deep runners watch tan.

Let's see you beat this

kqipuy97zgfp.jpg

Where's your pig?