WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2017

Options

Replies

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The grand kids are spending the night tonight! :) Their mom has to be at pre-planning tomorrow and then they will all start school again on Tuesday. Wish me luck keeping a 5 & 7 yr old happy. I can't do much as my right knee is having a serious arthritic flare up.

Carol in GA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    leg cramps - bar of soap in between the bed sheets - especially when I start training again for the marathon in November and bike ride in sept.
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    gaylaa0miocs.jpg
    When summer involves sitting on an ice block!
    Becca
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Gloria – Oversized pillowcases, undersized pillows; but, not the other way around like most home linens and pillows. I scrunch up my pillowcase as if I am putting on stockings, grab a corner of the pillow and put it in, then then other corner and put it in, still stand up and pull the pillowcase up and shake it a couple of times, then flatten the feather pillow in the case so it fits, I don’t know who make pillowcases for king-sized pillows; I’ve NEVER found them easy to put on.

Stopped by and checked the ripeness of figs at neighbors. Going down in AM and try to see how many I can pick. Bring them home and put them in refrigerator. If I have enough for a cooking – I’ll have to go buy glass jars first.

I think you made a wise decision putting the boys in sports. Sometimes telling the coach the situation will mean that he will get him to focus on something and give him goals. Just do not allow him to ‘quit’, although football in youth football between 6th grade and 8th meant my DOS was the smallest boy facing boys big enough to be playing HS football. First day, the kid to his left had his shoulder ripped out of the socket by an 8th grade boy who easily weighted 2x what he did. That is the ‘only’ sport either boy was allowed to quite basically before the season started. But, team sports was something they made a commitment to and they stayed with it. Their team depended on them staying (that is the way I put it to them).

Allie – As long as he doesn’t ‘cancel’ the credit card since that is the one you are using to pay attorney’s bill … but, he can pay the attorney’s bill. Now, much better than later when you might only get a portion of it back. Or, unless you have already paid the attorney with the card and he pays that off as well.

He could be trying to see how easy-going you are about selling things. If the card is in both names, make sure he does pay it off in full. Paying off your attorney’s bill, thus far. Camaro, thinking they stopped making them and that makes them more valuable if they have been kept up. I went to HS with a guy that collects and restores cars. He had a bright candy apple red one with ‘glass packs’ and he would run about 5 minutes every day and have to shift down; right outside homeroom window. Used to drive Mrs. Fletcher no end.

Becca – The town that Carol and I grew up in had an ‘ice house’ where we’d go buy ice blocks like that to last several days.

Lanette – I don’t like ‘cold’; but, after a few days of high-90’s and heat index in triple figures; I think I could join the poor dog.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Allie - If you have subpoenaed his 'records' ... he might be 'hiding' how he paid for the MCC ticket(s), too; and, any reservations he might have made for the weekend. Why would a man go 'alone' to see MCC anyway, by himself? Just a 'question'.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Ok, how does a nurse put a pillow case on. I had to actually go in and take a pillow case off and put one on so I could write t as well as I could. But what the heck, now I have a clean pillow case on.
    Take pillow case and put your hand inside and grab the top seam then grab that seam from the outside of the pillow case with your other hand. That is the key. Now grab one end of the pillow. With that hand. I prefer the end that has the tag. Now just simply dress your pillow. Pull the plow case down and there you have it!

I let my husbands apathy towards church control me not going to church when I was having problems with my MS. It was just so easy to say I was having an MS day. Soon I wasn't going to church at all, now was I singing in the choir. I knew in my heart that I wasn't right with God. I wasn't giving any tithe, I wasn't participating in any kind of Bible study or just plain ol' having fellowship with the body of Christ. Yes, you can worship while running amid Gods nature or sitting on a mountain top or seeing a beautiful rainbow, waterfall or sunrise. But. Wasn't even doing that. My daughters church has a policy that if a child 'becomes a Christian' that they do not have them be baptized until they turn 10 so they can make sure of what their decision is. When my daughter was baptized, we had had several people who were also going to be and we had it at a local lake. It was very emotional. Of course it was my own daughter. Also my husband attended and he never went to church. My brother as well as my Dad was a preacher and he pastured a small church in eastern Ky. We had planned a vacation to Canada and Charlie said that it would be fun to stop by their house on the weekend we came home. He also said that since I had never heard my brother preach, we could go to church. That was a big WOW in my life. That was also a very heavy thing to put on my brother. Charlie was raised pretty much in any church that was in the neighborhood his parents moved to, Catholic, Church of Christ, anything. That Sunday morning, my husband accepts Jesus into his heart. He became such a changed man, enjoyed his time at my church, well our church. He sang in the choir, sang solos. But he was hurt pretty badly when someone called him a liar in elementary school and one of the leaders of the church wife said that to him one day and told him to mind his own business. He has never been back to church since. Well he attends the girls weddings. He still brings that up. Oh, that woman ran away with the chairman of the deacons. He can't see that she was flawed, not Chalrie. He just sees zoo,e one who is a hypocrite and he hates that over pretty much anything else. He thinks anyone who goes to church should be sinless. That is mot possible! Just looks at my belly and you know that I am not sinless.

Ok, don't know where all that came from. I know we are supposed to stay away from religious topics. Well it is my husband I am talking about and we do that all the time. Some could say that we gossip and that is a sin!!!!! LOL

Well I think our small choir did OK this morning with just the two altos. We have several people out with illness and so attendance has been down for awhile. We have a retired preacher in the church and our preacher is on vacation so this guy preached. He has kind of a weird voice and is a very difficult person to listen to. I hope some one tells the preacher since I am not a person that brings things up like that. He also sings tenor in the choir and if he sings right behind me it can distract my singing!

Joyce, Indiana
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Yo.

Had to take my daughter to the doctor on Saturday so I didn't get my run in. Celebrated birthdays today so I ate cake instead of running.... Soooooo..... tomorrow I do my run. 8 miles. I think I'll be starting about 5:30 in the morning so I avoid the heat. It means running in 80 degrees instead of 95 degrees. I'll take the 15 degree difference. I'll wear a headlamp so I don't trip over anything or get hit by a car....

Marcelyn
    Living where it is hotter than the depths of hell.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Rori Sending support as you and your husband go through the process of planning for the next phase of your lives. I know you will figure this out. It's difficult; people don't necessarily want to make changes, move, and give up their independence...and understandably so. I had a friend (she lived to be 97) who somehow had the prescience to make moves and decisions "one step ahead" - she downsized and moved periodically until finally she was in a continuing care community where she spent the last 15 years of her life very happily. No drama. I hope I have the clarity and grace to make the kinds of timely decisions she made. I hope I don't get blindsided by something unexpected. I know it happens all the time. Please keep us posted as you go through this with your husband. <3
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________

Today I had a discussion with a client at work. She is 78 and just retired. She misses going to work and "feeling useful". The doctor she worked for retired, so she did too. I have another client who is in her 80's and works at a funeral home! She jokes about it sometimes, saying if she dies in the harness, at least she'll be in the right place, LOL! She is a hoot. Both of these women have mentioned enjoying the extra income...being able to have money to spend on the grandkids, eat in restaurants, buy clothes, etc., and not needing to worry so much about a tight budget. It's something for me to think about. I have really been looking forward to retiring in a couple of years, but I know my employer has part-time and "prn" employees who just work 2-4 shifts per month & set their own availability. It would be nice to have a way to make extra money after retiring for travel, grandkids, and unexpected expenses.

What is it like to be retired, anyway? m1725.gif

Karen in Virginia
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Joyce - one of the things that bugs me about any organized religion is that there seems to be "clicks". I remember when I was a Eucharistic Minister at one church here in Hickory, I went and checked in telling her where I wanted to be. Well, I was the first person there. But I was told that that spot was already taken. Also, at this church they never asked you if there was any weekend you can't serve, they just put you on the schedule. I bet what happened is that the person called the head EM and requested that spot. Just recently I was supposed to be Eucharistic Minister but I cleared my schedule so that I could take care of my cousin (who passed away). Anyway, I totally forgot that I changed, I had just driven 7 hours from VA and went to be EM. The lady who I had changed with, when I apologized to her, you should have seen how nasty she was to me! Really, we all make mistakes (I know she has). But I'm not going to let that stop me from helping her or anyone else who needs help.

Rori - I take it your husband played football in high school? My heart goes out to you. How very sad that you needed to cancel your trip to Europe. But I know everyone understands.

Went to dinner with the gal Vince used to work with, her husband and one of their daughters. Had a mixed green salad with seared chicken on top, 3 glasses of water, and for dessert a cup of tea. Her daughter and she asked me if I wanted any of their stone fruit pie, but I honestly didn't care to have any. when I got home, tho, I had to have some raisins, now I'm really full.

Michele in
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Michele, I a agree that there must be cliques. I think they are anywhere. Maybe it is my own insecurities in mysel that make me think that. I remember in my old church that people would be standing around after service was over and talking about going out to eat and I always wanted to be invited to go with them but never was. I am insecure in that I can not just say I would like to tag along. I think if they had wanted me to they would have asked me to. But I know I feel best when I am in church. With my friends in nursing school, I did go to several different denominations and I always just tried to get out of their service what I felt God was showing me. Since gOd is with me everywhere, He was with me in those other churches. He isn't just in a Southern Baptist church. I look forward to the rejoicing of many religions in heaven. Thank you Barbie in what you said.

Charlie is needing new sheets for his bed. He has a queen size pillow top and has never agreed to buy the extra depth sheets. We have even tried the regular ones and bought he sheet clips and they don't work. So tomorrow we look. He said if he can't find what he wants he will buy king size. Like that is going to give I'm a tight fitting sheet with no wrinkles! MEN!!!!! But he is MY man!

Joyce, Indiana
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Ny Karen - That is a beautiful place with some precious memories.

Michele - I love the cute little bee.

Lanette - Congratulations on the win.

Katla - I wonder how long you have to take the CBD oil before seeing an effect? The that plagues Alberta is fentanyl and carfentanyl. So many senseless deaths.

Pip - Looks like a tiger lily to me and thanks for riding in support of MS.

Rori - I hope we can all support you at this difficult time. Lean on us. I must be so scary for your husband.

-Sharon in Lethbridge ( only got up to 97 F here, I love my AC)
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hey Pals,

I had a wonderfully long post but I accidentally erased it before posting. So I am just sending <3HUGS <3 to each of you. I was a little out of sorts last week. Nothing big going on just a whole lot of little things and I think my pre-birthday blues. So I decided to go spend the day with my mother. She is my best friend. <3 We greatly enjoyed our time with her and had an opportunity to meet her “boyfriend” for the first time. He seems to be a very nice gentleman. At 81 he is two years younger than my mom and very different from my dad. He did make it clear to us that he has known my mother for over 60 years as they dated before she married my father and he is sorry that he didn’t marry her then. I thought I would have some negative feeling about my mother in another relationship but I am happy to report that I am delighted for both of them. o:)

DH was happy to jump behind the wheel of the car to drive to Washington DC. I think he was looking forward to exceeding the speed limit. I think we fussed for the entire hour and a half drive that should have taken two hours. Me because I hate his speedy driving style and him because he hates that I am fearful of his speedy driving style. >:) I did come to realize that a part of my feelings can be attributed to my not being in control sometimes I enjoy a little speeding myself. He has only two speeding tickets in the last 13 years and no accidents. He did control himself on the way back and we had a wonderful ride home.

Today was a recuperation day for us. Although I was obligated to go to a baby dedication reception. DH does not care for the babies’ (twins) grandfather and decided to stay home. I stayed for 45 minutes and escaped. The grandmother and grandfather are very old friends of mine from college days. There were several other college friends there as well. There was plenty of food and they were eating like they had been starving for a week. I brought a little mac and cheese and some roasted chicken wings home for DH but watching them devour plates of food killed my appetite. :s

Allie: If Tom needs your permission to sell or pay or anything please refer him to your attorney. I don’t think you want to find yourself in a he said she said sort of situation. Always Kudos for moving forward with your new life. <3

Tere in RVA

• grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Lenora - my aunt taught me a trick about putting pillow cases on pillows. Grab a corner of the pillowcase and don't let go of it - use your other hand to turn the pillowcase inside out on your arm. Now - using the same hand holding that pillowcase corner - grab the corner of the pillow. Pull the case over the pillow. (Unfortunately - the only image coming to mind - is that of a man putting on a condom. I think I'm just really tired...)

--Ginger in Texas