What country would you most like to visit, and why?

Options
124»

Replies

• MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    Iceland just because seeing the northern lights is on my bucket list. I'd absolutely love to see them in all their glory someday

Same here! Was planning to go this month but it looks as though it's not to be! :cry:

Lots of places in the U.S I'd like to visit. Canada is at top of my list.

You two.. wait 2-3 years. Iceland is expensive AF right now and it's effecting our tourism. We hardly have any bookings for next year cause the agencies we work closely with have had enough. Just a 2 hour whale watching tour costs almost 250 $

The prices should go down in a few years. Just wait a little.

Thank you for this insight, sweets. I must admit some of the costs for excursions were a little eye watering. I can wait, it'll be worth it. :smile:

you can see them in Norway, Finland and Scotland too so shop around.
  • BoosDimples
    BoosDimples Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know. But the Blue Lagoon needs to be done, IMO. :smile:
  • BoosDimples
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Iceland just because seeing the northern lights is on my bucket list. I'd absolutely love to see them in all their glory someday

Same here! Was planning to go this month but it looks as though it's not to be! :cry:

You two.. wait 2-3 years. Iceland is expensive AF right now and it's effecting our tourism. We hardly have any bookings for next year cause the agencies we work closely with have had enough. Just a 2 hour whale watching tour costs almost 250 $

Thank you for this insight, sweets. I must admit some of the costs for excursions were a little eye watering. I can wait, it'll be worth it. :smile:

It will. Iceland is gorgeous but paying 410 per person for walking inside a volcano or 100-250 per person for a hotel room... now that's a lot of money. And shopping groceries in the tourist area is horrible. The shop owners will change the prices and charge tourist more when it's tourist season and then lower the prices when they leave the country.

Thanks, again. Local input is much appreciated and very helpful. Hostelling seems very popular from what I've read online. Do you have any views/experience on whether it's worth going that route?
  • Donnelly1979
    Donnelly1979 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Scotland. Live here! :)
  • Donnelly1979
    Donnelly1979 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Scotland for me too, also Germany and definitely Canada. I have visited all three already but was too young to remember much! While a massive generalization, the people seem awesome and largely liberal minded like me! (Speaking to you Germany and your recent marriage equality amendment!)

Good choice, I live in Glasgow in Scotland. :)
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    I'd revisit/visit most Europe because of the amount of history to see.

America for the big cities (just to check it off my list) and some of the nature (GC, NF etc)
    Canada again for nature.

New Zealand for the stunning scenery, variation & culture, Australia bores me, the only thing id remotely consider is the reef.

India meh, maybe, same goes for Nepal and some of China. Japan if id didn't creep me out occasionally!

Africa doesn't interest me at all. A safari if it was done right then yeah i'd check that out.

I did plan a motorcycle tour of Europe but that wont happen for a while now!
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I spent part of my childhood living in Kuwait, I'd love to go back there now to see how it's all changed. If I had to choose a place I'd never been before, I'd pick Japan, Iceland, or the Seychelles.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Just returned from a long trip in Europe. The travel bug has bit me. Want to visit Greece, Turkey, Spain, Italy (again) and also Japan, China, Thailand...the lost goes on. Also Brazil, Chile, Argentina.
  • jacquih2981
    jacquih2981 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    so many places, so little time. And money. And annual leave.

The next trip is Australia and we will Fly to Sydney for a few days then down to Melbourne to meet friends and relatives, then fly to Adelaide, pick up the train to Perth and see more friends and relatives

I would love to fly into Quito in Ecuador and walk down the Patagonias into Chile, also I want to go to Alaska and Mongolia.

I like to be able to get away from people so like places slightly isolated with no computers, no mobiles (or limited) with far ranging views. At home I feel rigid and closed in with no room to breathe so my holidays are the opportunity to catch some rest. My profile pic was taken when we were snow shoeing in the mountains above Whitehorse in Canada on our honeymoon.
  • BoosDimples
    Options

It will. Iceland is gorgeous but paying 410 per person for walking inside a volcano or 100-250 per person for a hotel room... now that's a lot of money. And shopping groceries in the tourist area is horrible. The shop owners will change the prices and charge tourist more when it's tourist season and then lower the prices when they leave the country.

Thanks, again. Local input is much appreciated and very helpful. Hostelling seems very popular from what I've read online. Do you have any views/experience on whether it's worth going that route?

The Hostels here are very nice and way cheaper then the hotels. I'd go for one of those or even a tent. Iceland is a very save place so you can camp all around it without worrying about evil people or dangerous animals.

Only thing you've gotta watch out for is nature.

People see the hot springs wile driving around the country and stop to get out of the car. They're usually not aware of how hot the water is but it's basically boiling and the earth around them isn't safe to step on. So people fall into a boiling pot of water at least a few times per summer. Then there are the Glaciers, the Mountains, the sea and the lakes and rivers and the caves the highlands :sweat:

People in Iceland = Safe
    Nature = Trying to kill you

So when you do come over be sure you're playing it save :) You can do almost anything as long as you know what you're doing. Heck, my brother roasted marshmallows and hot dogs over flowing magma from Eyjafjallajökull.

Thank you very much for your help! Food for thought! :smiley:
  • lvmycats
    lvmycats Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The #1 country I want to visit is Nigeria. I really like Nigerian music, some Nollywood films and want to visit Lagos island. I'm excited about the ongoing development taking place, but wouldn't want to live there :#

The other places I want to visit are: Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, Galapagos Islands, and Mongolia.

I already lived in the U.S.A. (I'm American lol), Chile, Japan, Hong Kong, and am moving to England soon for graduate school. I haven't traveled much despite moving abroad quite a bit, outside of Mexico, Canada, Macau, and China (less than 1 week in each of these countries).

Honestly, I prefer living in a huge city rather than traveling because there are always things to do, and you don't have to arrange so many things (flights, accommodations, what to see etc). :s

I'd like to permanently move to China (Shenzhen, Shanghai, Beijing), Hong Kong, Tokyo/Osaka, Japan, or Taipei, Taiwan. I'm planning on applying for work in these countries immediately following my graduation. :D
  • BrendanMcGroarty
    BrendanMcGroarty Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Jerusalem above all, because of my faith and the layers of history there. Also Ethiopia for history and food. I could spend all day in ruins.