WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2017

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Felicia – When someone talks about minced meat pie; I think of the desert pie that has raisins in it … DOUBLE YICK! Paws rubbing my tongue to get the taste out.

I’ve had “Shepherd’s Pie: before and I like that; the thought of eating anything with raisins makes me cringe.

NYKaren – I ‘love’ spicy foods!

Becca and Katla – If DOS and his wife and family are over, and they have ‘stayed their welcome’ all we have to do is ‘mention’ anything close to ‘sex’ and that is WTMI and they say, ‘Eyck’ and leave. One the other hand DYS and his wife are very open to talking. Maybe newlyweds have something to say about that. The DGDs know that they are not to come down on Sundays without calling first. That is our day together without interference of anyone.

Allie – Sad about Margaret; but, you’ve been a good caregiver to family members (TomCat’s).

Michele – Maybe I should start doing them.

Louis and I took dance lessons; but, he’d try to turn me the wrong way and it made me uncomfortable; felt like if he ‘let go’ I’d go flying off into another couple; but, I was also heavy and not at all steady on my feet. I just wanted to get him dancing for when we went to our class reunions. He’ll slow dance with me and occasionally we’ll dance the way we were taught; but, he’d prefer just to listen and watch. My boss was a wonderful dancer and when we had Boss’s Night – everybody wanted to dance with him. For that reason, he was the ‘life of the party’.

Machka – My Windows 10 updated and I had to call my techies, to get it back to showing icons instead of just a few tiles and having to change it to look for programs. I hate this change. He told me how to make that go away with just a keystroke. Windows and Outlook are really 2 different things (from what I have heard). I use Outlook 2013; but, Windows 10 has been trying its best to ‘make me “buy” something I do not need’. He told me that was why I was getting a pop-up that would not allow me to delete it; I got tired of having to turn off computer to make it 'go away' ... so I hit the 'ok' button; and, within minutes this change occurred.

Dana – Your pix you posted on FB of your haircut is really nice. I have a similar cut, just a few inches shorter. I hope that while I am out in Louisiana, Tami or her co-worker can cut my hair – it will be about time for it. I’d love to also get a mani-pedi, too. Baptists do baptisms by holding your nose and dunking you. When I joined the church at 8 (not knowing what the Hello-kitty I was doing) and a few weeks later got baptized. I had not learned how to swim yet and the water was over my head. The preacher had to come over and get me ‘kicking and screaming’ the entire time. Most churches only ‘sprinkle’ you when they baptize you. Baptist churches are the ‘only’ ones I know that will ‘baptize’ you again, even ‘if’ you have been baptized in another church.

Sharon – We’ll put Cracker out and then go and see if she is standing at the door, she rarely cries or scratches at the door, she will just stand there with her nose in the crack of the door. However, when Tux starts ‘meowing’ loudly – I know it is because he has ‘killed’ something and wants us to ‘see it’. Silly cat, he IS doing this job and we appreciate it; but, we don’t need evidence; but, we have to make such a production about it in the process of getting rid of it.

Heather – Nice B&B; but, when I think of a B&B, I think of an old Victoria house and the meals cooked by the owners.

Kelly – Our boys were polar opposites; but, very close. Trey was our ‘quiet’ child; and, Will was our ‘adventurous’ one. He still is; although Trey had gotten more outgoing in most situations. He used to ‘hate’ being introduces as “Will’s brother.” Will was an imposing character and would walk straight down the middle of the hall and the kids would just part ways to get out of his way. Both he and a neighborhood kid would not ever be messed with because they would ‘finish’ a fight; but, never start one. Will would always tell someone, ‘don’t do that – don’t touch me again’. Then, if they did – he’d deck them – usually knocking them out when he did. The first time we left Will “Home Alone” … he sent his fist into the window of our garage where Louis sprayed shutters and doors. Why he thought we would not notice is a mystery to me. Trey had to meet him at the ER to sign for him to get stitches in his hand. Will liked lizards and also giving a girl a ‘kiss’.

When my boys were fussy, especially after being nursed, I put them on their stomachs on my lap and would bump them (raising heels off floor) and they would usually ‘burp loudly’. Might be crying on his stomach if he hasn’t burped after eating. That is an uncomfortable position for them to be in, as well as sitting up. Once burped, they will usually not fuss about being in those positions. Dogs do try to make any ‘whiny’ baby – fur babies or regular babies to hush (usually by nudging them about). Son doesn’t need to leave Joaquin alone in the room with the dog, if they dog can get to him. Cats also try to quieten a baby. I never allowed cats to be around my babies.

Lenora
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Allie there is a new product called Vibe it lowers the volume at a concert but it does not diminish the quality of the sound. It costs about $24 dollars. A man invented it after he suffered a ruptured eardrum from a concert.

They are finding it helps anyone who is sensitive to loud sounds.

Kelly LOL.

:heart: Margaret
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    Options
    Machka – My Windows 10 updated and I had to call my techies, to get it back to showing icons instead of just a few tiles and having to change it to look for programs. I hate this change. He told me how to make that go away with just a keystroke. Windows and Outlook are really 2 different things (from what I have heard). I use Outlook 2013; but, Windows 10 has been trying its best to ‘make me “buy” something I do not need’. He told me that was why I was getting a pop-up that would not allow me to delete it; I got tired of having to turn off computer to make it 'go away' ... so I hit the 'ok' button; and, within minutes this change occurred.

Yes, Windows and Outlook are two completely different things. Both are Microsoft products, of course, but Windows is an operating system and Outlook is an email/calendar system. Windows comes on your computer when you buy it (unless you make the choice to go with a different operating system). Outlook you have to buy as part of a package which usually includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Access.

As a student, I have been given the most recent of those packages (2016) for free, for 10 computers, for the duration of being a student.

You should be able to make pop-ups go away by clicking the X in the top, right corner.

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Hello from RI BEACH. Windy, cold day in July but happy to be side by side with DD. Gonna relax on the beach, go blueberry picking and then a late lunch before heading home--a perfect day for us both. Breathing in peace,NYKAREN
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    MindSetBtenda

I had back surgery April 2016 and have issues too. I use a cane most of the time when I'm out of the house just to stabilize myself. I use a Exercise Peddler. I bought it on Amazon for $35ish and I sit in an upright chair. It's light weight and has a counter on it too. I also have a Garmin vivofit. It tracks all my steps which is amazing how many steps I take just cleaning house. Those steps are deducted against the calories on MFP.

The YMCA has the Silver Sneaker program for over 65 seniors. Free classes and use of the gym and pool. I was going but my back has slowed me down. The pool looks delicious and I do want to go swimming! Great exercise and no weight on the back! I hope you find what you need and welcome to the group!

Joyce and Lenora Thanks for your comments on hair and baptism.

I use to put my babies when 2-3 months on their tummies to play. I would surround them with toys for them to go after. They learned quickly how to navigate to get what they wanted. They all crawled pretty early on and they all have very independent natures.

I had 2 fajita chicken tacos and charro beans last night. I ordered a la carte. Good way to go. No more big plates of food.

Have a great weekend y'all!
    Dana in Arkansas
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Dana ~ I have been seriously wondering about being re-baptized. I was 5 when I joined the church (Baptist) and have always wondered if I had any idea what I was doing. The only problem is that we have not been regular church goers for the past 10 yrs.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka: You're right about dough wrapped around meat being common among many cultures, from wontons, burritos, & pork pies, to lettuce wraps among dieters. We all like to eat with our hands and have clean fingers when we're done. :wink:

Dana: I hope you enjoy your rebaptism. I like the haircut. You look very attractive. :star:

Heather: Lovely photo looking across the square to the sea. I can almost smell the salt air. :bigsmile:

MindSetBrenda: One day at a time. It sounds like you have some healing to do. Several people here ride bikes and others are swimmers. DH & I have adult trikes and they take a load of worries away because they balance themselves. I don't have balance issues but he does. He just bought a mobility scooter. Insurance did NOT cover that. :ohwell: If you have the option of physical therapy, I'd suggest you give it a try. Stop by often for encouragement and support. (((hugs)))

Margaret: I've never heard of Vibe but it sounds like a great invention. :bigsmile:

There are no riding lessons today, but my friend who owns the stable wants to us to each create our own "lesson" & ride Arrow to keep him exercised and in a positive attitude. She thinks a consistent routine is good. I like it, too. She's going first and I'm going afterward. I think it is a fun idea. She is looking for a new dog to rescue and a candidate is arriving today, just about noon. I hope I'm still there and get to see him. I also hope he turns out to be compatible with cats. The last dog they considered adopting was an aggressive cat chaser & they have several cats so they didn't keep him.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Hearher, that B&B and view looks wonderful

I got up to see the kids off this morning. I am sure I will find things Ellie left! It always happens. Of course her parents should oversee that. Then I went back to bed and slept all the way for their trip to Louisville. Charlie stayed awake but the whole time they were here, he hasn't had a chance to watch Fox News. So he enjoys that time.

My own girls were opposites in a lot fotnings when they were growing up now they are nseperable when they are together. My sister and I were the sme when we were growing up. Although we still dearly love each other, we can be polar opposites. Hi I a lot of it is the men we married. Both of them can be controlling but Charlie knows I will do part of what I want to do.

Joyce, indiana
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,735 Member
    Options
    Been down here for about 4 hours .gonna leave as soon as Vincent and Becky get here.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Machka – The only thing about the Windows pop up is that it did not have an “X” to get out of it. If I was in something and hit the “X” up in the upper right-hand color – it closed the program and the pop-up would still be there. The only thing it had was a button to click on it and; then, of course it was trying to ‘sell me an UPGRADE’. I automatically get updates and that has taken it to Windows 10.1

Working we got the ‘newest’ program out; and, I had to teach myself while still working and teach the judge and law clerk. We’d share any little tricks we found. One thing that worked with an old version was if you were doing an ‘index’ it would put the …….. between the chapter title and the page number. I haven’t found that feature in Outlook, or Word or anything even close. Also, in Excel – something trying to line up numbers, especially if it starts with a “1” it doesn’t want to do it unless you add a ‘space’ to make up the difference. Also whether it lines up on the left of the column or the right also makes a difference, too. Only thing I do not like about Excel is ‘if you make a typo’ and need to correct it, you have to correct the entire number instead of being able to change just one digit.

Dana – I did the same, crawling is a very important step in learning. I have had friends whose children went from using something to hold on to, to walking. I think the crawling gives them the satisfaction of knowing they can ‘scoot’ to get something they want. It was funny watching how they would do it. Trey rolled in my stomach and he rolled to get over to a toy; but, once it got it he crawled while playing with it. Will could just about crawl faster than I could reach to grab him. When he started walking, he hit the ground doing so. I ultimately had to put him on a harness because he would not ‘stay still’. I had a woman stop me in the parking lot as I was getting them out of the car to go grocery shopping. She asked me why I treated my child like a ‘dog’; I told her ‘#1 … I don’t want him flattened in the parking lot when someone decided they had the entire parking lot to themselves … like that guy over there (who was speeding across the entire parking lot)l #2 it’s none of you *(&^&%()*98 business how I chose to keep my children safe’. Of course, that was back in the time you could ‘pop them on the bottom’ without having the police called on you.
    I’m going to check into the “Y” about their “Silver Sneaker” program. I haven’t thought about that. Is that something that is offered at all “Y’s” or just the one in your town? I think I heard of Albany having it. I just wasn’t old enough to be in it.

Carol – The Baptist Church is the ‘only’ church that I have ever heard about that makes you get ‘baptized’ again even if you had been baptized in another church and especially from a different faith. I guess they figure being ‘sprinkled’ is not enough. I ‘know’ I had no idea what I was doing, it was something that was sort of expected ‘if’ you had gone through RAs or GAs (a Baptist program) … Royal Ambassadors and Girl Ambassadors’.

On Sundays, I spent my time kneeling on the floor facing the back of the pew and drawing on the church bulletins. People around us would hand my Mother theirs to keep me quiet. I knew no such thing as ‘whispering’. But, I do remember Mother pulling me over her lap and telling me ‘they would tell you what to do’ when all my friends joined during a revival. I tried to get back over her knees, which did not work. To this day, I do not care for the hymn “Just As I Am”. Six verses is enough time for people to ‘come on down’ if they are going to ‘join’ the church.

When Louis and I married I joined the Catholic Church and enjoy the structure of it. The only thing that changes are the readings … but, they are done at a certain time, and the subject of the Homily. The closet Catholic Church is 30 miles away; and, Louis has no desire to go to any other church. Trey won’t go to another church; but, Will has. Trey especially won’t go to any ‘non-denominational’ church, especially if they are going to raise their hands in praise. For some reason, that freaks him out.

While I miss having a ‘church family’, Louis does his praying all day long. He says he doesn’t have to enter into a building to worship God/Jesus.

Re – Something I saw on FB really made me think that ‘romantic’ love is different that ‘staying through thick and thin’ kind of love, which I think means you have to be ‘friends’.

I’ll have to try doing planks, to see if I can get rid of this ‘tire rim’ that doesn’t seem to want to ‘go away’.

Oh, tell me about it getting harder to get thinner and fitter. I asked my diet nurse at what point would I have lost enough. For me to be in the range of ‘normal’ … I’d be between 110lbs and 145lb. That seems to be a big range; maybe she was telling me the range for anybody no matter how tall or short they are. I haven’t weighed 110lbs since I was 16 and a cheerleader. If I get to 145 or even 140lbs, I will be happy with my trek to get there.

Lenora
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,735 Member
    Options
    I am home and exsausted... 45 mins each way and 4 1/2 hours down there, glad I went .. but yikes.. too the stuffins right out of me, I will be going to bed early tonight..
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    I just got a Toll bill in the mail from my travels in Texas. A bill for $6.06 from NTTA (North Texas Tollway Authority). I was worried it was a scam, because I don't recall seeing any signs that we were on a toll road and I don't recall going through a toll gate. I sent a photo of it to my Son in Law and he said that it was "legit" and to go ahead and pay it. Unlike the midwest, Texas (or at least North Texas) has "stealth" tolls. They post signs, among the signs along the highway that you are supposed to read when you are going 75 or 80 mph. Frustrating to say the least. I don't mind paying tolls, because they are used for road maintenance (and I do love a good smooth road). But Geeze! Seems that is a little unethical!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

got Apple Watch him back

yoga class - 60min, = 256c
    walk - hm 2 Red Robin- 17.53min, .2.8ap, .8mi = 71c
    walk Red Robin 2 hm- 18.35min, 2.7ap, .8mi = 73c

total cal 400c