Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you think that gluten, lactose, or {insert supposed food intolerance here} is really just a fad?

Options

Replies

• lorriemb
    lorriemb Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think there has been an element of a fad to some of the claimed intolerance, however as someone who is lactose intolerant all the faddy people have opened up a huge amount of choice for me.

I am also hypothyroid so have to be careful how much Soya I have (interacts with my meds) so the choices of coconut and nut products is great.

I miss cheese on toast

Wait...what? I've been diagnosed hypo for almost 20 years...I wasn't advised about soy. Guess I need to educate myself.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    BabyBear76 wrote: »
    Unless you have Celiac disease; your body needs gluten. It's a mixture of two protiens types. Gluten free is actually unhealthy for the average person.
    I don't think I've ever heard of the body actually having a physiological need for gluten. What specifically does the body actually need that protein for?

It's two fold:
    1. Foods with gluten are typically high in dietary fiber. Low dietary fiber diets lead a myriad of problems, most commonly type 2 diabetes followed by heart disease.
    2. One of the major protiens in gluten are gliadins, which are monomeric. Which means they bind with other chemicals (read nutrients). Because of thier binding properties they bind with enzymes that resist decay in stomach acid: which means they act as a transport system for chemicals to the intestines (such as vitamins, minerals, various nutrients they body needs).

Low dietary fibre does not cause T2D and heart disease. Carnivorous cultures tend to be very low in T2D.
    This is why people with Celiac disease also have to take a lot of supplements; the lack of gluten means less nutrients make it to the intestines where they can be absorbed into the body.
    (I'm going to medical school at the moment, not a doctor though. I just have access too a myriad of information)

Many celiacs, before recovery, need supplementation because of the gliadin (gluten) that has destroyed their intestinal microvilli. No one needs gluten to help with nutrient absorption. I believe that is incorrect.

I'm not in med school, just someone who has read widely on the topic because I am a celiac. BTW, when diagnosed I had no nutrient deficiencies and when I recovered, I still had no nutrient deficiencies.

Low fiber increases the risk of colorectal cancer though.

I think I've seen that high fibre intake can lower your risk by about 20%. That would take it down from 5% to about 4%.

But that's beside the point and has nothing to do with celiac disease since a GF diet is not the same as a low fibre diet.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Unless you have Celiac disease; your body needs gluten. It's a mixture of two protiens types. Gluten free is actually unhealthy for the average person.
    I don't think I've ever heard of the body actually having a physiological need for gluten. What specifically does the body actually need that protein for?

It's two fold:
    1. Foods with gluten are typically high in dietary fiber. Low dietary fiber diets lead a myriad of problems, most commonly type 2 diabetes followed by heart disease.
    2. One of the major protiens in gluten are gliadins, which are monomeric. Which means they bind with other chemicals (read nutrients). Because of thier binding properties they bind with enzymes that resist decay in stomach acid: which means they act as a transport system for chemicals to the intestines (such as vitamins, minerals, various nutrients they body needs).

Low dietary fibre does not cause T2D and heart disease. Carnivorous cultures tend to be very low in T2D.
    This is why people with Celiac disease also have to take a lot of supplements; the lack of gluten means less nutrients make it to the intestines where they can be absorbed into the body.
    (I'm going to medical school at the moment, not a doctor though. I just have access too a myriad of information)

Many celiacs, before recovery, need supplementation because of the gliadin (gluten) that has destroyed their intestinal microvilli. No one needs gluten to help with nutrient absorption. I believe that is incorrect.

I'm not in med school, just someone who has read widely on the topic because I am a celiac. BTW, when diagnosed I had no nutrient deficiencies and when I recovered, I still had no nutrient deficiencies.

Low fiber increases the risk of colorectal cancer though.

I think I've seen that high fibre intake can lower your risk by about 20%. That would take it down from 5% to about 4%.

But that's beside the point and has nothing to do with celiac disease since a GF diet is not the same as a low fibre diet.

Oh I know. I was just randomly mentioning it. I was on a low residue diet for a few years before my proctocolectomy for Crohn's and recognize there are tons of non gluten containing fibrous foods.

• johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Enzymes are essential and work best in acidity.
    Wrong, each enzyme has its own optimal pH range, some alkaline, some acidic. For example, the pH range of trypsin is 4-11, otimal is about 8. Which is clearly not acidic. Alkaline phosphatase has an pH range of 7.5-9.5.
    One, Intrinsic Factor binds to and protects vit b 12 from the mouth to the duodenum because the b12 would be damaged by the acid conditions in the stomach.
    Wrong, Intrinstic factor is secreted by the parietal cells lining the stomach, so there is no way it can bind to b12 in the mouth. Haptocorrin binds to b12 in the mouth, not IF.
  • jacquih2981
    jacquih2981 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    lorriemb wrote: »
    I think there has been an element of a fad to some of the claimed intolerance, however as someone who is lactose intolerant all the faddy people have opened up a huge amount of choice for me.

I am also hypothyroid so have to be careful how much Soya I have (interacts with my meds) so the choices of coconut and nut products is great.

I miss cheese on toast

Wait...what? I've been diagnosed hypo for almost 20 years...I wasn't advised about soy. Guess I need to educate myself.

When I was diagnosed I read a lot to find out about my condition. I read that soy can suppress the thyroid and not to consume in large amounts. At the time I was vegetarian and consuming quite a bit. I haven't given soy up but I am conscious of how much I eat.
  • Dynamis600
    Dynamis600 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Don't call myself gluten intolerant and have only my experience to go off. When I eat wheat I bloat, feel foggy headed and sluggish, when I don't I feel so much better more energy. Dairy gives me itchy eyes and sore gut. Have tried this many times go off of these food for a while and then miss them and try them again only to get the same reaction. Having an autoimmune disease seems to make me sensitive to a lot of things. I ate Teff for the first time today was looking forward to a treat, 30 mins later had heart palpitations, headache, itchiness, joint pain. Was not expecting it to be, I was thinking of enjoying something different for a change so not psychosomatic.
  • curiouskate
    curiouskate Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Nope. I have celiac disease myself and I see a GI doctor. She says that almost everyone reports feeling better if they quit gluten, even if they don't have celiac. I'm really glad a lot of people want to be gluten free. It helps there to be more options for people with celiac. That's a win.

Also I live by the "Eyes on your own plate" rule. You eat what you want and leave everyone else alone. Nobody owes you an explanation for what they choose to eat. If it bothers you, that's your problem.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I forget what comedian said it but he said that the anti-gluten crowd has gotten so bad in California that you could rob a bank with piece of bread.

same thing happened with MSG years ago... not sure if many remember but EVERYBODY claimed sensitivity to it and blamed their weight and every health problem they imagined they had on it.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    I forget what comedian said it but he said that the anti-gluten crowd has gotten so bad in California that you could rob a bank with piece of bread.

same thing happened with MSG years ago... not sure if many remember but EVERYBODY claimed sensitivity to it and blamed their weight and every health problem they imagined they had on it.

Oh yes, it was so rampant I thought I must be so out of touch with my own body because it just didn't bother me, and I couldn't tell whether or not it was in my food.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I won't speak much on the gluten thing as a lot has already been said. I think a lot of comparisons can be made to lactose intolerance in that some peoples' bodies can handle it better than others, and it all exists on a spectrum. If someone feels better not eating gluten I couldn't care less how they choose to eat. I think it's important if a restaurant or food product advertises being gluten free that they not take chances with assuming people are lying/being honest and just take the high road. I know nobody appreciates the inappropriate coopting of celiac disease - my FIL has it and it is a serious and life changing illness that goes far beyond having some discomfort after consuming gluten. I think it's important to distinguish between simple digestive intolerance and the inflammatory, damaging celiac response.

RE: lactose intolerance - while a lot of people probably aren't fully intolerant, it is pretty normal to develop a bit of intolerance as we age and as our lactose consumption goes down. Certain populations are more likely to be intolerant to begin with, and many people age out of their tolerance.

Groups that tend to tolerate lactose the best are those that have historically relied heavily on milk as a part of their diet. Personally I come from a dairy farming family and never had problems with it as a kid/teenager. My mom purchases massive amounts of dairy products, and they're a large part of why I gained so much weight when I was younger. When I moved away from home I drank/ate less milk products while losing weight. Over time I noticed I can't handle it like I used to. If I drink lactose free milk I have no problems. I'm definitely not outright lactose intolerant, but the GI discomfort that comes with a bowl of cereal or glass of milk is enough to keep me mostly away.
  • hannamarie0098
    hannamarie0098 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    A lot of people don't realise that there are other components in wheat that can cause gut issues- fructans for instance can contribute to IBS. I wonder if lots of the self proclaimed gluten intolerant are actually just suffering with IBS?
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's lactose, casein, or something else, but dairy really messes up my tummy. It also makes me break out and my face, chest, and upper arms will look red and ruddy.
    So I completely believe in that intolerance. I can't speak for the others because I do not have other issues/allergies/intolerances.
  • matti422
    matti422 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    I think there are people with eating disorders who claim to be allergic/intolerant to a myriad of foods, this gives them the perfect excuse to refuse to eat many foods.

As a recently diagnosed celiac, I would also note that not everyone has gastric issues. My symptoms include /weeks/ of joint and muscle pain and weakness - it presents like rheumatoid arthritis or lupus. And you know what? It means I've basically been forced to have an eating disorder. I travel a lot for business and actually have to take an anti-anxiety medication to go out to new restaurants. So, I might be annoying you by peppering the waitress with questions or simply not eating at the business dinner, but I'm doing it because my health is more important than your embarrassment.
  • mph323
    Options
    matti422 wrote: »
    I think there are people with eating disorders who claim to be allergic/intolerant to a myriad of foods, this gives them the perfect excuse to refuse to eat many foods.

As a recently diagnosed celiac, I would also note that not everyone has gastric issues. My symptoms include /weeks/ of joint and muscle pain and weakness - it presents like rheumatoid arthritis or lupus. And you know what? It means I've basically been forced to have an eating disorder. I travel a lot for business and actually have to take an anti-anxiety medication to go out to new restaurants. So, I might be annoying you by peppering the waitress with questions or simply not eating at the business dinner, but I'm doing it because my health is more important than your embarrassment.

This isn't my quote.
  • mph323
    Options
    » show previous quotes

Matt422, this isn't my quote.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Not all milk is a2 in Europe. There are 4 types of casein, 1, 2, 3, and 4. Type 1 is the dominant casein in most bovine milks. Types 3, and 4 are present but not in significant amounts. Goat milk is type 2 dominant as are generally Jersey and Guernsey cows. These and bovine type 2 casein herds were kept in isolation by circumstances, as in being on an island without other inputs. A2 herds now have to be tested individually in order to identify their status because of cross breading in the not too distant past.

Goat milk is most like human milk being as said previously it is type two dominant. It is highly unlikely that a human will suddenly become reactive to type 2. It has been found that people who are able to have goat or type two casein specified are better able to digest the lactose because the body is no longer stressed by the type one.

Also a cow is wanting her calf to make 1000lb a goat kid starts at a similar size to a regular baby and the adult weight is also similar. Bovine milk contains more growth hormone!

BTW casein intolerance is far more common than lactose!
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    The study you posted is interesting. And I completely agree that science knows very little about celiac disease and foods affect autoimmune issues. My major symptom was arthritis - I'd lose the ability to use scissors, or raise my arms above my shoulders, for weeks to months at a time a few times per year. Yeah, I got stomach aches after eating and a lot of migraines, but I could still function with those. Those were the minor symptoms. The obvious symptoms.

Yeah, I don't think people often get just how much celiac disease actually impacts. And how much of that has barely been researched, too. Like, there was a little study a while back that found that the majority of celiacs eating gluten had low blood flow to the brain, while those who had gone gluten free and the non-celiacs did not. (this one - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14984816 )

We have no research that tells us why the heck this would happen. There's been no follow up studies to say if this happens only after prolonged gluten exposure, or if cheating once could cause this, too. Or if a larger participant group might show that the impact is not as large (it's a small study).

I wish more doctors talked to their patients about this, so they understood too - my father's didn't, so he keeps thinking that the only effects are his gut and feeling tired. He cheats.

I have gut issues, plus the inflammation, plus huge neurological effects that continue on for months if I get as much as contamination so small I can't even see it. Plus another condition that the inflammation sets off, too, so I really 'feel' all the extra impact. I can't fool myself it's not happening, you know?
    ... the celiac who cheats on purpose. I just wish they would tell no one that they are celiac because it makes others take our food safety much less seriously. Joe Schmoe ate their stuffing because it was a holiday, but I won't even eat the stuffed bird? Somehow it ends up that I'm the one who they would roll their eyes at and not the cheater, and now it is that much harder to eat somewhere else besides home.

I can appreciate that sentiment, but at the same time...I think I get more annoyed at the people who roll their eyes. Mostly because I think otherwise, what we're saying is that people have to be 'perfect' for others in their 'group' to be treated with any respect or belief, you know? And I don't personally think that we all need to be perfect for people to treat each other with respect, or to treat people like they are not liars or hypochondriacs.

Like, if a few people on a diet to lose weight happen to cheat one day, most of us don't assume, then, that they're not 'really' on that diet. We assume that had a moment of weakness. If they do it a lot, we might assume that particular PERSON is not real good at dieting, but wouldn't necessarily assume it applies to everyone. If we see a LOT of people doing it, we might assume that a lot of dieters have a moment of weakness...not that it means all people who are strict about their diet are faking it, you know?

To do otherwise reflects more on the person making the assumptions, and treating the people around them poorly, than it does on the person who is on the diet, IMHO.

Although even I have had some of that frustration, because I can understand CONFUSION by people who have some celiacs who don't take precautions, and some who do. I have to be so careful that I can't eat out anymore. My daughter can only eat out at places that are super, super careful about contamination. My brother and dad, also both celiacs, can eat out at places that are pretty careful, but not nearly to the level my daughter needs to have. We're all different, and people outside the group may not necessarily know that, right?

But that doesn't mean they are justified to act nasty just because of that, I don't think.