WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2017

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options

Hi Gals,

Interesting talk on weddings and funerals, I am like many of you – if I were ever to get married it would need to be nice but not expensive at all… And no fuss! As for funerals – my mom wants NOTHING - I had to sit her down and explain that for her grandson Kyle and for me there needed to be something, not big and crazy but a small gathering to share some stories and a cry or two… Kyle lost his other grandma and although he did not have much of a relationship with her he was a pall bearer and spoke at the service, I did talk it over with him and told him that grandma wanted something much more low key, so we will figure it out when the time comes.

My dad was raised a Christian scientist and they have a different take on the whole funeral thing; and with his mom (active Christian Scientist), and my mom’s mom (catholic) both trying to take over my dad’s service, it was a fiasco! The catholic grandma demanded a viewing with an open casket – I refused to go kiss my dead dad (I ended up refusing to go to the viewing at all) It took that grandma two years before she spoke to me again.. The service ended up being just graveside, and although the funeral home would provide a ride to and from the cemetery, my Uncle (dad’s brother) decided he was driving and was so broken up on the way home we got in a car crash, no one hurt but the rental car had to be towed away….

So for myself there is a company that will pack your ashes into fireworks then take the folks on a party boat out into international waters and put on a fireworks show…. I’d love to go out with a BANG!
    Smiles

Kim from N. California
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Been typing a post but DD keeps interrupting me and complaining about work. Now I'm exhausted so I'm going to bed. Will continue my post tomorrow.
    I did the recumbent bike for almost an hour today. Yea me.

Have a good day, My friends.

Love,
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Took the deep water class. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Stephanie Vitorio Body Target DVD.

Becca - so glad that Prudence understands and agrees with you!

Heather - your funeral (which better not be for a long, long, long time) sounds like exactly what I want. I want people to have a party. Celebrate, that's what I want

Sharon - you know what are really good? Root beer floats. Actually, that's about the only kind of float that I like. Your grandchildren sound so cute

NYKaren - how I wish Denise would have had a smaller wedding! But I know Pete was really into the "family being there to see them get married" type of thing. One of the reasons I wish they had a smaller wedding is because Denise doesn't have many at all from her side. Basically, Vince, me, Jess, Colby, her godparents. I have a feeling that Bryan isn't going to come and I know that she invited my friend from Switzerland but she can't come since this year they unexpectedly had to purchase a new car.

After exercising, I stopped at the Salvation Army then took these coke caps and boxtops for education to this one gal for the school

Denise called. Now she doesn't want to use the cake topper I got her but she wants to get this wooden "R" (the initial of their last name) and put my cake topper in front of the cake. I told her that that would look stupid since mine looks like it's meant to be a cake topper. A wooden "R" in front of the cake wouldn't look out of place, but an obvious cake topper would. So I asked her not to use mine. I would not be surprised if his mother bought that topper or convinced Denise that she should use an "R". I told her how the oil and butter from the icing will get into the wood, and no matter what you do, you will never be able to wash it completely off since wood is very porous. I bet his mother said "oh, you can wash it off". I told her that I have been doing crafts for a long time and have experience, it will get moldy and eventually disintegrate the wood. but if she has her heart set on this wooden "R", then not to use the cake topper I got her.

KJ - the only way Pete's mother would even CONSIDER meeting me is if I were to come up there. There is no way she would even meet me half way. No way. Form a partnership? No, it has to be her way. That's the way she feels, so I'll just go along. What goes around comes around, karma is a b**ch. I believe that. She'll get hers one day. Maybe this is why she is on her second marriage. She wants to help by doing everything HER way. Work with someone? Are you kidding?

katla - I am going to try to be as gracious as I can. I am going to try to believe that eventually Denise will see that I'm willing to put HER first. I'm an organ donor, too. I hope when I die that I am able to help at least one person.

I agree that funerals ARE for the living. But I also think that a nice memorial party would be good for the living, too.

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I didn't even realise that there is no necessity to have an actual funeral until the female funeral director came to give a talk to the WI. She let that one slip out and I asked her about it. I have never been to a funeral that I would want to be the body of. And over here it costs, at the minimum, $4,000 . Nearly everyone has a limousine or two and a shiny coffin. Most services, whether religious or not, are held at the crematorium. I want my family and friends to enjoy a delicious gourmet meal in a lovely restaurant with that money, play some great music I requested, pass round a few photos of me in my pomp and talk about how utterly marvellous I was. :D I hope to have published a few more books by then, so that is all the memorial I need.
    They can scatter half my ashes from a London bridge and half from a Paris one. :D
    I don't think we talk enough about death, which is, after all, part of everyone's life. DH is very resistant as he was traumatised by the passing of his his previous partner. In my view she made selfish choices, but I don't say that to him. She refused to countenance the fact that she was dying and consequently there was a lot of unnecessary suffering.

Got to take him up a cup of tea. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Allie - Get better. I hope it went well with the lawyer.

Chris - Glad you are enjoying your vacation. I hope your meeting went well.

Funerals - We had full Catholic services for Larry's Mom and Dad. I wondered who they were talking about at Ruth's and I had to give the eulogy at Joe's.
    My Dad - He always said he wanted to be pounded into a fence post hole so he could become fertilizer. We didn't do that. Mom picked a very plain casket because she figured Dad would like it.
    My Grandpas - My one Grandpa had what he would have called a Norwegian wake. Yes, a weekend of food, alcohol, music, games and laughter. One of my older cousins read his letter to us, a love letter to family and friends from a wonderful man.
    The other made all his own arrangements and paid in advance. There was a luncheon for 150 ( there were 147). There was music and laughter.
    They both opted for a "Man of the Cloth" to say a few words.

Today I got my hair cut and coloured after work. Grandpa was in charge so the boys did nothing until I got home. I was highly irritated with DH. We took the littles to the big playground while the older boys walked around the lake playing Pokemon Go. Came home , bbqed and visited then oldest grandson went off with his uncle to create music.

Plans are up in the air for what to do with the boys today. I have this day off so hopefully we can make it special.

-Sharon in Lethbridge ( 2 asthma attacks triggered by the smoke)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    I am up , but still feeling yucky, geesh how long does a cold last for crying out loud? anyway.. DGD will be here in a few hours, then off for my haircut...then home and phone conference with lawyer then take Chester to the vet.. by then I will be ready for bed but will wait until Tracy comes to pick up Taliah..
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Karen continued prayers the fires abate soon.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)