1747576777880»

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Lisa, glad to see you back. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Yes, your husband is acting silly. For me it is very good to see a husband acting silly. Doesn't happen very often here.

Katla, you were right to leave that church. They were looking out for themslves and not thinking about why they were there as a church. But it wouldn't hurt to find another one at this point in your life. Your husband is slowing down and he can find some good fellowship that can relieve you. Has your husband ever thought of getting on a horse himself? There are many therapy horse programs. It would help with his balance and self confidence. Plus it would be something the two of you could share together since you no longer share the boating world like you used to.

Well Charlie's venture to get him a new sheet for his bed didn't last very long. He wants a sheet that fits on his pillow top mattress. He has a regular sheet and of course that doesn't work.. We talked about it especially on the cost. He said he knew and he would spend money on it. So we went to Walmart since that is about the only store he goes to for anything. After looking, I couldn't find any sheets that specifically say pillow top and of course they were more than he wanted to pay. Last night he was saying he would need to pay around $50. I didn't think it would be that much but I agreed with it. So we are seeing sheet sets for $25 and he freaked out and said we would is it leave. I got him to at least go down the drapery aisle. He has gold drapes that were hung in 1978. They are so ugly, I have to
    D him that his coffin will be lined in it. He agreed to look at burgundy. So we found one he liked but it was single panel and it was close to $20. Oh my my. I don't know what generation his brain lives in. So we were going to go to Bed Nath and Beyond. Well he forgot to take the turn and that made him even more mad so our trip didn't last long. He thought that while we were at Walmart he could look at pants. I don't do that with him at all. He is so bad to shop with. As far as pants, he refuses to look for a waist size that he currently is. In his mind, he is still back in that old generation. Plus he likes the old polyester pants that don't fit his body size well and he has to put his hand and feel his crouch to see how it feels like. So he is out in the store showing me what he has found after trying on 10 pair and he is feeling his crouch. I send him by himself, he is gone all afternoon and comes home without anything. He did buy a pair about a month ago and has never worn them. I try to get his to wear suspenders and that is a no no for him. So he is still wearing clothes from many moons ago. Most of them he can no lager button but that's quite OK with his because he now wears a long shirt because of his ileostomy.

Joyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:

**wahoo hrm not recording :0/ **

all apple watch hr-

bike ride hm 2 gym- 13.09min, 13.3mph. 2.9mi = 93c
    Plyometrics exercises- 15.24min, 3ets of 10each, hamstring leglifts, push-ups, all 4's elbow to knee, reverse bicycles, leg lifts, pelvic lifts, crunches, sit-ups, on butt-knees to chest= 102c
    SPIN CLASS- 30min, 86ar, 96aw, 10-13g, 12.8mi = 212c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 6.21min, 12.6amph, 1.3mi = 43c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn station- 15.15min, 12amph, 3mi = 112c
    jog sta 2 wk- 5.10min, 10.07min mi, .5mi = 58c
    jog wk 2 sta- 5.22min, 10min mi, .5mi = 56c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 18.06min, 8.6amph, 2.5mi = 143c

total cal 819
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    Yesterday, the stress of the work week and dealing with DH's dementia gave me a massive, stubborn headache. I went to Walmart at 6 AM, and once everything was put away, I went back to bed for the entire day. The recent news stories about CTE (brain damage from multiple concussions) in football players hit me hard. DH has all the symptoms. Today, he went around the condo for 2 hours looking for his wallet. Finally, he found it after searching his sock drawer for the 3rd time. This kind of thing happens 3-4 times a day, every day.

Given the circumstances, I made the difficult decision to cancel my trip to Europe this October because I need to put the time and resources towards building a network for his care going forward. My girlfriends were very understanding. It's also fortunate that my business travel has decreased significantly. This is a good time for us to explore the research, the benefits from Veterans Administration and whatever else we can grab to make the next chapter as sane as possible.

So sorry to hear this ... my grandfather went through all this starting when he was about 70. :(

And yes, do research things. You might be able to obtain in-home care once a week or something to give yourself a break ... things like that.

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Rori, hugs. And prayers for all you are dealing with your husband. I have a friend going through the same thing, and it is heartbreaking. The thing that is so amazing to me is how young he is. She eventually had no choice but to put him in a facility, because her once gentle, love of her life turned violent with the disease.

Skip this paragraph if you have no interest in the "church" discussion. My advice: if having a church family is important to you, then keep looking for a good fit. It's unfortunate that those who are supposed to be most welcoming fail at it miserably a lot of time, but we are all human which makes us do selfish and unwelcoming things. Expecting perfection will lead to disappointment, but there are plenty of good congregations that are trying their best to love and support each other. Don't let the human failings of others be an excuse for neglecting your own spiritual needs.

I've been sick with a summer cold and neglecting my exercise. I'm back on it today.

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Michele – I was just about to mention to Joyce that quite often ‘organized churches’ can be rather ‘cliquish’. When we were active in the Catholic Church, we had our boys enrolled in parochial school, so we had friends who also attended both. Many of them, well most of them have moved and the church has doubled in size. It’s difficult to get into a group and they apparently no longer had a Catholic Women’s group where I met a lot of friends before the boys entered school. Tami and Will were going to a small Baptist Church that was around the corner from their home, the preacher married them. Really nice guy; but, then a woman who had been a member there decided she wanted to be the Head of the Children’s Church and he told her that he had several people in mind and had not made a decision yet. She got all up in his face and told him that ‘she had been there before he came, and she’d be there when he left. So when she took that approach and knew that she would be divisive factor of the congregation, he told the church the following Sunday that he had decided that things would be better if he left since some had voiced their displeasure with him. Tami and Will went for a little while longer; but, it wasn’t the same. They are planning on building or buying a home and decided to go to a church that is actually closer to the school that Mallory goes to and she was thrilled to find that most of her classmates went there. So it all worked out well. Most everybody is happy, I guess. A lot of Tami’s customers also go there. That can always split a church. The Methodist church in the town I lived in bought the city block my mother own, for expansion; but, a group of the younger members wanted 'more' than just a 'basketball court', the wanted a 'pool' and all the things you'd find in a 'full gym'. Weights, racquetball courts, that sort of thing. So they bought land and built another church. Not even sure they remained in the "Methodist" version of the same "Southern Baptist Committee" that makes decisions about things.

We went to a Catholic Church in Macon where the Head priest started his Priesthood there and retired from there. Loved him, he never played favorites, he was a priest to everybody. Even would not accept invitations to have dinner from anyone; but, the priests ‘in training’ (2 of them were suggested to take his place). We fell in love with them. Funny that they were priests because they were both so young and very entertaining; they also had bikes and canoes stored in a fenced-in area behind the Rectory.

Rori – I’ve had to call Louis from the grocery store because Louis lays it on top of my pocketbook with money, so I put the money further down in the purse or fold it to go in my little cases; and, get there and have forgotten it and/or what was on it. Since he is the one who makes it, he can remember it; but, what he does that drives me wild (when I am writing it out is to tell me ‘what we don’t need’, but at he has called it out. “Milk … we’ve got enough to last a few days.” So I gave it to him and told him to write it out. No problem there, a lot easier; but, I forget it, thankfully, I charge my cell, turn it off, and put it in my pocketbook; but, I have forgotten it before. I go into town as few times as I possibly can and I know my route to make it efficient, a big circle. I’ve forgotten library books.

Today while at the vet a man backed into my rear passenger door and one of the girls came in and asked if I drove a Honda telling me that this man had come back in and told them that he had hit it (backed out, he had to have been on the phone or something … he was easily 25 feet away and he apparently just back straight back. He started talking about ‘he really wanted to handle it without having to get his insurance involved and asked if I would get up 3 estimates'. I told him that Perry Body was going to fix it and I’d get the estimate from them. He got quite huffy and wrote down the agent's name and telephone number. The girl told me as I was leaving that she had called the police. I told him that I lived in Dawson, had my dog with me and I was not going to drive around and wait to get 3 estimates and then have something, like him not paying Perry and/or they get into it and find that something else is wrong. He hit it pretty hard and Perry said ‘well I can already tell you that it will have to have a new door and that ‘ain’t’ cheap, so he will be wanting to get his insurance involved. I got home and the door won’t even open. That really made me mad; but, I had gone to my insurance carrier and told them what had happened and what he had said, and that he had left even when I told him that the police had been called. Of course, the police would not make even an ‘incident’ report. He got held up at a wreck that happened at the intersection up the road. I laughed and asked if a white Ford pick-up truck had been involved … because it happened in about enough time for him to have gotten there, just in time. M-E-O-W! I was PISSED! So the policeman came in about the time I asked them to call again. First thing he asked when I told him that he had left was ‘if he had given me his information’. I told him that he had; but, that I had really pissed him off. I was almost in tears. This is the 4th time that car has been damaged. I am beginning to think it is ‘jinxed’ … I call Louis and told him what had happened, the first thing he told me to do is go to our insurance company and then we’d just have to hope they don’t rate us higher or drop us altogether. I told him what the guy said he wanted to do and he said, ‘no way’. I told him that he could take it and his truck and trade it in and we’d just have his business vehicle. So, I looked at it and can’t even open the door. My Agent called him and told him that we'd be willing to work it out without getting his insurance company involved; but, got told he had already reported it to his insurance company. Agent knew him and told him that I did not mean to be unwilling to help; but, if something went wrong, they'd have to get involved and since it wasn't my fault, I should not have to file against my insurance.

Hugs to you with dealing with DH; I wonder if I am getting there. My Neurologist’s nurse told me (very flippantly after 3 weeks I had not heard anything about and MRI I had had and called the doctor; that I had ‘mild age-related dementia’. I’m 66 – that did not make me feel very good, so I called my GP and he said he’d get the records and look at them. Was probably more upset that the Neurologist has ‘yet’ to call me to talk about it. I wish that he was not one of the only 2 in town.

I had a friend that had Alzheimer’s just suddenly hit him (the symptoms). I had seen him a month before at K-Mart; and then mentioned him to BF about whether his wife was still working or had retired. She told me that his wife had to have him put into a nursing home … suddenly got mean and did not recognize her or anything else. Didn’t know where he was (home).

It’s scary (to me). {{{{{HUGS}}}}} to you and your husband as you go through whatever situations you find yourself in.

Karen in Virginia – Louis thinks I ought to try to sell artwork; but, when he puts it as a ‘job’; I don’t have any interest in it. I’ve always done it for pleasure, at my leisure. If I was going to do it as a job; I would have done it in my early 20’s, not in my late 60’s. Art school took the pleasure out of it. I did not do ‘anything’ with it for years. Louis did not know I was an artist until after we married and he found my supplies.

For me (after I got used to having to retire because of a disability) has been nice. Of course, it makes me wonder how I worked, with 2 boys, getting them to whatever event they were taking, and still be a ‘good wife’ to Louis. But, if they were ever sick, I could take off and be with them without my pay being docked.

They do make thick mattress sheets (18” deep) which is about like ours. The hardest part for me to make up a bed (because of the headboard, is to get the sheets on the mattress. I know my DDnL#2 said if we ‘ever’ bought any sheets for them that I needed to get California King (that is what the thick/deep sheets are called). Both at home and their lake house his DFnL build the bed which has drawers underneath it and they only use the top mattress, no box springs. I think the first time Will stayed with her, he fell in love with the bed and wanted to have one. He had gotten one of those sleep number beds and HATED it. Said if 2 people slept in it, they both rolled to the middle. If he has a queen-sized bed, he ought to find sheets; but, they won't be cheap.

Talking about 'what generation' he is living in ... only when I have been on a 6-month driving restriction and Louis having to do all the errands, including grocery shopping, he got so that he'd give me 'more $$$'; now he has reverted back to giving me less money and I end up having to use 'my' checkbook to pay the difference

Tere in RVA – I’ve been accused of having a ‘lead foot’ quite often; but, when my son (and sometimes even Louis) drive my car I am gripping the edge of the seat. One the road coming into town, there are about 4 sharp turns. The 3rd one is the one that gives me the ‘willies’ because for some reason it has never looked (or felt) like it is slanted in the correct way. I’ll put my cruise control on the 55mph limit and it just ‘hunkers down’ as I take these curves; but, that isn’t so bad; but, when they try it at 60 or 70mph, it looks like – from the front passenger seat that one day we are going to land in the cotton or peanut field.

Ginger – I will NEVER be able to put another pillow in a pillowcase now! That’s hysterical. Lordy Mercy, I know their frustration. When I realized that one of my sons – actually both were sexually active, they got a big box of condoms in their Christmas stocking (every year); but, apparently one did not 'think' he needed them - we have a beautiful, smart 21-year-old granddaughter, who is my heart and soul. Of course, that did not take long before every mother in the neighborhood knew it. One even asked me if I needed a bunch of ‘firm’ bananas to teach them how to put them on. My response was, ‘that’s a great idea’ … they need to learn ‘how to use them correctly’. She just shook her head. The boys in the neighborhood (and that is all we had – no girls) thought it was cool and all of them had good relationships with their parents. We also would get on to each other’s’ kids if they were doing something they were not supposed to be doing. When they got into arguments at our house we had a couple of pair of boxing gloves to use. Did it this way because one boy would ‘fight dirty and wore a signet ring’ and was a ‘brown belt’ in some sort of martial arts. His Dad is a ‘black belt’. This made it (fights to settle arguments) on a more level playing field.

Sue – Lately I have been making fig preserves. I take the stems off, wash them, drain them; so the only water that is in them is the left water after I wash them. I put sugar over them and squeeze a whole lemon over them (putting the juice in a dish so I can pick out the seeds. Cut up the lemon in small pieces, slice or chop it up the lemons; then I pour sugar over them. Probably close to 3 cups. I actually do mine ‘by sound’ … when you pour it over you can tell when it start sounding ‘different’. Then I put them in a heavy pot and turn them on low and let them cook down, folding them over so they all cook and the ones on the bottom don’t burn. Wash my jars in the dishwasher (while the figs are cooking); boil to rims and tops on the stove in a pot. When cooked spoon them into the jars up to the edge where the rims go on. Take a spoon (curved side in), push inward, and let all the air pockets rise to top. Take a wet paper towel and wipe just inside the jar and the top of the rim; put the tops on and rims and turn closed (but NOT extra tight, just tight enough to make the rim and top tight against one another. Put them on a folded dish rag and go sit and wait for the tops to ‘ping’. When I hear that, and feel the top to make sure the center is flat; I tighten them as much as I can. Let them cool. If I have any juice left, I pour in in jars, doing the same (sometime might have enough to fill 1 1//2. Put the full one up for later use, and put the ½ jar in fridge to pour on pancakes, waffles, or toast. IF you find one that the top has not ‘pinged’ and the center is still raised, take the top off, wash it and boil it again. Wipe the rim and just inside the jar and put the ‘boiling hot’ top and rim back on and try it again. If it doesn’t ‘ping’ just put it in the fridge and enjoy them.

My DMnL used to make ‘candied’ figs. DH and I love them; but, I have only once done it correctly. I think one of the things she did different was to refrigerate the sugared figs overnight and cook them every slowly. They tasted like candy and you could pick them up. I think maybe putting the sugar on them overnight and cooking them on a lower temperature and longer might be the trick to that. I know when I cooked the pears that we had (they turned out more like candied pears and I did put sugar on them overnight and cooked them slower and longer. It’s a day of it; but worth it. You’ll use most of the twelve ½ pint jars.

The worst thing about the pears was ‘peeling’ them and I had picked up enough to fill a 5-gallon paint bucket.

The first batch I made I burned them … the pot I had been using had bowed in the middle – so I went and picked some more and put them in a thicker pot. The next time I used that blue and white speckled pot to cook something in – 15 bean soup; burnt it, too. I cried for an hour. Had used dry beans – first time I had ever done that (I buy the little package of beans with probably 15 different kinds of beans. I thought they would be soft after soaking overnight; but, they were more al dente; but, the cooking of them made them soft. That was a case of ‘live and learn’. The first pot got thrown out, soup and all.

Our weatherman/woman were really instrumental in there not being any more casualties than they had in SW and Central South GA in Jan with straight-line winds hitting the west side of Albany and the late January tornado that obliterated the east side and stayed on the ground 70 miles through about 6 counties. They were telling people to ‘get in their safe place’ … NOW. You could hear the wind over them. Three tornados merge into one mega-storm. We had been told that one was headed our way (would have passed right over us).

Joyce – Louis ends up getting close to 5 or 6” cut off the hems of pants in the shortest pair he can find. 30” long (sometimes 29 – inseam). This last time he ‘tried’ on the pair of jeans he bought at Bass Pro Shop (in Macon). He has a belly (not from drinking beer; but you get the pictures and no @$$-a-tall! His belly is big because of a hernia. Have to laugh at him for being pregnant. Sometimes this hernia will turn and it looks like a baby’s foot sticking out on a pregnant woman.

Allie – Happy for you that things are beginning to ‘churn’. Once you are able to ‘start a new life’ you might have a few bumps to go over; but, you will feel so much better. Less stress for you. Keeping you in our prayers.

Lenora
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Just got off the phone with eldest calling from Portsmouth! Its so nice when a son calls you after they get off duty! We talked for an hr and a half, until I asked him what time it was there. It was 2:18 am! Oh to be young and handle that!

Suppose to be in the 100's later this week, here on the coast! Crazy!!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Aunt Margaret passed away early last evening..no more pain.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Allie I am sorry for your loss.

A bicycle was almost hit in front of me today. It was a young man about fifteen riding a banana seated bike with no helmet. He was in a bike lane but on the wrong side of the street. He was riding against the traffic. He went full speed through a red light. The person in front of me had the green light and was accelerating because they were going up a hill. They barely missed him. I was turning right going in the same direction as the bicyclist. I did yell at him because his actions he almost got him killed. I wanted to yell at him are you Blank Blank Crazy. It would not have been the drivers fault. He flew out of nowhere in the wrong lane. Someone was watching out for that young man today. It did take me a few minutes to calm down. I was just going to the bank about a mile from my house.

It was interesting I had a bad feeling before I left for the bank too. I am just glad no one was hurt. Counting blessings because things can happen in the blink of an eye.

:heart: Margaret
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    :) Another busy day of clearing clutter, taking it to the thrift shop and doing chores related to the replacing of our deck and getting the house painted.

:'( My friend that the dogs and I walked with every day for over a year has not walked with us for months because her 93 year old husband who has Alzheimer's has needed more care and she couldn't leave him alone for an hour in the morning any more. She called hospice recently and has been sitting by his bed holding his hand for days knowing that the end was near. This morning she came out of her house when Sasha and I walked by to tell us that her husband had died last night. A hospice volunteer was with her and they called MEDCURE since he had agreed to donate his body to science. By the time I got to her house, the bed and supplies were all organized for Hospice to pick them up. She has been an inspiration to me.

<3 Barbie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    :) It's near the end of my day, so I've posted the new thread for August.

Here is the link:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10583593/women-ages-50-for-august-2017/p1?new=1
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'm still here
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Come to August!
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Oh Joyce you made me laugh out loud with your story about Charlie and his pants shopping!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Glo - come to August
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    b2ld4pixtfy2.jpg

This is the dress from DH's 70th. I'm wearing it with a lace shrug to hide my arms. :D You can't really see the appliqué embroidery on the front but it is very beautiful. Must have been very expensive. :o. I feel a bit guilty for keeping it, but she does not want it back.
    Heather UK XXXXXX
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Back at work today. Heaps of emails. Trying to get organised. So much to do in coming months.

I could do with a nap!

Jet lag AND hot flashes. Lovely combination.

For the past couple weeks, my body has decided it is hot flash and night sweat time. I don't mind too much ... except when I'm tired, because they make me even more tired ... and except when they're accompanied by nausea, because that is really unpleasant.

Today the hot flashes are coming when I'm tired and are accompanied by mild nausea.

Hang in there...is it usually combined with nausea?