Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you think that gluten, lactose, or {insert supposed food intolerance here} is really just a fad?

Options

Replies

• JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    In spite of your title, it seems you are very specifically bashing people who claim gluten intolerance without a doctor's diagnosis, apparently because a woman at work annoys you. Nice. You do realize the incidence of diagnosed celiac disease/gluten-intolerance has risen because there is more awareness of the symptoms and genetic links to auto-immune diseases in general. People with diagnosed family members often (correctly) self-diagnose, and the disease is very often NOT discovered at a very early age and is more often than not diagnosed in adults. And just wow, I'm so impressed at how you know that gluten sensitivity doesn't exist, so everyone who experiences symptoms without an actual doctor-certified celiac diagnoses is just kidding themselves. I'm interested in where you got your medical degree - could you share?

Ok, so to address your barrage of statements, here goes:

Odd you should mention more "awareness" as this is actually part of the problem, since it has lead to many people improperly self diagnosing themselves for whatever reason. You should investigate the acronym NOCEBO. It's a well documented medical principal similar to the placebo effect in the medical literature and it's especially pertains to people who claim NCGS.

The study I mentioned above conducted by Dr. Gibson and several other researchers who "discovered" NCGS attacked the hypothesis quite throughly after it became a worldwide phenomenon. Aside from using typical controls, he also made certain other key variables were accounted for.

1) Subjects were given every single meal for the duration of the study. 2) Any other potential causes of bad stomach symptoms were removed from the diet (lactose from milk, for example). 3) Peter collected nine days worth of urine and fecal matter for microbiological analysis to rule out other potential causes.

An interesting facet of the research which touches on your point is that Gluten was proven as a NOCEBO by the researchers over the course of the clinical trials. This was done in a simple but novel fashion: people who did not take gluten but thought they were began to report symptoms. This was the straw that broke the camels for any scientific validity for the people claiming NGCS. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23648697

Also, checking PubMed or Medline will yield you the phonebook of similar research.

To offer some pertinent quotes from the paper:

“Non-Celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS), occurring in patients without Celiac disease yet whose gastrointestinal symptoms improve on a gluten-free diet (GFD), is largely a self-reported diagnosis and would appear to be very common.”

“There is definitely something going on, but true NCGS may only affect a very small number of people and may affect more extra-intestinal symptoms than first thought. This will only be confirmed with an a more through understanding of gastrointestinal mechanism.”

For a more laymen's perspective, the NYT did a write up not long after the original paper was published, https://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/18/business/food-industry-wagers-big-on-gluten-free.html?_r=4
    Obviously when a discoverer of a supposed ailment recants and sees their error, it's fairly damning for it's continued proponents.

Now my personal opinion based on the currently available evidence is NGCS might very well exist, but it effects an infinitesimally small subset of the population. Nowhere enough to justify the trendiness is enjoys. If people want to waste their money on these products, be my guest. Who am I to stand it the way of commerce?
  • peckchris3267
    peckchris3267 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Only 1% of Americans have Celiac disease.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I do think there are probably a lot of people eating gluten free who might not need to. However, I don't think it's fair to say that some level of gluten sensitivity does not exist in some people who do not have celiac disease. And like others have mentioned, GI issues may be a clue.
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If products containing gluten are served as gluten free, that's a consumer and bad customer service issue NOT the fault of people who don't eat it.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Some people definitely don't understand real sensitivities and lay claim either because of junk science or just wanting a good excuse. On the other hand sensitivities really do exist. My husband, mother and several family members cannot enjoy a bowl if cereal with milk or an ice cream cone without suffering in the bathroom later. And I can't eat more than very small amounts of soy without having VERY painful stomach cramps for hours.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Thanks for all the thoughtful replies everyone. I received far more feedback on this thread than I could of hoped for.

I guess my key conclusions and takeaways on this subject based upon everything I have read are as follows:

1) NCGS might exist as a true medical reality. There is certianly not enough real data out there in the peer reviewed medical literature to say one way or another. The discoverer of the supposed condition has since recanted, as I highlighted previously.

2) If it does exist, it is an incredibly small percentage of the population. As a ballpark figure, for every 1 legitimate "sufferer" there are probably 50 that are either delusional or the victim of pop culture semantics and/or marketing and advertising.

3) Regardless of 1 and 2, there is some benefit to the phenomenon both in the form of economic development and product diversity available to the consumer.

I guess looking forward to the future, we are left to wonder "what's next"? Anyone have any thoughts? The whole GMO marketing seems to be gaining momentum, but I am sure it won't be long and there will be a new fad out there which manages to capture the public's imagination.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    If products containing gluten are served as gluten free, that's a consumer and bad customer service issue NOT the fault of people who don't eat it.

I never implied it was, but it is the fault of it being a fad blagged by gurus with a book to sell that people who don't need to eliminate it should eliminate it, and that in turn causes a somewhat casual attitude to labeling things "gluten free" sometimes.

People are easily misled by charlatans, and dishonest people take advantage of them, both the people perpetuating the fad, and the people supplying the goods that aren't up to snuff.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I think there is a common pattern with these subjects. The increases in the number of reported "cases" is partly due to increased awareness of the condition--which leads to improved identification of existing cases, and partly due to auto suggestion by people who have vague symptoms and think this new syndrome might be the explanation.